I was wondering if anyone has confirmed fines for using TetherBerry on Sprint. I have read a couple of users who have got charged $175 from Verizon. Has anyone actually had Sprint catch them with this app?
    11-10-09 01:39 PM
    If you don't use the 5gb limit on your "unlimited data plan" you will not get dinged with a charge. Tetherberry works like any app, it uploads and downloads data. All that is seen is data usage. Just don't go over your "unlimited data" limit.
    11-10-09 02:13 PM
    Is there an easy way to track total usage for a month?
    11-10-09 03:47 PM
    You can check your data usage at sprint.com. Tetherberry will also tell you how much data you've used during each session.
    11-10-09 04:08 PM
    I stand by my conclusion that sprint was unable to 'ding' you for tethering, and that's why they disabled any phone as modem tethering unless you pay for the package. Quite simply, if they could have distinguished tethered data, they'd let you do it, then bill the batsnot outta ya for doing so.

11-10-09 04:23 PM
    then bill the batsnot outta ya for doing so.

Bat snot! That's a cup full of awsome!
    11-10-09 05:40 PM
    If you don't use the 5gb limit on your "unlimited data plan" you will not get dinged with a charge. Tetherberry works like any app, it uploads and downloads data. All that is seen is data usage. Just don't go over your "unlimited data" limit.
    There is no limit on data usage on your handheld device. The 5gb limit is only on their wi-fi accounts.
    11-10-09 06:20 PM
    Somehow I managed to do 7.0gb one month on my BlackBerry. I have no idea how. I generally use 800-1000 MB's per mo.

They never gave me any crap about the 7GB.
    11-11-09 11:12 AM
    For one month they won't. Its if you go for repeded months they will.

And it is also for their phones, read the agreement you signed. It is worded along the lines of "we reserve the right to cap, disable, or reduce speed on any account using more than 5gb of data"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-09 02:42 PM
    ok as you probably know its on sale again today. So no one on sprint has been charge extra for this? Especially in the last 2-3 months when the blocked the DUN stuff
    11-30-09 08:19 AM
    To my understanding, the data usage from TetherBerry will appear no different to Sprint than regular BIS data used on your BB, it is not technically "tethering" but in fact funneling data THROUGH your blackberry onto your PC. I don't think you would have any problems unless you went crazy with it and used ungodly amounts of data (5gb+)

I just bought it and I am on Sprint as well, works great so far, though my connection speeds are less than expected (only getting about 400kbs down and 150kbs up) but it is still awesome. I don't even plan on using it very often, and when I do the speed will be just fine.
    11-30-09 08:33 AM
    I've always used it with no problems.
    11-30-09 09:23 AM
    do not listen to anybody on here, read your contract, you will get caught and will have to pay, search here obut the guy that had to pay 3 grand for that
    11-30-09 10:08 AM
    i have been using Tetherberry with VZW and i have had no issues. For one, VZW sells Tetherberry in their branded store. i see you are asking about Sprint but Sprint seems even more relaxed with their TOS.

Secondly, when you use Tetherberry it's using the Unlimited BlackBerry data plan that you have. i had checked my usage online and i show all Tethering with Tetherberry as "Unlimited BlackBerry Data" not "Domestic Mobile Broadband Connect" which i show 0 Kilobytes for.

Lastly, look at how Tetherberry actually works. It seems that unless you are streaming videos day and night your carrier will not notice any spike in BlackBerry data use. i stream music on my BlackBerry constantly so my usage stays pretty even.

i have heard old wives tales of people getting "caught" tethering but i don't know anyone who actually has. It seems a lot carrier reps get offended at the notion of using Tetherberry and like to post rumors of huge tethering bills to scare folks.

Go to the Tetherberry forums and read the threads there. That may put your mind at ease and you can learn how Tetherberry works.

From the TetherBerry forum:

THEY CANNOT DETECT YOU!!! If you are using tetherberry, they just see you using your data connection. Using the data connection has NO LIMITS. Tethering where your laptop is connecting directly to the verizon EVDO stuff does have a 5G limit, but that is NOT using the data connection. Tetherberry uses the data connection. It has a driver on your laptop that redirects TCP/IP traffic to the blackberry over USB and that gets forwarded to tetherberry's servers to validate your license and to also do some things (I think it's because on the blackberry, the IP address isn't actually on the phone, but at Verizon and the APN is how verizon communicates with it, so you need to get to a non-verizon server)...which you do.

So, unless Verizon knows what tetherberry's IP addresses are (and they could use a variable IP address using DDNS if they wanted to, Verizon wouldn't even be able to do that.

You are perfectly safe and there is absolutely nothing that Verizon can do about it other than to limit your data plan.

Here's another thread asking about Tetherberry
    11-30-09 10:22 AM
    Read the TOC on your contract, its all in there
    11-30-09 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD