I am considering getting one of these apps to both protect my BB and to help find it when my wife loses hers..lol.

I have 3 main questions:
    Which one do most users prefer and do either or both of these use data for their tracking and synch features. I looked around on their sites but can't seem to find the answer to the data question.
    And finally, I like the keyboard lock feature and the audio ping and alarm tone features but while the audio ping feature says it works while the device is muted, what about the alarm on Roblock. Will it still sound if the device is on vibrate mode?
    09-15-09 08:29 PM
    I use smrtguard and love it. Yes it uses data to backup but you don't have to use the that feature.

It uses data when you send a request to audio ping, lock, locate, wipe etc but that would be very little data.

In a month you probably wouldn't exceed 2 mb even with daily backups and much less without backups.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-09 08:48 PM
    I use smrtguard and love it. Yes it uses data to backup but you don't have to use the that feature.

It uses data when you send a request to audio ping, lock, locate, wipe etc but that would be very little data.

In a month you probably wouldn't exceed 2 mb even with daily backups and much less without backups.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Okay...that's what I figured. I was a little confused because it says you can use SMS for functions but I also found that it says you need email to send the commands, so I guess I am now leaning towards Roblock, since I don't have email on it.

I would still like to know how Roblock handles tracking, if it's data dependant because it says you can still track it even where service is not available. Anyone with input would be appreciated.
    09-15-09 10:53 PM
    I have done the free trial of SmrtGuard and I have to say that it's a good app. But it is expensive. (3.99 per month or 3.74 per month if you prepay for a year) I have not tried Roblock, but if you read the reviews, it seems like it's not so great, and it's $9.99.

I have been holding this under wraps, but since we are about to release it, I can let the cat out of the bag.

We are releasing an app called e-GPS. For 4.99 you will be able to:
    1 - send an sms/email to your phone and it will email you (to an email that you specify during setup) the GPS location of your phone.
    2 - send an sms/email to your phone and it will email you your address book with all your contact information.
    3 - send an sms/email to your phone and it will wipe your phone memory as well as your memory card.

All these features will be protected by a pin that you set up and go directly to your email as supposed to being stored on some third party servers.The application will auto-run on start up and run in the background. So if you loose your phone, you will be able to find it, or at least back up your contacts, and wipe it for security purposes if you can't retrieve it. And you get all that at a reasonable price of only a one time charge of 4.99. We will kick off the launch by giving away some free copies thru Crackberry. So if you can wait a little, it will be worth your time.
    09-15-09 10:56 PM
    I have done the free trial of SmrtGuard and I have to say that it's a good app. But it is expensive. (3.99 per month or 3.74 per month if you prepay for a year) I have not tried Roblock, but if you read the reviews, it seems like it's not so great, and it's $9.99.

I have been holding this under wraps, but since we are about to release it, I can let the cat out of the bag.

We are releasing an app called e-GPS. For 4.99 you will be able to:
    1 - send an sms/email to your phone and it will email you (to an email that you specify during setup) the GPS location of your phone.
    2 - send an sms/email to your phone and it will email you your address book with all your contact information.
    3 - send an sms/email to your phone and it will wipe your phone memory as well as your memory card.

All these features will be protected by a pin that you set up and go directly to your email as supposed to being stored on some third party servers.The application will auto-run on start up and run in the background. So if you loose your phone, you will be able to find it, or at least back up your contacts, and wipe it for security purposes if you can't retrieve it. And you get all that at a reasonable price of only a one time charge of 4.99. We will kick off the launch by giving away some free copies thru Crackberry. So if you can wait a little, it will be worth your time.
    Wow...I didn't notice that SmrtGuard was a service based app. I won't pay monthly for something I can get for a one time fee. So I guess it's looking more like Roblock depending on the data question. Your's sounds like a potential as well, but what I really like is the alarm or ping feature because if we can't find our BB in the house an audible tone works like a handset retrival ringer.

But that free giveaway looks promising..lol
    09-15-09 11:25 PM
    thanks!

i have added mine too
    09-16-09 04:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD