I have been using GMail/Calendar with my 9700 for a long time.

Originally I used Google Sync but this was a very hit or miss business and never out of beta which is a bit worrying.

Next I tried Goosync and this worked fine until I found that on OS5 latest iterations Google Sync is built in. Time to give up the paid service!

Since a native application is always the best way to go I switched to this and, O bliss, it worked just fine. Updates on the BB instantly on GCal and a delay the other way round. PERFECTOMUNDO!

Trouble is that this has suddenly stopped working. On checking round the web it seemed to a problem for some folks who fixed it by deleting their BIS email service and then reconnecting. This sort of worked for me in that there were lots of duplicates - a common but not impossible problem.

However sync still did not work with any new entries.

Any ideas? An FAQ on this would be especially welcome. Outlook has nothing to do with it for me.

Thanks

Richard
    07-06-11 02:05 AM
    Fixed. I had forgotten the very old fix of removing the battery and counting to 10.

After that there was yet another login screen appeared on the email setup and then bingo...
    07-06-11 05:57 AM
    So I am having the same issues.. I started out using the google sync to sync my contact and calendar. Then a few days later I setup my gmail using the email type app. I also set it up to sync the cal and contacts over BIS while getting email there. Problem is now I have like 10x more contacts and 3x more calendar events..

Which method did you end up using?? I have heard the google sync works better than the BIS sync through the email. Also any ideas on how to delete all the old entries.

Sorry, I am new to this and just got a BB for the first time a few days ago..
    07-16-11 04:45 PM
    I have had nothing but trouble with all things related to google sync. My only solution was to not do it at all and just sync with blackberry desktop manager. Sorry if that is weak advice but it worked for me.
    07-16-11 09:49 PM
    austriker, this is what I have tried so far.

First of all I used Google sync but this was always a problem, mainly being unreliable by only intermittantly syncing. I was also very concerned that this software has never come out of beta testing.

Since calendar and contact sync is essential for me and I don't use Desktop I started to use goosync which is a chargeable service. I had to also buy another client to run on the BB. Actually I didn't mind too much since a working service was all I wanted. They offer multiple calendars but this was not a requirement for me.

This started to go pear shaped when support was not so good at that time and I heard that BB had a native sync service built in.

This seemed to me to answer the question as to why Google Sync was still in beta since Google would put zero resources into something the manufacturer was working on, although they must have supported BB.

BTW all the sync options seem to dupe which is a real real pain and there doesn't seem to be any easier way than just to manually delete. Once the first sync has been made and dupes deleted then dupes don't happen.

So after an update of BB os5 I found that sync was indeed included BUT this was also a bit iffy at first. Digging around I found that many people had the same problem and the solution that worked was:-

1. Delete out the email service on the BB. Setup�email setup
    2. Add email again remembering to delete out the darned auto signature.
    3. You will see that the sync options are there
    4. Remove battery. Count to 10 etc etc etc

The other thing I would recommend is to put all email thru GMail. This has the best spam/virus traps I know and you can still use your ATnT email address if you wish.

Since sorting this out 9700 sync both ways has been 100%. Putting an item on BB seems to be almost instantly appearing on GCal. Items put on GCal take rather longer to appear on the BB but this seems to be normal.

Another thing that is useful is to either install Blackberry Protect which is their backup to the cloud and is free OR use desktop to backup.

Hope this helps.
    austriker likes this.
    07-17-11 02:51 AM
    Hi organum, thanks for your extensive reply..

alrighty. Well this is a pain. So I logged on in my web browser to my gmail and am working on deleting all the extra contacts. Its a huge mess. Most of the contacts I have 5 or more duplicates. I went from about 110 contacts to 500.

So I logged out of google sync and removed the contact/calendar sync from the native email setup. I need to figure this out. like I said I just got the blackberry and absolutely love it. But this might be a breaking point because I use gmail calendar and contacts a lot on my computer at home and work.

I think the problem is that gmail will send the contacts to the phone but wont recognize the duplicates when the BB sends back contacts/calendar events during the sync.

I dont have the desktop setup yet and am using a mac so I hope it works with mac. Oh and I dont have a USB cable since I bought this used. I dont have an 'att' email address and am not quite sure what that means, but I guess thats irrelevant right now.

Sorry your post confused me a bit. But basically it sounds like there isnt a real good way to do this. But desktop sync seems to sound like the best option? So I tried your steps 1-4. I removed the gmail acct in the native email app, reset it up, did not enable cal/contacts sync and then removed battery. It didnt help. Should it help remove the duplicates?

Also a problem is not having a great way of viewing the messages, both the native email and gmail app arent perfect for doing gmail. Like the native is worked into the OS well and does HTML decently well but it only has messages that you get after you set it up (no prev. messages). The gmail app you can see previous messages, labels and the like but formatting is poor (no HTML) and its not really incorporated into the OS well (like no icon for new emails)..
    Last edited by austriker; 07-18-11 at 10:59 PM.
    07-17-11 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD