Let me be the first to say---->Haven't been this amped up about a phone since the launch of the Storm 1 (RIP).

That being said, I am a bit concerned with the photo quality, especially after using the Droid Incredible 1 & 2 with 8mp cameras and becoming accustom to taking and uploading documents by scanning with the camera (very useful once you get used to it).

MY QUESTION: Anyone think this camera can be improved through software updates or a smarta$$ APP of some sort?
    08-15-11 09:57 PM
    If you mean the 9900 camera, I asked the same question to the developer of PDF Scanner, who's program takes beautiful PDF scans of a single or multiple pages easily added up into one PDF and can be sent directly and attached in an email with the program itself.

So I was thinking, since these guys probably know a lot about phone cameras, they might have a trick up their sleeves to enhance the focus perhaps by some digital focus.

The answer, quite disappointing but expected:

Technology Fanboy to Melon Mobile:

Hi,

As you may be aware, the BlackBerry Bold Touch 9900's camera does not
    have AutoFocus. I use your application and bought it as it helps my
    9780 produce perfect sharp, crisp scans.

I believe that your application even enhances the autofocus present on the 9650 / 9700 / 9700

Now my question is, since we know that the 9900 produces crappy close up pictures of text. Will your application if updated to support the
    9900 series, be able to enhance the quality of close up pics and scans?

Kindly confirm as I need to purchase it soon. Thank you
    Reply:

Dear technology-fanboy,

Thank you for contacting us.

We consulted our Technical department and they confirmed that the quality of the pictures taken with PDF Scanner depends on the camera of the device itself, not on our application.

PDF Scanner does not make any additional manipulation or adaptation of the pictures taken.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again anytime.

Best regards,

Customer Support Team
    Melon Mobile

I am still getting the 9900 but was just wondering like you are.
    08-16-11 12:07 AM
    A goood friend of mine, who also does Hybriding for this forums, Zocastr, says that software updates could improve the performance of the camera, as it improves the performance of the phone overall. otherwise, why would we need soo many software updates? Im pretty sure leaks will start rolling soon enough and carriers will push the update that they believe solve the most problems.
    08-16-11 01:16 AM
    A goood friend of mine, who also does Hybriding for this forums, Zocastr, says that software updates could improve the performance of the camera, as it improves the performance of the phone overall. otherwise, why would we need soo many software updates? Im pretty sure leaks will start rolling soon enough and carriers will push the update that they believe solve the most problems.
    A software update will not make your EDoF camera take photos of close up text. Period.

I have ordered my 9900 and am willing to sacrifice this for the beauty of the phone
    08-16-11 08:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD