I noticed that when I install Appworld for the first time and login via my BlackBerry ID, it asks me do I want to Add or Switch Device.

From my understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong..

Does this mean that I can backup my 9780 right now. Sell it, and after a few days, when I get the 9900, install BlackBerry Protect, then upon logging in, select Switch Device?

Would that move all my contacts and settings and emails to my new 9900?

Would it move the BlackBerry contacts to or must I re add them again?

Thanks in advance for your answer
    08-15-11 09:39 PM
    This does not switch BBM contacts. I tried. Does not work.
    08-15-11 09:41 PM
    This does not switch BBM contacts. I tried. Does not work.
    That's what I thought since I did not see BBM contacts in the backup items listed.

Thank you for confirming then.

But I can switch everything else right? If I had a buyer like today wanting to buy my phone before the 9900 is released? Do you think it's quiete reliable?
    08-15-11 09:47 PM
    I also have a question about bb protect. If i sync the new phone with google but also restore with bb protect will i get duplicate contacts in my phone? thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-11 10:18 PM
    I also have a question about bb protect. If i sync the new phone with google but also restore with bb protect will i get duplicate contacts in my phone? thanks

You might but I have never had it give me double contacts.
    Last edited by technology-fanboy; 08-15-11 at 11:11 PM.
    amboy83 likes this.
    08-15-11 10:26 PM
    go into bbm and register the backups to an email account, once you readd that email account to your new phone, do a restore from the email account and your bbm contacts will be back. aside from taking out a memory card from the old to the new for those items, BB Protect will restore everything else to the new device.

should cover the basics for the transfer
    08-15-11 10:37 PM

Yes, you WILL get dupes. You will also get dupes if you backup using vzw backup assistant and bb protect.

08-15-11 11:09 PM
    That's what I thought since I did not see BBM contacts in the backup items listed.

Thank you for confirming then.

But I can switch everything else right? If I had a buyer like today wanting to buy my phone before the 9900 is released? Do you think it's quiete reliable?
    Yes, you can backup a phone using bb protect, sell the phone, then a week or two later - restore that data to a new device. Bb protect will even give you multiple restore dates. I recently swapped out a 9650, I backed it up, wiped it then restored to my new device. A week later I had to redo the contact loading process due to an OS install mess up...I saw 3 backups from my old 9650 available for me to use to restore. Good luck!

08-15-11 11:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD