A buddy of mine is looking for some BB compatible software that will let him use his BB to determine the distance to the green using his GPS enabled BB 8703.

There is software availble for Windows Mobile devices, but is there anything available for BB's.

Thanks
    10-15-07 11:50 AM
    I havent seen this for BB yet. But I loved it when I had my WM phone.
    10-15-07 01:33 PM
    I am new to the crackberry site so I can't yet post a URL. So either send me a note or search for GolfTraxx on prnewswire. We have our latest BB build (8800 and curves are supported.)

We are looking for more beta testers and the product is free with a mapped course, until we fully launch. We have over 1K users and over 1K courses world-wide.

gb
    GolfTraxx
    02-18-08 08:59 PM
    Hi gbplay10s, thanks for the info. I installed the GolfTraxx application to my 8310 and it ALMOST worked... unfortunately I got an "uncaught exception" when I clicked "Get Courses for Zipcode" (I did do configuration per the QS guide). I couldn't find any FAQs or support on the site... can you offer any suggestions?
    03-05-08 07:15 PM
    Try mScorecard... works great on my 8300!
    03-05-08 10:16 PM
    Jestock - I tried to send a note earlier, but my thumbs got tired...

This is 99% a case where there isn't a course in that zip code. Getting a more user friendly error when this occurs is in the next one or two builds. Where abouts are you? I can send you a few courses to map to do some QC work.

gb

Hi gbplay10s, thanks for the info. I installed the GolfTraxx application to my 8310 and it ALMOST worked... unfortunately I got an "uncaught exception" when I clicked "Get Courses for Zipcode" (I did do configuration per the QS guide). I couldn't find any FAQs or support on the site... can you offer any suggestions?
    03-06-08 01:47 AM
    Spider - I'm not the type to knock another product and certainly not another golfer =)... but we are a different product. GolfTraxx on a BB is a competitor to SkyCaddie, in that we provide the distance to the Front, Back and Middle of the green, AS WELL AS the distance to reach and carry an unlimted number of targets for each hole.

Our WM, Treo, etc. versions do in fact have a scoring component, as well as a really cool "chose your club for you" (ie what a caddy does!) feature that is based on your club distances. BUT for now, that is down the road.

In our simple minds, what we want to provide is good GPS data that a golfer needs (eg. how far is that tree to reach or carry, how far is the other side of the pond, the fairway bunkers, etc.) What we want to stay clear of is having our users enter too much stuff. Since driving a cart, marking your card, AND tapping your BB is difficult under normal conditions. - add a beer and the probability of a BB drop gets too high.

Try mScorecard... works great on my 8300!
    03-06-08 01:58 AM
    Jestock - I tried to send a note earlier, but my thumbs got tired...

This is 99% a case where there isn't a course in that zip code. Getting a more user friendly error when this occurs is in the next one or two builds. Where abouts are you? I can send you a few courses to map to do some QC work.

gb
    Hi GB... I tryed the default that came up when I started... 92407 or something.. also tried my 92649.. both gave errors. Can you send me an example zip with courses... if it works I'll submit a few course via the process on the site
    03-07-08 04:48 PM
    Will all have courses

Are you in the east bay?

Hi GB... I tryed the default that came up when I started... 92407 or something.. also tried my 92649.. both gave errors. Can you send me an example zip with courses... if it works I'll submit a few course via the process on the site
    03-07-08 08:30 PM
    Ok saw where you are: )

Seacliff is partiallly complete. It has green info, but not additional landmarks. I'm out now but will send you the closest fully mapped one. Or you could add the course.

gb

03-07-08 08:43 PM
    No Soap.... here is the actual error message "Uncaught Exception: Application golftrax(317) is not responding; process terminated";
    I am using a Curve 8310 with your "J2ME Build for RIM Blackberry" version
    03-12-08 12:31 PM
    gbplay - do you have a list of public courses that are mapped in central NJ? If the courses I typically play are mapped, I will buy your product.
    03-13-08 01:45 PM
    Wildeklave -

At this point, we would prefer to give the app away with you doing a few maps of your favorite courses. (wow, did I just turn away money?) OK, let me re-phrase that.

If you don't want to/have the time to map courses, then of course we would be happy to have you purchase a license. Drop me a note to [email protected] with your zip code or a list of a few courses that you are specifically interested in. I will respond within a business day.

gbplay - do you have a list of public courses that are mapped in central NJ? If the courses I typically play are mapped, I will buy your product.
    03-14-08 01:36 AM
    Having the same issue as jestock - does this have something to do with the WAP Options in the menu? Not sure what that means. I have an ATT Wireless 8310 Curve.
    03-14-08 12:49 PM
    There is a product called intelligolf, it does cost I think $60 dollars or something. Works pretty good, giving GPS, scorecard & can track money games. If a course isn't mapped, pretty easy to map with google earth or survey on the course. I am from east bay & have several courses mapped pretty good.
    03-14-08 01:14 PM
    Sorry for the late reply - not your isssue... On Friday the ATT network was REALLY slow and this caused errors on the device side. I was doing demos and ran into the same thing

Having the same issue as jestock - does this have something to do with the WAP Options in the menu? Not sure what that means. I have an ATT Wireless 8310 Curve.
    03-16-08 02:03 AM
    I am familiar with it... our other ports to WM, Palm OS, etc. are similar to that, except we focus on the golfer - tracking their club lengths, their games, etc.

Mapping a course is "easy" on course except when trying to load up good descriptions of each target. As far as I now, we are the only ones offering both a reach and carry for targets/hazards. Just knowing a bunker is 130 yards awy isn't enough. I want to know the lay up as well as the carry.

Where do you play in the E. Bay?

There is a product called intelligolf, it does cost I think $60 dollars or something. Works pretty good, giving GPS, scorecard & can track money games. If a course isn't mapped, pretty easy to map with google earth or survey on the course. I am from east bay & have several courses mapped pretty good.
    03-16-08 02:07 AM
    Sunday morning and trying it out again - still same error.
    03-16-08 09:29 AM
    Where do you play in the E. Bay?
    Mostly out in Brentwood (94513) at Deer Ridge CC, Shadowlakes or Roddy Ranch. Any of those courses mapped with your product? Also play other courses like Diablo CC, Poppy Ridge & Wente from time to time. Might just have to give product a try, if anything would be good to compare & contrast. Will it work with 8830 with Verizon, using a bluetooth puck? If so, I would give it a try & map a course or two.
    03-17-08 10:33 AM
    Cary - We have Deer, Shadow and Bethel Island basic mapped. Roddy isn't yet. I personally did Deer, Shadow & Poppy Ridge. Nice to be able to get on to Diablo (must know somebody!) and Wente is getting ready for the Nationwide stop - I now the course is set up US Open Style. I hope it's going to eat them up alive again!

If you could do the extened for these and/or do Roddy that would be a great chance to see how to map and how to use the application. Please sign-on as a user by going to Home and download the how to files on mapping a course.

Feel free to contact me as well.

Mostly out in Brentwood (94513) at Deer Ridge CC, Shadowlakes or Roddy Ranch. Any of those courses mapped with your product? Also play other courses like Diablo CC, Poppy Ridge & Wente from time to time. Might just have to give product a try, if anything would be good to compare & contrast. Will it work with 8830 with Verizon, using a bluetooth puck? If so, I would give it a try & map a course or two.
    03-20-08 01:53 AM
    Hi GB,

I live in Canada and have the program installed on my 8830. Is there support for Canada right now? There is only a zip code option with no postal code option. Is this coming in the future. I like in Toronto, so if you know of any courses mapped already, let me know.

Thanks.
    04-05-08 10:07 AM
    Hi loawfou,

Yes you should be able to use postal codes for the 88xx. (This function is not yet working on the Curve.)

To find courses in Canada that are mapped use:
    PDA ZIP: Get from Here to There in A ZIP at pdazip.com. If your favorite(s) are not there. Map them and send them back. We can have them back to you within 48 hours if done correctly.

If you don't have the how-to mapping docs they are at: http://pdazip.com/MappingCourses.pdf
    http://pdazip.com/MappingExtras.pdf

It should take you just about an hour if you know your course really well.

Feel free to contact me directly for any mapping issues.

Hi GB,

I live in Canada and have the program installed on my 8830. Is there support for Canada right now? There is only a zip code option with no postal code option. Is this coming in the future. I like in Toronto, so if you know of any courses mapped already, let me know.

Thanks.
    04-05-08 10:45 AM
    GolfTraxx for Blackberry does work. I did a course for them and have it installed on my 8820, even though I don't golf. It was just kind of fun to do a local course.

I too would get the uncaught exception error until they had added the course to the zip code I was trying. If you try the default zip code, you'll get courses.

Also, it might be that you are using an older version. Somehow I found a version before they sent me the link after I completed a course for them. I didn't get that version to work.

And, for the record, it does show distance to front, middle, and back as well as distances to reach and carry obstacles.

If you golf, doing your own course will be great for you, because you can decide what obstacles to include.

Patrick
    04-05-08 01:44 PM
    Hi Patrick.

Thanks for the feedback - we have a staff meeting this afternoon and I sent your note to everyone. So, you don't golf? Might I suggest a try? That way you can pick up another addiction (BB & Golf!).

gb

Golf is an amazing game in that the better you get, the more you learn just how much better you can be at it.

GolfTraxx for Blackberry does work. I did a course for them and have it installed on my 8820, even though I don't golf. It was just kind of fun to do a local course.

I too would get the uncaught exception error until they had added the course to the zip code I was trying. If you try the default zip code, you'll get courses.

Also, it might be that you are using an older version. Somehow I found a version before they sent me the link after I completed a course for them. I didn't get that version to work.

And, for the record, it does show distance to front, middle, and back as well as distances to reach and carry obstacles.

If you golf, doing your own course will be great for you, because you can decide what obstacles to include.

Patrick
    04-05-08 03:31 PM
    Hi Patrick.

Thanks for the feedback - we have a staff meeting this afternoon and I sent your note to everyone. So, you don't golf? Might I suggest a try? That way you can pick up another addiction (BB & Golf!).
    gb,

Well, if I wind up selling any of this Blackberry software I'm developing, then maybe I'll be able to afford another hobby and the Country Club dues, haha.

Patrick
    04-06-08 03:45 PM
54 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD