I'm glad you included the phrase "in my experience" at the end of your post. While I fully realize that not every app works the same for every person, unfortunately, many make posts that tend to globalize or stereotype the situation.
    There's been enough people including myself that had battery issues with SM ans it's safe to say it's a fact that SM is a battery drainer. Where there is smoke there is fire. Even before reading this thread I have come to that conclusion based on the facts and NOT on opinion.
    02-11-10 10:46 AM
    I have installed SG and I have noticed significant battery drain. I bought a new battery because I thought it was my battery. It seems not to be the issue because the new battery drains faster than the older one. With the new battery, once I unplug my phone and before I start to do anything, I go from 100% to about 90% in less than 15 minutes. I am uninstalling it to see if my battery performance improves. I have the free version of SG. I am not sure if that makes a difference or not.
    02-15-10 08:46 AM
    Maybe you have smartguard following your phone all day. there are certain cool things that smrtguard can do. To have those turned on all day can probably drain your battery. Just shut those thinjgs off unjtil comes the day you might need them like maybe leaving your phone somewhere and locating it. Also smrtguard backs your contacts up. I backed everything up and just turned everything off. Put it in park until you need it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-10 09:03 AM
    Maybe you have smartguard following your phone all day. there are certain cool things that smrtguard can do. To have those turned on all day can probably drain your battery. Just shut those things off until comes the day you might need them like maybe leaving your phone somewhere and locating it. Also smrtguard backs your contacts up. I backed everything up and just turned everything off. Put it in park until you need it.

Thanks for the response. I do not have follow me on, nor do I have automatic backup turned on.
    02-15-10 10:00 AM
    I imagine the people having battery drain from smrtguard is because they have the gps tracking option on all the time. The moment i turned off the gps tracking options, my batt problem stopped.
    02-15-10 05:02 PM
    I use smrtguard and finish the day with 55%

02-15-10 05:12 PM
    Same issue during initial install and use. After disabling follow me and GPS, battery life went back to normal.
    02-15-10 05:14 PM
    Apparently I'm blind - have follow me disabled, but how are you guys turning off GPS within smrtguard?

02-16-10 04:05 PM
    ^Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is that follow me is off and from Smrtguard's website, I also clicked on "stop tracking" etc. Basically ensuring that this app is not using the GPS at all!
    02-16-10 05:41 PM
    its running just fine on mine. I notice no battery drain at all.
    I'm gonna have to agree... I love that app!!! Maybe you should turn off follow me (If you have it on)
    02-16-10 06:49 PM
    OK - made sure follow me is turned off on device and on website. Couldn't find a "disable GPS" option on website, but will monitor battery over the next couple days.

02-17-10 08:40 AM
    Removed SmrtGuard and battery life is back to normal. I never had tracking on. I will note that I do not have or use a [email protected]/.net email address. I am wondering if that is the problem. It says in order to use tracking you have to have a blackberry email address. So since, I do not have one, I am wondering if it is a bug that is trying to still use it even though on the device and the phone it says it cannot be activated without a blackberry.com/.net email address?
    02-17-10 11:23 AM
    Just spoke with Support (Thanks Andrew). I re-added the application and this time I did NOT receive the message stating that I needed a native blackberry account address to use FollowMe. It also gave me the option to follow me by foot or by car. I was able to disable the follow me once I selected follow me on foot. I will let update with battery drain results in a bit. Deleting the application and reinstalling seems to have resolved the native blackberry email address issue.
    02-17-10 11:38 AM
    I don't have any battery issues after installing SG... at the end of the day I usually have 50-60% left on my 9000.
    02-17-10 12:20 PM
    Just a quick update on my end - made sure tracking was off both on website and device. Battery drain is back to normal. Thanks for the input folks.

02-17-10 10:00 PM
    Update:

After I re-added SmrtGuard these are the steps that I did:

1. clicked FollowMe
    2. clicked on foot
    3. clicked stop FollowMe

My battery life drain was back to normal. At 10:30 am when I did this, my battery life was at 77%. At 2:33 pm when I checked my battery, it was down to 65%. So it appears the issue was that could not activate the FollowMe and disable it. The new installation, allowed me to activate and thus de-activate FollowMe from my device. All in all battery life is decent again even with SmrtGuard still installed.
    02-18-10 11:16 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD