So I bought a 8900 curve from my brother .. works fine etc etc

Only thing being the pin is registered but that's for my brother to sort/release at some point and I only use GMail so not really a problem for now.

Now .. can any of you CB vets/regulars suggest some good FREE apps so I can get the most out of the phone..

Im a Avid gamer (Xbox 360 pref) and a bit of a News hound and like to check up on the latest developments on the go but not so much for "mobile" gaming ...

Thanks ..
    07-29-10 12:14 PM
    I have an 8900. Get Blackberry App World, it's awesome. Here are some of my essential apps.
    • Google Maps
    • Facebook
    • Associated Press
    • Amazon.com
    • Google Mobile
    • Traffic.com
    • Call Blocker
    • Carfinder
    • ScanLife
    07-29-10 01:32 PM
    i use Poynt a lot!

Google Latitude
    Latitude is a feature of Google Maps that lets you see your friends' locations and share yours with your friends. Select Latitude from the Google Maps menu or install the newest Maps version to get Latitude

MaraTick is a great free list app!

MaraTick OTA Download

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-10 01:34 PM
    A Must for any CB junkie as well, the CrackBerry Launcher.

http://m.crackberry.com/getlauncher
    07-29-10 01:38 PM
    Thank you .. now have most of the apps that have been posted and find the Crackberry Launcher very useful

Appreciated
    07-29-10 03:27 PM
    I don't consider myself a vet, but...
    Quicklaunch -not free
    Opera Mini and Bolt Browser
    Leave It On (I prefer this app to berry popup) - seriously, this is probably the most useful app you can get. Period. Not free.
    Crunchsms or threadedsms (I prefer crunchsms) if you sms a lot or like your sms's to look good
    AP Mobile for news
    I prefer BerryReader over Viigo for RSS, but I won berryreader - it's $10 and viigo is free, so... depends if you want (what I consider) the better app or the free one.
    I use RIM's Twitter and (admittedly somewhat sucky) Facebook apps
    Pandora for music, Nobex or Flycast or I <3 radio for AM radio
    Dictionary.com
    Mobipocket for ebooks
    Google Maps
    IM+lite if you want Facebook chat (I personally use nimbuzz because it has unlimited skype im)
    BBM (you probably already have that)
    If you play guitar, check out guitar studio by lca mobile. Not free.
    Multi Click Icons is a nifty little app for keeping your home screen clean. Not free.
    Finally, a weather app. I personally like bbweather a lot, but most people here on CrackBerry swear by berryweather (bbweather is free, berryweather is $10; that being said, if you have OS 5, berryweather is admittedly better. Once again, it comes down to quality vs price)
    I copied all this from my post in this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/vit...newbie-497069/ which also has some other good suggestions.
    07-29-10 08:48 PM
    I'm definitely not a "Crackberry Vet" either but I've passed a lot of time lately using ScannerRadio in conjunction with Google Maps.

For a small town guy like me, it's somewhat fascinating to listen to LAPD or NYPD police scanners while simultaneously searching the addresses on Google Maps (street view) to add an element of reality. Obviously, it doesn't provide live satellite images, but it allows you to see the actual area where it's all going down.
    07-29-10 09:27 PM
    My recommendations are

BeWeather (free version)
    YouVersion Bible (if that's your sort of thing)
    SmrtGuard (free version)
    Score Mobile (best sports app ever)
    BBNotepad (indispensable app - saves memos to memory card, opens .txt files, etc)
    BBtran (language translation app)
    CaptureIt (screen captures)
    Newspapers (news from around the world)
    07-29-10 11:58 PM
    Not yet mentioned:

FileScoutLite (File Explorer/Text Editor)
    FreeRange (RSS Reader [10 Channels])
    KeePassBB (AES/Twofish Password Manager)
    SocialScope (Social Network Meta Application)
    Last edited by adamlau; 07-30-10 at 12:47 AM.
    07-30-10 12:44 AM
    Poynt, Flixster Movies, Capture it, Reuters, ScoreMobile, NYDailyNews, and WeatherEye are the apps I use all the time!
    07-30-10 08:59 AM
    Berry Buzz
    Quick Launch
    Pinball Deluxe
    07-30-10 09:39 AM
    As for weather I like NWS client. Its free and can be downloaded from render fast. Docs to Go prem. Google maps. Google search since VZW screw up my search putting bing as my search (errrr). Yahoo msgr. AP news. Scoremobile. Facebook. Twitter. Bbm. Skype.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-31-10 07:09 PM
    No vet, but a regular I guess you could say.
    Opera Mobile Browser is THE must have app in my opinion. Without Opera I probably would have dumped the berry ages ago as I can not stand the native browser. Lookout Mobile Security and BerryWeather are also very helpful apps.
    07-31-10 08:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD