Any discount codes for Tether out there right now????
    04-28-10 01:03 PM
    Can someone explain why purchase the program Tether, which is definately not cheap, versus using the software that comes free directly from RIM, the desktop manager?
    04-28-10 01:04 PM
    You avoid the monthly fees charged by the carrier. Tether routes data through the BlackBerry so uses your BlackBerry data plan. Tether has a one time fee.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-10 01:10 PM
    So you mean those unlimited web browser plans for black berry usage only? But the progrAm Tether tricks it as if it is using the blackberry browser but it is on a laptop that is surfing?

Cause I tried tethering using the desktop software, and it works and I think it is free also. But I signed up to a data plan instead of the unlimited browsing plans.

Or is it because some carriers charge additonal fees on top of data specifically to use tethering?
    04-28-10 01:19 PM
    Most carriers charge a monthly fee to tether in addition to the BIS/BES plan for BlackBerry. VZW is $30/month to tether in addition to $30/month for BIS for example.

04-28-10 01:22 PM
    Most carriers charge a monthly fee to tether in addition to the BIS/BES plan for BlackBerry. VZW is $30/month to tether in addition to $30/month for BIS for example.

I see. In that case it is worth it. I just know some carriers don't charge extra if you have a proper data plan (which is the fair thing to do I suppose).

So even if they use the desktop manager software, they cant escape the payment?
    04-28-10 01:27 PM
    I see. In that case it is worth it. I just know some carriers don't charge extra if you have a proper data plan (which is the fair thing to do I suppose).

So even if they use the desktop manager software, they cant escape the payment?
    I would love an answer to this one as well. I know that VZW charges you to tether if you use their 'software'. I've yet to try (except briefly to test the connection) and see if any additional data charges will be incurred from "Big Red".
    04-28-10 01:55 PM
    I would love an answer to this one as well. I know that VZW charges you to tether if you use their 'software'. I've yet to try (except briefly to test the connection) and see if any additional data charges will be incurred from "Big Red".
    I would suggest you call Verizon and check their "tether" option/price before Tethering with DM. I use the program Tether and it works fine. I have seen that people that use the DM to tether thinking it is free and later getting a large monthly bill.
    04-28-10 02:11 PM
    I too am wondering when this will go on sale again. I missed out last time.
    04-28-10 08:06 PM
    Anything? Anybody?
    05-01-10 12:56 PM
    I only paid $25 bucks for it....got it when it was on special...
    05-01-10 01:23 PM
    I fail to see how a program on your PC, could mask the data you're sucking up through the device, from your carrier. Maybe I'm missing something.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!
    I'm a Survivor Baby!But the dang game fizzled out

05-01-10 01:32 PM
    Any discount codes for Tether out there right now????
    Try lurking around what I call the "Share the love" thread for Mobihand coupons.
    Hey, 20% is better than nothing.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/mob...oupons-210997/
    05-01-10 01:37 PM
    I found this on another thread. Go to Berry Review and buy it using code Tether50. Ends up costing $24.97.
    05-08-10 12:57 PM
    Good find, thanks!

05-08-10 01:01 PM
    I fail to see how a program on your PC, could mask the data you're sucking up through the device, from your carrier. Maybe I'm missing something.
    That's why the advice is to not use Tether excessively. If used moderately most likely your account won't be looked into further. If the carrier did, they can probably assume that you're tethering by the amount of data per packet. With Slacker and other streaming apps though many BlackBerry users rack up large data amount. Maybe just not in a short time period like with tethering.

From the TetherBerry forum:

THEY CANNOT DETECT YOU!!! If you are using tetherberry, they just see you using your data connection. Using the data connection has NO LIMITS. Tethering where your laptop is connecting directly to the verizon EVDO stuff does have a 5G limit, but that is NOT using the data connection. Tetherberry uses the data connection. It has a driver on your laptop that redirect TCP/IP traffic to the blackberry over USB and that gets forwarded to tetherberry's servers to validate your license and to also do some things (I think it's because on the blackberry, the IP address isn't actually on the phone, but at Verizon and the APN is how verizon communicates with it, so you need to get to a non-verizon server)...which you do.

So, unless Verizon knows what tetherberry's IP addresses are (and they could use a variable IP address using DDNS if they wanted to, Verizon wouldn't even be able to do that.

You are perfectly safe and there is absolutely nothing that Verizon can do about it other than to limit your data plan.
    A rep on CrackBerry stated they've never seen anyone charged by VZW for using Tether. In the time i worked for VZW i never did either.

05-08-10 01:11 PM
    Try lurking around what I call the "Share the love" thread for Mobihand coupons.
    Hey, 20% is better than nothing.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/mob...oupons-210997/
    FANTASTIC! Thanks MadBradNYC! It worked Great!
    Last edited by davidlavin; 05-10-10 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Added Quote from post
    05-10-10 12:18 PM
    Ahhhhh! Now I understand.

WAPers do it With A Passion
    If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.
    Click Here To Be Banned*
    Drive a PwnCakes Hybrid. It'll keep your Onyx purring.

05-10-10 12:23 PM
    FANTASTIC! Thanks MadBradNYC! It worked Great!
    Np. Things seemed to get a little bit off topic, so I wanted to make sure you had an answer to your OP.

Peace...
    05-10-10 06:23 PM
    I found this on another thread. Go to Berry Review and buy it using code Tether50. Ends up costing $24.97.
    code doesn't seem to work anymore. Anyone else got a code?
    05-12-10 04:23 AM
    Any new Tether discounts?

Update: The Tether50 code is working right now at Berry Review. Just purchased it for $24.97.
    Last edited by jnj86; 06-03-10 at 05:38 PM.
    06-03-10 05:28 PM
    wow going to berry review and using the tether50 code works, awesome find!!! better grab your copy asap, it probably won't last for long.
    06-04-10 09:20 PM
    thank you soo much for that coupon code. i was waiting around for it to go on sale again.
    06-08-10 12:41 AM
    I will just add that Tether also provides a reliable and faster data connection. I have had Tether connected for hours at a time with no disconnections compared to tethering my 8320. Even though there are no extra charges for tethering on TMO, it was worth it to get tether for the reliability.

The bluetooth feature is nice as well, even though I had set up bluetooth tethering on my 8320.
    06-08-10 07:44 AM
    Code is still working.
    06-08-10 07:47 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD