Since AT&T blocks Blackberry Maps app so that you are forced to use their paid AT&T Navigation app and service, is there a work around or a free app that can fix this problem? I like Blackberry Maps a lot and I prefer it over Google maps. Help!
    08-30-10 09:11 AM
    08-30-10 09:17 AM
    i personally don't like bb maps but I did want to try it, so what I found to be the easiest way was to go into desktop manager and make sure you have it installed. Then, get quicklaunch. If you don't already have it, yes its a paid app, but get it anyway its worth it. Built into quicklaunch is the ability to launch any app on your phone, even if there's no icon for it. Open quicklaunch and in the add items area add blackberry maps, then you can open it from quicklaunch just like as if it was an icon.
    08-30-10 09:31 AM
    i personally don't like bb maps but I did want to try it, so what I found to be the easiest way was to go into desktop manager and make sure you have it installed. Then, get quicklaunch. If you don't already have it, yes its a paid app, but get it anyway its worth it. Built into quicklaunch is the ability to launch any app on your phone, even if there's no icon for it. Open quicklaunch and in the add items area add blackberry maps, then you can open it from quicklaunch just like as if it was an icon.
    Thanks Kevin I had someone else recommend Quicklaunch also. That will be my last resort.

We are?
    08-30-10 09:43 AM
    Honestly, GoogleMaps is much better.
    I strip BBmaps off my BB with "Shrink-a-os" before installing so it does not take up space.
    08-30-10 10:06 AM
    PENN STATE. haha, i didn't even see your location when I posted. Love it. I just graduated May 09, living in hburg now.
    08-30-10 10:07 AM
    Go to mobile.blackberry.com and go to link that says download BB maps click it it downloads lbs ribbon to phone this allows BB maps icon to show that worked for me on my att 9700.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-10 10:57 AM
    Go to mobile.blackberry.com and go to link that says download BB maps click it it downloads lbs ribbon to phone this allows BB maps icon to show that worked for me on my att 9700.

This has worked for me numerous times. I had to do this again recently when a new theme I downloaded caused my BB maps icon to disappear. It's a simple procedure.
    Last edited by Cherman; 08-30-10 at 11:27 AM.
    08-30-10 11:21 AM
    This has worked for me numerous times. I had to do this again recently when a new theme I downloaded caused my BB maps icon to disappear. It's a simple procedure.
    I have five different themes and it isn't in any of thme nuangel's suggestion didn't work, I can see the lbs_ribbon file in applications but that's it.
    08-30-10 11:53 AM
    I have BBMaps, Google and Garmin installed. They each have strengths and weaknesses.
    08-30-10 12:00 PM
    Google maps is better than bb maps, however ONE feature I like about BB Maps is the it gives you GPS Satelite information (sats locked, longitude & latitude, speed, etc) Which I find useful.
    08-30-10 01:07 PM
    Google maps is better than bb maps, however ONE feature I like about BB Maps is the it gives you GPS Satelite information (sats locked, longitude & latitude, speed, etc) Which I find useful.
    08-30-10 01:55 PM
    I get all of that (Except Speed) while using Google Maps.

I just have a short cut to my "GPS Config" page in quick launch. Click, and there it is.
    08-30-10 02:20 PM
    I have BBMaps, Google and Garmin installed. They each have strengths and weaknesses.
    Are any of the apps you use offer voice turn by turn directions and is Garmin a paid service?

I love your avatar!
    08-30-10 03:07 PM
    Are any of the apps you use offer voice turn by turn directions and is Garmin a paid service?

I love your avatar!
    I know you weren't asking me, but I've used all 3 of those.

Garmin is a paid app (Not free) and is the only one of those 3 that offer Voice Guided Turn by turn.

You have several threads on this topic going (bad "netiquette" ) and so it's hard to keep up with who's mentioned what.

But, there are only 2 free programs that offer Voice Guided, turn by turn. "WAZE" and "Life in Pocket" - I've used both and was not pleased with either.
    WAZE -was way off base, had problems re-routing if you went off course, and seemed to really suck the battery.
    "Life in Pocket" - I could not get past the poorly designed user interface to really use it much.
    08-30-10 03:15 PM
    If you rely on GPS mapping for directions, Garmin is worth it's weight in gold. Google is awesome for quick lookups, satelite and street view, and I find best when you have a good sense where you're going, and BBMaps offers compass guidance along with better mapping at times.
    08-30-10 08:00 PM
    yea google is amazing.. theres an ota download ling on google it works great
    08-30-10 08:13 PM
    08-30-10 08:17 PM
    Also, something that works well with Google Maps, and works cross-platform, as opposed to BBMaps through BBM, when you want to show someone your location is:
    Superstore
    It's worth the $1 I think they charge.
    08-30-10 08:21 PM
    Also, something that works well with Google Maps, and works cross-platform, as opposed to BBMaps through BBM, when you want to show someone your location is:
    Superstore
    It's worth the $1 I think they charge.
    No need to pay for this.

The new version of Google maps has the option to send your location by TXT or Email built in.

Go to "My Location" from the menu, then click your Touchpad on your location. On that screen are some options, like local search, along with a "Send Location to Others."

It sends them a mobile friendly link to the Mobile Google maps web based map for your location.
    08-30-10 10:03 PM
    All you need is to download a created BB Maps Launcher and there ya go...I downloaded it from this forum several weeks ago and it works perfect. You can place it on your home screen or wherever. And its free. Just use the search feature.

08-30-10 10:07 PM
    I scoured the earth for a fix and I found it, I use the ideas from this thread and several others. Since AT&T blocks the app I read a thread where you would install any theme but AT&T's stocked theme and install Maps from Desktop Manager. That's it once it's on the phone you can use any theme you want. I'd like to thanks everyone for their input.
    08-31-10 09:12 AM
    I have five different themes and it isn't in any of thme nuangel's suggestion didn't work, I can see the lbs_ribbon file in applications but that's it.
    Don't know what to tell you. Just to be sure, you ran the OTA app from BlackBerry to install the Ribbon? Do you have any hidden icons? Hidden folders? Have you looked in all of your folders? Themes often change the default map icon and perhaps you missed it? Hope you find a solution. BB maps is a nice adjunct to Google maps. Wish I could help. Oh, and you are correct, the ribbon file does appear in Options/Applications but until I ran the install app again the icon just would not show up. After the install, I always had to hunt it down. Good luck.
    08-31-10 01:29 PM
    Usually what I did when I wanted to launch BB Maps was send myself a message with the address I wanted to look up (or ANY address for that matter) then hover over the address, press the menu button, and choose Open with BB Maps.
    08-31-10 06:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD