Hi all,

My storm recently failed. I have today received a repaired one from vodafone, and I restored a recent backup I took before the phone broke.

Everything such as my phonebook and email accounts seem to have been restored correctly, but such things as app world, facebook, poynt, viigo and the like are now missing, since I did the restore onto the repaired phone.

Is this always the case or did I do something wrong?

Steve
    08-28-09 04:31 AM
    It depends on what kind of backup you did. In desktop manager, the most typical backup is just your data and settings.
    This is things like your messages and address book. There is a full phone backup that occurs when you reload or upgrade your OS that backs up all of tie 3rd party apps.

Do you still have the old phone?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-09 05:29 AM
    I am not sure if it is the same phone or not that I got back, I don't know how to tell. I did have to log in to vodafones mobile email service and update the pin and IMEI number to make my email accounts work again.

When I did a backup I think I must have done whatever the default is, I don't remember changing any settings. So perhaps I didn't do a full phone backup as you suggested.
    08-28-09 05:39 AM
    I am not sure if it is the same phone or not that I got back, I don't know how to tell. I did have to log in to vodafones mobile email service and update the pin and IMEI number to make my email accounts work again.

When I did a backup I think I must have done whatever the default is, I don't remember changing any settings. So perhaps I didn't do a full phone backup as you suggested.
    If you had to update the PIN, you have a different phone. The PINs are unique and never reused. Think of the PIN as a serial # for your BB.

Desktop Manager doesn't even give you the option to back up third party apps. I wish it did. Right now, the only way to back up third party apps using DM is to use the Device Switch wizard and manually create a backup. There is no obvious "Backup Apps" button or setting.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ho...-4-7-a-125449/
    08-28-09 06:07 AM
    Where did you purchase the apps from.

08-28-09 06:11 AM
    Ok, so I will have to download and reinstall the apps I had. It is a shame that the desktop manager doesn't do this, I Just expected that it would. It is kind of an obvious thing that people would want backing up. Not even app world was backed up!

Where did you purchase the apps from.

App world. I only had free apps though.
    08-28-09 06:48 AM
    You need the follow the instruction in the thread Carlos posted in order to be sure your 3rd party apps are backed up. Also IF you have 2 devices, you can use the Device Switch Wizard in DM to transfer the Apps, settings and data from the old BB to the new one. It appears thou in this case your only option is to re-download and install, and in the case of paid apps try contacting the developer for a new reg code.
    08-28-09 08:00 AM
    You need the follow the instruction in the thread Carlos posted in order to be sure your 3rd party apps are backed up. Also IF you have 2 devices, you can use the Device Switch Wizard in DM to transfer the Apps, settings and data from the old BB to the new one. It appears thou in this case your only option is to re-download and install, and in the case of paid apps try contacting the developer for a new reg code.
    Thanks for your help.

P.S. I didn't put the thread in the 3rd Party Apps forum because it wasn't a question about 3rd party apps per se, it was a question about the BB DM restore process.

Steve
    08-28-09 08:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD