So I was playing the Sims 3 on my ipod touch and I was like "wow this has was better graphics than the storms Sims 3". Then I compared the two facebook apps, ipod=smooth and fluent, storm=choppy and glitchy. then rollercoaster rush and same thing ipod=great and the storm=choppy and terrible graphics. Why? Is java that bad? My original gameboy has better game quality than this.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 02:04 AM
    Give it time. Most of the games for Storm are ported versions of games from other Blackberry models with minimal support or optimization for its hardware.

It's kinda like that version of Sonic the Hedgehog for Palm some years back. It ran terribly, because it was an emulated game, rather than an optimized port.

If you want some good software NOW, why not check out some of the indie developers peddling their wares right here on the forum?
    06-08-09 02:59 AM
    Like what? I want some new apps too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 03:23 AM
    Unfortunately, graphics have never been a priority in RIM's eyes. Blackberries haven't ever been about the graphics. The storm is the only blackberry that even TRIES to have a decent looking OS. And it's still not quite there yet (if you think the storm games are lacking, check out the selection for any other blackberry)

People don't usually (read: ever) buy a blackberry for games. And there's a reason for that. Are there some good games for the storm? Yeah, definitely (bubble army, tiki towers, air traffic controller, field towers).

Will they EVER be as smooth as the iphone/ipod touch? No, probably not. RIM may decide to unlock hardware accelerated graphics in the future (word is the storm's processor is built for accelerated gfx), but as of now, it's not even on the radar in the rumor mill.

If games are your thing I suggest going for a PSP or DS since they make the ipod games look like a joke much like the ipod makes the storm games look as dated.
    06-08-09 03:30 AM
    See now that all makes perfect sense to me, I understand it.

What I don't understand is why they would add a processor capable of accelerated graphics to the device and then not allow it to reach its potential.
    Surely it can't do any harm to increase the available features? It would simply add an extra selling point.

Seems counter-intuitive to me.
    06-08-09 04:27 AM
    See now that all makes perfect sense to me, I understand it.

What I don't understand is why they would add a processor capable of accelerated graphics to the device and then not allow it to reach its potential.
    Surely it can't do any harm to increase the available features? It would simply add an extra selling point.

Seems counter-intuitive to me.
    Tell me about it, I'm still really hopin that they do something about it for the 5.0 os...but that's more like dreaming hehe
    06-08-09 04:31 AM
    If the Storm did use Graphic Acceleration it would probably eat more battery life, as it has to do more processing and rendering then before...just throwing it out there. I'd love to have the GA, but i doubt they will do it.
    06-08-09 04:48 AM
    If the Storm did use Graphic Acceleration it would probably eat more battery life, as it has to do more processing and rendering then before...just throwing it out there. I'd love to have the GA, but i doubt they will do it.
    Exactly, I think it would kill a battery fast. Once they get the OS smoothed out and better battery life across the board they will probably do something with it. 5.0 builds would be needed for sure though since they are no longer working on 4.7
    06-08-09 05:11 AM
    What you see is what you get, do not expect a magical update to fix anything. The Storm can not even answer a phone call without lagging and acting buggy, how is it ever going to play a video game? LOL
    06-08-09 10:53 AM
    Unfortunately, graphics have never been a priority in RIM's eyes. Blackberries haven't ever been about the graphics. The storm is the only blackberry that even TRIES to have a decent looking OS. And it's still not quite there yet (if you think the storm games are lacking, check out the selection for any other blackberry)

People don't usually (read: ever) buy a blackberry for games. And there's a reason for that. Are there some good games for the storm? Yeah, definitely (bubble army, tiki towers, air traffic controller, field towers).

Will they EVER be as smooth as the iphone/ipod touch? No, probably not. RIM may decide to unlock hardware accelerated graphics in the future (word is the storm's processor is built for accelerated gfx), but as of now, it's not even on the radar in the rumor mill.

If games are your thing I suggest going for a PSP or DS since they make the ipod games look like a joke much like the ipod makes the storm games look as dated.
    The bolded part is the truth! Until major developers start making games specifically for the Storm, I see the current games as good time wasters. Like in a boring meeting, waiting for the train, at the doctor's, etc..

If you really want gaming console quality games, then get the PSP-3000, PSP Go, or a DS. Sony's done a lot of cool things to tether the PSP and PS3 together, allowing you to unlock different things for the PSP game. And the 1.6 million color, 4.3" screen on the PSP is just...gorgeous...
    06-08-09 11:31 AM
    Very true. It's not like you'll ever find a game like Phantom Hourglass on a PDA. Especially when there are dedicated systems for such things. I expect you'll see a DS-phone before you see a true Blackberry or iPhone gaming console, mostly because all they have to do is duct tape the phone hardware to the darn thing.

Biggest thing I've ever seen on a PDA system is a Windows Mobile MMO that is cross-platform with PC. Better have a VGA screen and a huge SD card if you want it to run, though!
    Last edited by Polychrome; 06-08-09 at 06:24 PM.
    06-08-09 06:21 PM
    Very true. It's not like you'll ever find a game like Phantom Hourglass on a PDA. Especially when there are dedicated systems for such things. I expect you'll see a DS-phone before you see a true Blackberry or iPhone gaming console, mostly because all they have to do is duct tape the phone hardware to the darn thing.

Biggest thing I've ever seen on a PDA system is a Windows Mobile MMO that is cross-platform with PC. Better have a VGA screen and a huge SD card if you want it to run, though!
    It's rumored that the PSP Go will have the ability to tether to a cell phone via Bluetooth. Already part of the way there... I really wonder what's keeping Sony from tacking on the cell phone radios.
    06-08-09 07:26 PM
    Let me fix this thread title. "Blackberry Apps Suck!!!"
    06-08-09 09:53 PM
    It's rumored that the PSP Go will have the ability to tether to a cell phone via Bluetooth. Already part of the way there... I really wonder what's keeping Sony from tacking on the cell phone radios.
    Tethering is expensive however, as you have to pay for a full broadband data plan. Great for people who already have a tethering plan, not so great for others. May as well get the MiFi anyway, as it costs the same to have the extra line.

Last I heard out of the rumor-mill, these Japanese companies are trying to avoid anything that results in a monthly charge (apparently there's a lot of free Wi-Fi in Japan), and I guess nobody's gonna shell out the bandwidth for prepaid cellular data.
    06-09-09 12:36 AM
    Moving back to my original question then, why bother putting it in?
    Fair enough it'd be a drain on resources and therefore not worth having... So why is it there?!

Seems a bit of a waste to me :\
    06-09-09 09:51 AM
    Moving back to my original question then, why bother putting it in?
    Fair enough it'd be a drain on resources and therefore not worth having... So why is it there?!

Seems a bit of a waste to me :\
    One of the theories is that the graphics potential of the chip was just there. RIM selected the chip for its processing properties, but had to get the graphics side too, just because it was made that way. Graphics just wasn't a high concern for them.

Though it is a definite waste that it's just sitting there without the software to unlock it.
    06-09-09 10:10 AM
    One of the theories is that the graphics potential of the chip was just there. RIM selected the chip for its processing properties, but had to get the graphics side too, just because it was made that way. Graphics just wasn't a high concern for them.

Though it is a definite waste that it's just sitting there without the software to unlock it.
    I suppose this just brings us back to that now long-acknowledged source of dismay: The fact that RIM do a pretty p!ss-poor job of communicating things to their customers.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Storm to bits, it's never had any major issues and I've managed to fix any minor ones... But I think so much more could be gained and there wouldn't be so much animosity towards the company if they did a slightly better job of answering questions and giving reasons for known issues.
    Even acknowledging these issues in the first place would be a step in the right direction.
    There's so much fear going around at the moment that they're going to drop support for the Storm entirely once it's new little sister comes out. This could so easily be solved with a quick public statement.

Shame on you Rim. Boooooo.
    06-09-09 01:26 PM
    Give it time. Most of the games for Storm are ported versions of games from other Blackberry models with minimal support or optimization for its hardware.
    Give it time? Some people spent $400 on this phone...why should they have to wait?

What you see is what you get, do not expect a magical update to fix anything. The Storm can not even answer a phone call without lagging and acting buggy, how is it ever going to play a video game? LOL
    I agree. I don't believe this Storm will ever live up to our expectations.

Unfortunately, graphics have never been a priority in RIM's eyes. Blackberries haven't ever been about the graphics....If games are your thing I suggest going for a PSP or DS since they make the ipod games look like a joke much like the ipod makes the storm games look as dated.
    I bet you Sony can do a better job at making their PSP make phone calls, than RIM can do at making a nice interface.
    06-09-09 01:56 PM
    Give it time? Some people spent $400 on this phone...why should they have to wait?

I agree. I don't believe this Storm will ever live up to our expectations.

I bet you Sony can do a better job at making their PSP make phone calls, than RIM can do at making a nice interface.
    I have no problems with the storm interface. Sorry that you do, I would hate to be dissatisfied with the phone i use every day c'est la vie

Sony makes great phones. I loved my k790i, but i do love the storm much more. Better interface, better at making calls. It's not everyone's ideal, but it does everything i need it to and hasnt given me any grief
    Last edited by kinggeoff; 06-09-09 at 02:16 PM.
    06-09-09 02:14 PM
    I have no problems with the storm interface. Sorry that you do, I would hate to be dissatisfied with the phone i use every day
    If asked, I know you couldn't possibly sit there with a straight face and tell me your thoroughly enjoy the buggi/lagginess of the OS.
    06-09-09 02:21 PM
    I do have a ds and psp but they are huge to carry around to and I disagree with how you say the ds is better than the iPhone. The ds also has very poor graphics and I think iPhone games look way better than a ds game.

06-09-09 02:28 PM
    I do have a ds and psp but they are huge to carry around to and I disagree with how you say the ds is better than the iPhone. The ds also has very poor graphics and I think iPhone games look way better than a ds game.
    yayyy! graphics!!! sweet!

how about control interface? touch screen only means no tactile buttons. HUGE disadvantage for many many types of games. Yeah there are amazing games on the iphone/ipod that make great use of the touch and accel. but for a LOT of games, a physical control interface is just a necessity.

But hey if graphics make up the entirety of your gaming experience... have fun
    Last edited by kinggeoff; 06-09-09 at 02:40 PM.
    06-09-09 02:37 PM
    Sure wish I had time to play games on my phone.
    06-09-09 02:43 PM
    I don't crave apps too much nowadays, but I do with the OS as a whole was more fluid/less lagging. If there's any CPU or graphics acceleration to unlock safely at all, I think RIM should do it.
    06-09-09 02:43 PM
    If asked, I know you couldn't possibly sit there with a straight face and tell me your thoroughly enjoy the buggi/lagginess of the OS.
    When I had my Storm I didn't have any problems. Would you care to yell at me for a while?
    06-09-09 02:44 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD