Hi Guys,

Saw on the main page an application called Tether. I'm wondering, what is the point of it? Seems quite expensive and I can already use my device for the internet by using the feature in Blackberry Desktop Manager. Sorry i'm just a bit confused about it lol.

Thanks!
    07-30-10 09:05 AM
    You are correct that the IP modem option in DM does the same thing. There is one notable difference. Using the DM method, you are truly using your BB as a modem and tethering Some carriers have restrictions on this, so you should check. Tether actually installs a network adapter (like a VPN) and routes traffic through Tether's file servers. You are not using your BB as a modem, although you are using your data connection.

I purchased Tether when if first came out, and the DM option was not available. You could manually set up a modem connection, but the connection was slow, and often dropped off. With Tether, I can connect and stay online for hours at a time.
    07-30-10 09:27 AM
    Well, I use Desktop Manager through Rogers... I've never been charged, never had the connection dropped (never used it for more than an hour though) and the speeds have been pretty good. So, I don't see the point in buying the software but I guess if your carrier charged you extra it would be worth it.
    07-30-10 11:26 AM
    FWIW, Tether is on sale today for 50% off.
    07-30-10 11:30 AM
    Thanks for the explanation wnm, definately understand it better now.
    07-30-10 11:50 AM
    You're welcome.
    07-30-10 12:19 PM
    FWIW, Tether is on sale today for 50% off.
    Where is the 50% off deal at? Thanks
    07-30-10 01:48 PM
    CB App store (Mobihand).
    07-30-10 01:51 PM
    is Tether worth the $25?? I don't have the modem option available thru DM. I found some instructions on the internet to manually add a modem...it worked for awhile, but now I can never connect to a number...so I need something. Just don't waste $25, that's a big hunk of change
    07-30-10 02:39 PM
    As I stated in an earlier post, the impetus for me buying tether was that I could not get my manually configured modem connection to stay connected. Not to mention ease of use.
    07-30-10 02:41 PM
    Thanks I got it today for the 50% off price. I'm not sure how often I'll use it but just two days at $13+ a day for internet in hotel rooms when traveling pays for itself.
    07-30-10 05:43 PM
    Remember - if you Tether and it isn't part of your plan, be very cautious. Most BlackBerry data plans are unlimited, but there is a soft cap and it will cause flags if your data use skyrockets suddenly. If you're going to Tether, make sure you gradually up your data usage over a few months (ie - if you regularly use, say, 200mb each month, start slowly increasing it, like 200mb, 400mb, 600mb, etc). That way it doesn't look super obvious that something's up one month.

Basically, don't use Tether to stream movies.

If you're careful with it you should be OK, but remember, it is technically against your TOS to use tethering if it isn't part of your plan.
    07-30-10 05:54 PM
    Already a bunch of threads lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-10 06:23 PM
    Ill stick to DM its free and it does its job

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-30-10 06:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD