So I spent the $3.99 to see if Smrt Guard was worth my wild. I downloaded it to my phone, logged in online and was very impressed............ Until I realized that you had to actually have the app running all day/ night in order for it to truly be effective i.e. track your phone, pin your phone, lock your phone etc.

One feature that is creepy is the remote listening. I know it could be done with or without the app but it just feels weird. Like your opening the door for something lol.

Anyway just curious if anyone else had made the purchase. As for me I deleted it within 10 minutes of buying it. Just wasn't for me.
    05-29-09 12:42 AM
    Wait...Worth your wild?

How else would such a security application work? That would be like wanting to be able to check your e-mail using Outlook and expect to not have to have Outlook running to perform that task. You can't have something provide a service to your device remotely without some form of software running in the background.

I think it is a great piece of software. The possibilities of SmrtGuard are amazing.

I just wish I could actually make it self-destruct...

"What's that? You won't return my Bold to me? Ok, suit your self..."

BOOM!

Chris
    05-29-09 02:25 AM
    Actually the most attracting feature of the app for me is to wipe out the memory and data in case of a theft or lost. I took a look at price list to buy it but I changed my mind when I see that there is a monthly price. I may consider to buy it when it comes up with a one time payment with at most 30$

So I will keep on using the bold password built within the phone until that time
    05-29-09 03:07 AM
    Actually the most attracting feature of the app for me is to wipe out the memory and data in case of a theft or lost. I took a look at price list to buy it but I changed my mind when I see that there is a monthly price. I may consider to buy it when it comes up with a one time payment with at most 30$

So I will keep on using the bold password built within the phone until that time
    It's a service. Services typically require a subscription. Pay the $44 once a year and be done with it.

Chris
    05-29-09 03:12 AM
    What's worse? The price of a new device or the $44 to give you just that much more security in case your device is lost.

Hands down great app. I was with em from the start during their beta and I'll stick with the service. I have it on all my BB devices.
    05-29-09 03:46 AM
    What's worse? The price of a new device or the $44 to give you just that much more security in case your device is lost.

Hands down great app. I was with em from the start during their beta and I'll stick with the service. I have it on all my BB devices.
    And you don't hafta pay a dime cuz you do some promotional article on their services as part of the deal? lmao

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 06:20 AM
    That isn't the correct question. Try this: What's worse? Telling all of your friends that you lost your phone that not only includes their phone number but also their address and their birthday (that is a nice start on information for identity theft) or the $44 a year you give someone in the event that your phone gets lost.

Smartphones are great but we are now putting a lot of valuable information in our pocket that can be easily lost/stolen.
    05-29-09 09:09 AM
    I don't generally have all of my friends personal information on my blackberry haha...

05-29-09 10:16 AM
    I really like the app and am going to buy it. I just used it to today to switch my device without my laptop. It worked flawlessly.

Its also somewhat cheaper than buying insurance through your carrier which is 5 bucks a month so 60 a year compared to 45.

05-29-09 10:23 AM
    You can also look at RobLock. One time purchase fee of $9.95!
    05-29-09 11:39 AM

I was with them from the beta and paid the $44 for the year as well. Excellent investment in my data. This isn't just some phone with numbers in it...this is my personal life, my business AND some other stuff I won't mention all wrapped into one device with an incredible amount of private data on it...lol! Not only am I keeping that data out of the hands of criminals, when I get my replacement from Verizon (if I can't locate it via gps), it'll be easy as pie migrating my info over! SCORE!!

My question is this: do any of you experience memory leakage from the app?
    08-12-09 12:27 AM
    No memory leak for me. I was skeptical at first because it constantly runs in the background but I have not noticed any significant changes in my memory.

08-12-09 12:33 AM
    had it . got rid of it. Great concept. Security I think is sufficient via by Device Password. Data Backup works pretty well but not worth the overhead when DM performs adequately, not all data fields are backed up. Requires blackberry.net account as I recall, nah. Tried it as an alternative to BES, not even comparable. there definately needs to be an affordable alternative to BES but this option is not reliable nor complete enough for me. I also like a backup of my backup. Heres my math:
    $ 44.00 / year for a partial Backup with perhaps a nuke ability.
    $ 180.00 / year for BES service (wireless service) with full night sleep.
    If you're on BIS the Mail Client is your primary source & backup.
    If you're on BES then all the rest is a far distant second.
    08-12-09 12:55 AM
    had it . got rid of it. Great concept. Security I think is sufficient via by Device Password. Data Backup works pretty well but not worth the overhead when DM performs adequately, not all data fields are backed up. Requires blackberry.net account as I recall, nah. Tried it as an alternative to BES, not even comparable. there definately needs to be an affordable alternative to BES but this option is not reliable nor complete enough for me. I also like a backup of my backup. Heres my math:
    $ 44.00 / year for a partial Backup with perhaps a nuke ability.
    $ 180.00 / year for BES service (wireless service) with full night sleep.
    If you're on BIS the Mail Client is your primary source & backup.
    If you're on BES then all the rest is a far distant second.
    I agree with you 100%. Got rid of it. Password keeper is sufficient enough. And it running in the back is definitely leaking memory. Epic fail
    08-12-09 01:03 AM
    I just got this app. At $3.99/month, it's well worth me not having to remember to backup my device every week (as SmrtGuard will do it for me once a day while I'm sleeping!). Totally worth the money in my opinion. The self-destruct/tracking feature is pretty neat as well. I've never lost a BB, as it hardly leaves my eyesight for more than a second. But still, peace of mind counts for a bunch!
    08-13-09 11:16 AM
    Tried it but got rid of it, too expensive for what it does and only truly locks it if you've got it pin locked already, otherwise it just does a screen lock with 2 button unlock, which is a bit pointless!!
    Roblock the better option for me, it does lock it (even gives it a siren noise )
    Also has remote wipe and call back.
    08-13-09 11:44 AM
    What is this smart guard app?
    08-13-09 12:02 PM
    can someone also tell me how do i subscribe to a thread?
    08-13-09 12:03 PM
    I am placing my bet on having my device password protected - set it to 5 tries and it's wiped. I have to have it passworded anyway as a requirement since I sync with Outlook Calender and have emails through an Exchange Server (not BES) at work. I hope that actually works though. Maybe one day I will try it and see if it actually wipes - anyone have experience with this?
    08-13-09 02:09 PM
    Roblock has horrible customer service. I was a fan of their service until I needed to transfer app to a new device, then I couldn't get a return call, email..nothing as my activation code wasn't working. I tried repeatedly to make contact before I finally gave up and invested in Smrtguard.
    08-13-09 03:54 PM
    Roblock has horrible customer service. I was a fan of their service until I needed to transfer app to a new device, then I couldn't get a return call, email..nothing as my activation code wasn't working. I tried repeatedly to make contact before I finally gave up and invested in Smrtguard.
    Would have been cheaper to get a new Roblock for the new device!
    08-13-09 04:01 PM
    Where is all your phone information being backed up? To a remote location? Does some other party have access to this information?

I looked at the product description and understand the features but how do they work?
    08-13-09 07:27 PM
    I used the app when it was in beta stage. It worked great. Now I am paying 3.99 a month for added security to my phone. I think its a good investment. Just my opion thats all.
    08-13-09 10:07 PM
    The security is great! You can protect your files but not the phone itself .

08-14-09 01:19 AM
    I love this app. Remote listen works great, just don't use the firefox browser. Love the tracking, works great and cheap! Have not had any problems with it. - have not vested interest in the company. Just a consumer.

08-14-09 10:10 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD