Hello All,

I have a question about tethering my BB- I know that there are lots of discussions here regarding the potential data charges relating to tethering for folks on the Verizon network, but what about the T-Mobile users? I am one of those, and would like to be able to tether on my laptop at open houses occasionally, but don't want a huge surprise from TMO on my monthly bill. As anybody here had any problems, or do you think I am safe to use the internet on my "unlimited" data plan?

Thanks!
    04-11-10 01:23 PM
    Hmmm. "Safe" is a relative term, lol. You are going to get varying opinions, but you will be as "safe" as on any other carrier. You always run the risk of getting busted. However, I have yet to see any proof that anyone has been charged.

Conventional wisdom says that if you take it easy and don't go on downloading rampages, you should be fine. Others, like joeltruckerdude, say that they download to their heart's content with to reprisals. I believe them, but i don't have the huevos to try it.

I'm in the conservative camp that says that as long as you keep it to a gig or two you should be fine. I rarely go over 1 GB per month.
    04-11-10 01:39 PM
    Thanks for the help, but a quick question- How do you know how much data you are using, in order to keep it around 1 GB per month? And, is it only the downloading that raises usage, or is it all the time spent surfing? Sorry if that seems like a simple question, but I'm no expert!
    04-11-10 02:17 PM
    Thanks for the help, but a quick question- How do you know how much data you are using, in order to keep it around 1 GB per month? And, is it only the downloading that raises usage, or is it all the time spent surfing? Sorry if that seems like a simple question, but I'm no expert!
    Time spent surfing shouldn't really matter. It's the usage that I'm talking about. Whenever you open a new page or refresh the current page, you use some bandwidth, but not much. If you sit there while connected and just read an already opened page, it doesn't use any bandwidth. Downloading and especially streaming video is what really sucks it up. Stay off of YouTube and Hulu, lol!

Your carrier should have a website where you can login to your account and check your usage. VZW has an app where we can check it right from the phone as well as a website where we can check it.
    04-11-10 02:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD