So I tried out a G1 and didn't really like it (my current phone is a dying treo 680) and now have my heart set on trying out a BB Curve 8900. So I have now spent over 4 hours at 3 T-Mobile stores where they have activated 5 BB Curve 8900 handsets with the same problem. The handset boots all the way up, you can look at the welcome to t-mobile messages, etc. then the screen displays app error 523 with reset below it, and when you reset it comes up with the same message. All Reps said they had never seen this before, one rep called BB support and he said they told him they had no idea either. They tried upgrading my SIM card twice, then tried a new SIM card without my info on it. All same results. T-Mobile pretty much said try a different phone but no BB 8900 for me. So now I'm left with a G1 or switching to another carrier (I'm thinking the Storm on Verizon) but am hesitating with the new unlimited loyalty family plan for $89.98.
    Any ideas??????? Can I get a Curve to work?
    03-05-09 01:15 AM
    Well since it's happening over multiple curves, and the sim has been replaced also, that pretty much leaves the service. Sounds like somebody messed up in setting up the BB account. I am sure you will be able to eventually get a 8900 to work but it might take the intervention of some tech support people at tmobile. It may just be a matter of climbing the CS ladder enough to get someone who knows whats going on. I couldn't imagine this happening to someone who ordered their BB either online or via phone.
    I am assuming you have the data plan for the treo and the G1. Was this changed to BB service?
    I would try taking off all data services first, then get the 8900 and once the phone is up and running, add the BB service?
    BTW I am far from knowledgeable about this stuff and I could be completely wrong, but a service problem is the only thing that makes sense to me. Hopefully someone who actually knows cool stuff like this will reply and give a better answer to us both cuz now I'm just curious.
    Last edited by skyboxer; 03-05-09 at 01:49 AM.
    03-05-09 01:29 AM
    Erm did they update ur service soo your not on a G1 plan, but a BIS plan?
    03-05-09 02:33 AM
    yes they tried both removing the total internet add-on and replacing with the BB add-on and removing my data service all together and then adding the BB add-on - same results app error - the last t-mobile sales guy told me it was a problem wiht my "line" - I added the G1 plan when I left there with the G1 so I would have a working phone........
    03-05-09 03:43 AM
    Seems like they would have set you up with a new "line" and ported the number over, then deducted the original line. It would take some kind of supervisor to approve that but it should have been do-able. If you are out of contract you could just add a line to get the berry going then drop the original yourself but you would have a new number then.
    T-mobile should be able to fix this.
    03-05-09 03:54 AM
    Error 523 has to do with Java. Problem is easily solved by either updating the BB or wiping it.
    03-05-09 05:09 AM
    I'm hesitant to leave the store with a non-functional phone and taking it home to try to update or reload the OS. I kinda feel like if T-mobile wants to keep my business they should be able to fix the problem.
    03-05-09 06:30 AM
    Hello All, Im new to the BB forms. I too have had issues with the T-mobile G1 & upgraded to the BB 8900 (my wife had the 8900 already). After receiving my new 8900 I got the "app error 523 reset". After dealing with TMO tech support, who was no help I got transferred to BB tech support, 3hrs later they isolated the problem to the my faves app, BB tech support told TMO that nothing is wrong with the phone. However TMO decided that it was a phone issue and sent a total of 4 different 8900's & I still don't have the my faves app. TMO has no idea what's going on & I keep getting the run around when I call. During all of this my wife's 8900 is working fine, go figure! I am thinking of canceling TMO & going with ATT's iphone. Good luck to all with the "app error 523 reset" problem. Happy Easter!
    04-11-09 10:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD