I have noticed in cold weather my keys wont respond to touch correctly, anyone else?
    04-04-09 04:34 AM
    I have noticed in cold weather my keys wont respond to touch correctly, anyone else?
    I live in NY havent really noticed any difference.
    04-04-09 06:28 AM
    I have heard that it is a little bit more difficult when your fingers are cold for the device to sense the touches. It was the same way when I had my Voyager.

Of course, when it's cold out, everything works worse and all bets are off...
    04-04-09 07:07 AM
    i'm a mechanic and i've left my phone on the dash of my truck so i can see the LED blinking, or have left it in my outer non insulated coverall pocket. the storm does NOT like cold weather. when I put the storm in my hand to warm up, my hand got condensation all over the screen, and it was un responsive until the phone screen warmed up and dried out.
    04-04-09 08:40 AM
    the screen is heat sensitive, thats why if you were to try and open something using a pen, it doesnt detect it.

Hense in cold a) if your fingers are cold it will take longer to recognise then, and b) the screen will be cold and also will take longer to warm to recognise your finger.

Itl be the same with the iphone, but as the iphone screen is sealed, wheres as ours is more exposed due to it being a button, it makes it slightly worse.
    04-04-09 09:13 AM
    Oh Lord, I work outside in the winter a lot, this may be a problem next winter. I never had this issue with the IPhone.
    Last edited by Bettermost; 04-04-09 at 03:00 PM.
    04-04-09 02:39 PM
    the screen is heat sensitive, thats why if you were to try and open something using a pen, it doesnt detect it.

Hense in cold a) if your fingers are cold it will take longer to recognise then, and b) the screen will be cold and also will take longer to warm to recognise your finger.

Itl be the same with the iphone, but as the iphone screen is sealed, wheres as ours is more exposed due to it being a button, it makes it slightly worse.
    For the love of...

The screen is not "heat sensitive"!! It's a touchscreen base on capacitance technology. There is no "heat sensor" anywhere in the device for the purposes of detecting where your finger touches the screen.

There's a grid under the glass of the screen that has a constant charge being put through it. This is the field that the computer knows as the base charge. If you angle the screen in the light just right, you will see a grid of dots.

Your finger (or any other body part) has an active charge to it too, since it's biological. When you put your finger on the screen's grid, it disturbs the base field on the screen because your finger's active charge is different than the one on the screen. Sensors can then tell where your finger is based on that disturbance.

A normal non-biological item like a pencil doesn't have an active charge, thus it does nothing to disturb the field on the screen and the sensors won't pick it up.
    04-04-09 03:31 PM
    I went skiing in Breckenridge and had my Blackberry Storm (9530) in a pocket on the outside of my ski jacket.

The temperature was around 20 degrees and very windy. After an hour in these conditions the Storm was completely unusable. It wouldn't recognize any finger touches at all. Once inside it worked fine after warming up for around 5-10 minutes.

In my experience quick exposure to cold temperatures has little effect. However, prolonged exposure to extremely low temperatures puts the device out of commission.
    04-04-09 03:40 PM
    I went skiing in Breckenridge and had my Blackberry Storm (9530) in a pocket on the outside of my ski jacket.

The temperature was around 20 degrees and very windy. After an hour in these conditions the Storm was completely unusable. It wouldn't recognize any finger touches at all. Once inside it worked fine after warming up for around 5-10 minutes.

In my experience quick exposure to cold temperatures has little effect. However, prolonged exposure to extremely low temperatures puts the device out of commission.
    Yup thats what happened to me the other day when it was about 30 outside. GREAT! I would bet this explains the reason for hard keys for answer and hang up also. crap crap crap
    Last edited by Bettermost; 04-04-09 at 05:46 PM.
    04-04-09 05:40 PM
    For the love of...

The screen is not "heat sensitive"!! It's a touchscreen base on capacitance technology. There is no "heat sensor" anywhere in the device for the purposes of detecting where your finger touches the screen.

There's a grid under the glass of the screen that has a constant charge being put through it. This is the field that the computer knows as the base charge. If you angle the screen in the light just right, you will see a grid of dots.

Your finger (or any other body part) has an active charge to it too, since it's biological. When you put your finger on the screen's grid, it disturbs the base field on the screen because your finger's active charge is different than the one on the screen. Sensors can then tell where your finger is based on that disturbance.

A normal non-biological item like a pencil doesn't have an active charge, thus it does nothing to disturb the field on the screen and the sensors won't pick it up.
    Thank you, I didnt want to be the one to shoot him down, b/c he was definitely misinformed.
    04-04-09 05:53 PM
    After mine warmed up and the condensation from my hand being over it went away, it worked fine.
    04-04-09 06:44 PM
    I was in St. Louis this winter and I noticed the same thing. My Storm would become almost completely unresponsive in extremely cold weather. I think I was running .75 back then. As soon as I got back in the office, everything was back to normal, this happened pretty much every day.
    04-04-09 06:48 PM
    You can purchase special gloves to deal with this issue. I'd post a link if I had it.
    04-04-09 07:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD