Which should I go for and why?

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-10 05:02 PM
    Since they both have free options, try them out and see which you like better.
    08-08-10 06:12 PM
    I've heard more good about Smrtguard. Like other poster said... both are free so give them both a try.
    08-08-10 06:20 PM
    I've had SmrtGuard for the past several months. The feature I wanted most is remote wipe. The feature I actually use most is call blocking, to hangup on the phonebot that keeps harassing me. SG also has remote locking, tracking, ping, and wipe. Remote wipe used to be free but they moved it into the premium ($) package that includes backup/restore, virus scanning, and spam blocking. Oh there's also SIM guardian which sends you an email if somebody puts a different SIM in your phone, and personal guardian which will send out a distress email/sms/call/tweet when you hold a convenience key. It doesn't drain my battery at all, contrary to some complaints I've heard.

If I were choosing today I'd pick Lookout instead because locking, tracking, ping, wipe, backup/restore, and virus scanning are all free.
    08-10-10 12:36 AM
    I have both on my BB. Did you pick one yet? I've had Smartguard and I'm happy with it. I'll update about Lookout after I use it for a day or two.

08-10-10 11:24 AM
    Still not picked one yet.

Probably going to go for lookout. How does this affect battery life / general use of BB?

Thanks

08-11-10 04:06 PM
    I have both installed and I have both running scheduled back ups / scans. I have not noticed any difference in my battery life. I would recommend Smartguard only because it backs up calendar, contacts, memo, task, email, sms, and call logs. You can also call/email block as well. Lookout only backs up your contacts and scans. Both apps both feature an audio ping (make your BB beep/ring, remote wipe, locate device all from your computer.

I know it is overkill but I run both flawlessly. Maybe install and run both then delete the one you don't want. I have my settings schedule an hour apart so there wouldn't be a conflict between the two apps.

Check out their websites for further review.

smartguard.com
    mylookout.com
    08-11-10 05:32 PM
    I use Lookout and I'm very happy with the features. Most important to me is the backup which, as far I know, is not free with SmrtGuard. Also the "Find my Device" is pretty need. You hit a button on the Lookout website and your phone will start making a very loud sound. You also can locate your phone via GPS and of course "Nuke" it.
    08-11-10 05:40 PM
    I use Lookout and I'm very happy with the features. Most important to me is the backup which, as far I know, is not free with SmrtGuard. Also the "Find my Device" is pretty need. You hit a button on the Lookout website and your phone will start making a very loud sound. You also can locate your phone via GPS and of course "Nuke" it.
    Bummer... I didn't read the fine print. I didn't realize Smrtguard only has the scan/back up for a 30 day trial.

So I'd go with Lookout. I know I'm not about to sign up for a subscription to Smrtguard.
    08-11-10 05:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD