I could not find answer to this by searching, so I apologize if it's already been covered.

On my Sprint Tour, Sprint Navigator and BB Maps work flawlessly. However no other location-based app can find my location. Each says their own variation of "GPS not available." That includes google maps, which can only give me like a mile-wide radius, and usually I'm even outside of that.

I am not running apps at the same time.

Is this just a limitation of Sprint?

Any help is muy appreciated!
    07-19-09 07:40 PM
    Have you given permissions to the Google Maps application?
    07-19-09 07:45 PM
    Have you given permissions to the Google Maps application?
    Yes, sorry I meant to mention that. I've put all permissions to "Always."
    07-19-09 07:47 PM
    Are you only running one app that requires gps at a time?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 07:57 PM
    Are you only running one app that requires gps at a time?

Si. I'm at a loss. The gps works on a couple apps so I don't want to return it, but then again it doesn't work on all of them. Don't know what to do. I called support but the only care if sprint navigator works. Which it does. Google maps and poynt people haven't emailed me back.
    07-19-09 08:34 PM
    Don't take your phone back.....it's a Google Maps issue with the Sprint version of the Tour. There have been other threads about this problem and I haven't read anywhere that a Sprint Tour user has got Gmaps to work. Gmaps used to work great on my 8330, but not so much on the 9630.
    07-19-09 09:05 PM
    Google maps works on my Sprint Tour.
    07-19-09 09:07 PM
    The program works, but the GPS tracking does not. When you select "my location" it shows an error of thousands of meters and then a "GPS temporarily unavailable" message appears.
    Last edited by Cowchip; 07-19-09 at 09:11 PM.
    07-19-09 09:09 PM
    Poynt is giving me the same error message
    07-19-09 09:10 PM
    The program works, but the GPS tracking does not. When you select "my location" it shows an error of thousands of meters and then a "GPS not responding" message appears.
    I just tried it and I got the thousands of meters message then a minute later it had me within a few hundred meters of where i'm at right now. And i'm in my basement.
    07-19-09 09:11 PM
    That doesn't make any sense. Yesterday I was on a lake and it couldn't pick up my location out in the wide open with no obstructions whatsoever.

When did you download Gmaps and/or what version are you running?
    07-19-09 09:21 PM
    I downloaded it on Friday. Version 3.0.2
    07-19-09 09:26 PM
    I just tried it and I got the thousands of meters message then a minute later it had me within a few hundred meters of where i'm at right now. And i'm in my basement.
    To my knowledge, a few hundred meters isn't GPS. GPS should be within 10 meters.

- VDubb
    07-19-09 09:33 PM
    I should have specified earlier, it DID find my location when I was on the lake, but the error was thousands of meters just like anywhere else I've tried Gmaps with this 9630. It's using triangulation and not the GPS function of the phone.

I'd buy that you're getting 100 meter error if in a basement. I just fired up my 8330 and it had 100 meters for a short time until it honed in and got down to 20 meters inside of my house.

I thought it may be Weatherbug which uses GPS so I removed that from the Tour but the result was the same. No other application that I can think of that is on my phone is using GPS. Ubertwitter does but I have that function disabled.
    Last edited by Cowchip; 07-19-09 at 10:06 PM.
    07-19-09 10:04 PM
    Hi Folks!

Thanks for your interest in Poynt.

We have identified the source of the GPS problem on the Tour and will release the fix in our next version.
    07-19-09 10:48 PM
    Hi Folks!

We have identified the source of the GPS problem on the Tour and will release the fix in our next version.
    Thank you for the response! Can't wait for the new release. Do you have a time frame for when it will be released?
    07-20-09 08:19 AM
    Hi Folks!

Nice. Glad to see someone making progress with all this. Any ideas on when it'll be fixed??
    07-20-09 06:51 PM
    I just spent an hour on a conference call with a Sprint BB tech rep as well as an IT person from RIM. The Sprint rep was terrific. He had not heard of the issue, but was happy to help troubleshoot. He downloaded Googlemaps on the Tour and recreated the error and recognized the problem. Then, upon my suggestion, he took out an 8830 and side-by-side compared googlemaps on the Tour and the 830 and instantly noticed the problem.

When we got RIM's IT rep on the phone he said he had not heard of it. He troubleshooted and ultimately "determined" that the problem was definitely not on RIM's end, but was on Googlemaps's end. He advised that I speak with the Google team and the developers of any other 3rd party software of which the GPS did not work with the Tour (I also told him about Beyond 411).

The sprint rep and I agreed that hopefully enough people will keep calling and complaining to Sprint so that Sprint leans on RIM and RIM eventually looks into it.

Update: if Mark from SPCS is reading this -thanks again. I appreciate all the help
    07-20-09 07:57 PM
    I suggest starting a thread here.

Google Mobile - Google Mobile Help

Can anyone else think of a place or way to notify Google?
    07-20-09 08:10 PM
    Nice. Glad to see someone making progress with all this. Any ideas on when it'll be fixed??
    Sounds like Google Maps when the MEID 8330 came out a year ago...and It's still not fixed. lol

Wait...is the Tour an ESN or MEID phone?
    07-20-09 08:43 PM
    Just so you know-im having the same issue. Yes, I've set the prefs correctly and allowed the correct permission. Still, for some reason GMaps cannot get a GPS fix, neither can Poynt. Sprint Nav and BB Maps work fine though. Some people are having this issue, while others aren't. I am subscribed to several threads about this, but noone has a resolution or any real input.

I wil also note, that in advanced settings, gps - there is no default E911 setting. My default settings were the correct settings to begin with. I know you're supposed to "change the default settings FROM E911 to GPS" but I don't even have this option on my sprint tour. The default was set to location on, gps on, and gps aiding on.

I'm thinking we will just have to wait for updates from these 3rd party programs...bummer!

Unrelated: looks like the battery cover(that's been a tad loose since day one) is starting to creak when I type just like my 8830WE did. I haven't really been beating this thing up either, and I don't press hard...but the battery door is starting to creak as I type...ughhhhhh!!! I wouldn't care but it sounds so cheap. This phone out of the box was surprisingly solid feeling...oh well. Ill manage
    I could not find answer to this by searching, so I apologize if it's already been covered.

On my Sprint Tour, Sprint Navigator and BB Maps work flawlessly. However no other location-based app can find my location. Each says their own variation of "GPS not available." That includes google maps, which can only give me like a mile-wide radius, and usually I'm even outside of that.

I am not running apps at the same time.

Is this just a limitation of Sprint?

Any help is muy appreciated!
    07-20-09 11:50 PM
    Ditto what mconk said.

I think the suggestion to change the E911 settings was for Verizon Tours as those owners seem to be the one offering that tip. Mine was set to the right option out of the box as well but Gmaps won't acquire GPS. BB Maps does though.

It's obviously a Google problem so instead of bothering with contacting Sprint, everyone needs to bomb Google with help requests until they fix it.
    07-21-09 07:33 AM
    I don't think that some phones work and some don't - I think that some people assume that the 100 - 1000 meter lock is as good as it gets, which it isn't.

I think it might be helpful to just start a thread here:

Maps - Google Mobile Help

07-21-09 07:50 AM
    I bet you're right - and the people swearing that they're getting gps locks may be on verizon. This seems to only be affecting sprint tours. I've started a thread at google, along with some other people. Google is usually pretty good about bb updates - I am sure we will see an update soon...

I don't think that some phones work and some don't - I think that some people assume that the 100 - 1000 meter lock is as good as it gets, which it isn't.

I think it might be helpful to just start a thread here:

Maps - Google Mobile Help

07-21-09 08:45 AM
    I am posting this on several forums (all on the same topic):

Could the problem with GPS not working with Google Maps lie with the following?

In Google Maps, I chose "Help" --> "About".
    I see Version: 3.0.2 (#3037) Web
    Platform: BlackBerry-9630_v4_6

Could THIS be the problem? BlackBerry Tours are running on v4.7.1.40 (and not 4.6).

NOTE: BB Maps GPS works fine. All GPS settings enabled. Using new Tour on Canada Telus network.
    07-21-09 10:31 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD