I just installed Vlingo. I like it alot, but is there a way to make it prompt me, before it decides to read a personal email aloud to every one within ear shot? I can not find any thing in the settings, but I could be misinterpreting them?
    12-03-11 08:29 AM
    In the main menu there should be a button that says "text reader off".

That usualy works for me.
    12-03-11 08:59 AM
    Understand what the OP means - not switch it OFF - but a way to accept/deny the reading out loud of incoming messages every time... If having passengers in the car, not always a good thing to speak out private messages.

Vlingo should ask IF you want the message to be read loud - and let you answer with voice Yes - or No - or some other "codeword" you'd like... Hopefully we will see this in upcoming versions....

The same function should also be added to support the answering of incoming calls... A simple question from VLingo when incoming - and a Yes or No to answer the phone...
    rdonnelly likes this.
    12-03-11 01:18 PM
    Understand what the OP means - not switch it OFF - but a way to accept/deny the reading out loud of incoming messages every time... If having passengers in the car, not always a good thing to speak out private messages.

Vlingo should ask IF you want the message to be read loud - and let you answer with voice Yes - or No - or some other "codeword" you'd like... Hopefully we will see this in upcoming versions....

The same function should also be added to support the answering of incoming calls... A simple question from VLingo when incoming - and a Yes or No to answer the phone...
    You got it! I just want it in case I forget to turn it off when I am done driving. I guess I am not going to be able to use Vlingo any ways, as my 9930 with only one convenience button also has PTT. What was BB thinking putting one button on the phone? I could not find an app that can assign more buttons, I tried "ExtraKeys - Launch apps with volume and mute keys by ShaoSoft" and it is not able to send out a PTT from an assigned key.
    12-03-11 02:08 PM
    You got it! I just want it in case I forget to turn it off when I am done driving. I guess I am not going to be able to use Vlingo any ways, as my 9930 with only one convenience button also has PTT. What was BB thinking putting one button on the phone? I could not find an app that can assign more buttons, I tried "ExtraKeys - Launch apps with volume and mute keys by ShaoSoft" and it is not able to send out a PTT from an assigned key.
    I don't think you are missing much. I tried it, cute at first, but really did not care for it. If I had a virtual keyboard I would love it, but don't need it now.
    12-03-11 06:25 PM
    I don't think you are missing much. I tried it, cute at first, but really did not care for it. If I had a virtual keyboard I would love it, but don't need it now.
    IMHO, I think it is a great app, and I am waiting for some of these other convenience key apps to become available for the bold. Speaking text into apps sounds sweet to me, vs the little BB keyboard.
    12-03-11 07:17 PM
    IMHO, I think it is a great app, and I am waiting for some of these other convenience key apps to become available for the bold. Speaking text into apps sounds sweet to me, vs the little BB keyboard.
    Ok, meant no offense.
    12-03-11 07:29 PM
    I have this app called SixTools which allow you to use the volume control buttons to launch any app you like. The nice thing about the SixTools app is that it will stop these actions when you open your music player hence automatically it goes in to volume control mode.

I love this app because now I have 4 convenience keys. I have my main one for the camera, then the volume controls are set to Calender, Contacts and QuickLaunch.
    12-03-11 11:26 PM
    Exactly. In your case, you will not be able to utilize Vlingo, unless you disable your PTT feature on the convenience key. On BlackBerry devices, only the convenience keys are able to respond to long key presses, such as when taking the amount of time to speak a sentence or paragraph. No alternate key on the device can do this. Even a third party app cannot make your device do this currently. 6Tools and other such applications can be used to launch 3rd party applications with a single click from many other buttons, but in order to speak to your device for a sustained period of time, it must be done via the convenience key only.

It is a shame that RIM has taken away the extra functionality of having the 2nd convenience key present. Especially for those who have the PTT feature included in their devices from a carrier. The only way to actually use Vlingo (as opposed to just launching the application) would be to disable your PTT feature... Sorry about that.
    12-04-11 01:34 AM
    Ok, meant no offense.
    No problem Mike, I am not offended, every one likes what they like.

I have this app called SixTools which allow you to use the volume control buttons to launch any app you like. The nice thing about the SixTools app is that it will stop these actions when you open your music player hence automatically it goes in to volume control mode.

I love this app because now I have 4 convenience keys. I have my main one for the camera, then the volume controls are set to Calender, Contacts and QuickLaunch.
    I tried that, it is actually the same app as the stand alone "Extra Keys".

Exactly. In your case, you will not be able to utilize Vlingo, unless you disable your PTT feature on the convenience key. On BlackBerry devices, only the convenience keys are able to respond to long key presses, such as when taking the amount of time to speak a sentence or paragraph. No alternate key on the device can do this. Even a third party app cannot make your device do this currently. 6Tools and other such applications can be used to launch 3rd party applications with a single click from many other buttons, but in order to speak to your device for a sustained period of time, it must be done via the convenience key only.

It is a shame that RIM has taken away the extra functionality of having the 2nd convenience key present. Especially for those who have the PTT feature included in their devices from a carrier. The only way to actually use Vlingo (as opposed to just launching the application) would be to disable your PTT feature... Sorry about that.
    This app "Shortcut Keys For BlackBerry" will not work with the bold for now, and I assume like you said it will not be functional any ways? appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/54014?lang=en

Maybe I will contact Vlingo, and ask them if they could add a command to call up PTT, or add a feature that would allow it to work without the convenience key?
    12-04-11 05:05 AM
    This app "Shortcut Keys For BlackBerry" will not work with the bold for now, and I assume like you said it will not be functional any ways? appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/54014?lang=en
    Exactly, again. ExtraKeys, 6Tools, ShortCutMe, QuickLaunch, ShortcutKeys, and all the rest are great applications to utilize and are able to have quick access to launching any/all programs including Vlingo; however, none of those application launching programs can make any other button respond to the long key press required to actually use Vlingo (as far as speaking into the device).
    Maybe I will contact Vlingo, and ask them if they could add a command to call up PTT, or add a feature that would allow it to work without the convenience key?
    Maybe it can be done by adding PTT to Vlingo itself in order to to use the convenience key, but as far as using any other key, it is impossible right now as the convenience key is the only key that responds to sustained key presses. I asked about this over 2 years ago, and received that very same reply from them. If you want to see a more recent response, see the first 2 posts in this thread...
    In regards to using the convenience key to activate Vlingo, please be aware that you must hold down the convenience key in order to prompt Vlingo to listen. There is no other button, key, option, etc. on the phone that you can use to activate Vlingo. Furthermore, the convenience key must be set to "Do Nothing" or "Nothing". If your BlackBerry device hass two convenience keys, you can choose which one you would like to use with Vlingo by setting that convenience key (i.e. left or right) to "Do Nothing" or "Nothing". If your BlackBerry only has one convenience key, that side key will have to be set up to be used with Vlingo (i.e. "Do Nothing" or "Nothing").

With that said, you cannot have the side key that you want to use to activate Vlingo set to "Camera" when trying to use Vlingo. The only work around to this predicament is to change the convenience key to "Do Nothing" or "Nothing" when you want to use Vlingo and change it back to "Camera" when you are done using Vlingo. Obviously, this can be an inconvenience, but, unfortunately, there is no other work around.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or if there is anything else we can assist you with.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post6825290

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 12-04-11 at 07:17 AM.
    12-04-11 07:14 AM
    I found out using Vlingo with PTT on my Bold 9930 is not all that bad. I can set the convenience key to "do nothing" if I get an incoming PTT, I can reply with the same key. When the conversation is over and I push the button again later, it brings up Vlingo. So on "do nothing" it will alternate to PTT as needed. Only caveat is, I can not make the initial PTT call, which is just fine with me.
    12-07-11 04:11 PM
    Another easy way to get around the PTT, is to go to the PTT app and open, once a contact is selected the key goes to PTT and still works fine as Vlingo from the home screen with no setting adjustments.
    12-08-11 03:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD