Has anyone tried either of these voice activated search tools yet? I'm curious about how well they performed and which one performed better than the other.

I do know that the Tellme application uses your GPS so I'm assuming that it will only work with GPS enabled blackberrys. I'm not sure about the onesearch app though.

Tellme | Say it. Get It.
    Yahoo! oneSearch�. Get answers with search designed for mobile.
    04-23-08 11:39 AM
    I Had Yahoo OneSearch And To Me It Was Horrible

And

I Just DownLoaded TellMe And It's Great, Very User Friendly!!!

That's Just Me Though!!!
    04-23-08 05:10 PM
    If Verizon didn't cripple the GPS, I would LOVE to try TellMe. DAMN you Verizon!!!
    04-23-08 06:54 PM
    I've just recently downloaded and used both.

Yahoo OneSearch was unable to recognize my voice accurately with any degree of consistency. Also, it does not use the GPS at all - you have to tell it the location you want to search. As a result, it is basically pointless.

Microsoft's TellMe looks nice, runs much faster than OneSearch and was pretty spot on with accuracy.

The weird thing is that it uses the GPS - but not for ordering search results. The GPS is used to identify what city you are in and then searches are based on the city database, not your location. So, it knows you are in, say, Dallas - but it won't search based on where you are in Dallas - it just searches from the city center. You can't even give it a zip code in the search. But then, when you ask for directions to a place it has identified, it pulls your gps info and gives you turn by turn directions. This just makes no sense. The GPS info should be integrated into the search results. There are no option settings to fix this.

Accordingly, Tellme doesn't really get the job done either. Neither of them really offer any reason for me to stop using Google Maps and Telenav. The talking front end is just a gimmick - it doesn't read the results back to you (so you are going to have to interact with the device manually on the back end regardless of how well it recognized your initial request) and you are unlikely to get a usable set of results.
    Last edited by raubin; 04-24-08 at 09:55 AM.
    04-23-08 08:14 PM
    I agree that the voice recognition is merely a gimmick. They are both good if the spoken words only have one possible spelling, but that is fairly uncommon. For example, a search for a cafe called "Joan's on 3rd" shows up as "Jones on Third.". So, you end up having to manually adjust it anyway. It doesn't really save time, it's just sort of "cool" when it works.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-08 07:50 AM
    it may have been me, But I found this software very bugy, I kept getting error when using it on a 8320
    04-24-08 12:10 PM
    I've just recently downloaded and used both.

Yahoo OneSearch was unable to recognize my voice accurately with any degree of consistency. Also, it does not use the GPS at all - you have to tell it the location you want to search. As a result, it is basically pointless.

Microsoft's TellMe looks nice, runs much faster than OneSearch and was pretty spot on with accuracy.

The weird thing is that it uses the GPS - but not for ordering search results. The GPS is used to identify what city you are in and then searches are based on the city database, not your location. So, it knows you are in, say, Dallas - but it won't search based on where you are in Dallas - it just searches from the city center. You can't even give it a zip code in the search. But then, when you ask for directions to a place it has identified, it pulls your gps info and gives you turn by turn directions. This just makes no sense. The GPS info should be integrated into the search results. There are no option settings to fix this.

Accordingly, Tellme doesn't really get the job done either. Neither of them really offer any reason for me to stop using Google Maps and Telenav. The talking front end is just a gimmick - it doesn't read the results back to you (so you are going to have to interact with the device manually on the back end regardless of how well it recognized your initial request) and you are unlikely to get a usable set of results.
    hear, hear.

the one thing tellme ( maybe Yahoo One Search, have not try it yet) work better than the Google version ( 1-800-Goog-411), is since Tellme is using data, I don't have to waste my minutes to call Goog 411
    04-25-08 04:50 PM
    Tellme all the way 100% on my must have apps!!!
    04-25-08 10:42 PM
    Raubin,

I agree with you 100% and more. TellMe is actually less than useless the way it is now- it is misleading. It doesn't give you the closest result at all- if you are in a strange area, you can wind up going miles out of your way, when what you need is literally around the corner- or right in front of you. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but just in case others don't see it, here's an example:

I was standing in the parking lot of a lawn mower sales and service store. 20 feet from the door. I say to TellMe, "lawnmower sales and service". It the comes back with a listing. #1 on the list was a store 2.5 miles away. #2 on the list was the store whose parking lot I was standing in. I've got plenty more examples... Between its being slow and being wrong, I just don't see the usefulness. Right now, TellMe is a complete waste of electrons. Too bad- I _really_ wanted to like it. Maybe they'll improve it when TellMe SP1 comes out
    04-27-08 05:22 PM
    For me, they both recognize the words I'd spoken pretty accurately and the search time wasn't too bad either (for both). I kinda like Microsoft's interface a bit more... it's a cleaner look whereas Yahoo's OneSearch interface looks a bit more cluttered to me. Oh well, it's probably just me. lol

One thing though, I can never get the GPS to lock on with TellMe. It kept searching and searching and then finally gave up.
    04-27-08 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD