SmartWifi is an incredible app. Saves me a ton of work and improves my battery life. But anyone know if the same function can be/has been applied to Bluetooth?

On another note, why isn't SMS and MMS a selectable icon in the task switcher? Everything else is.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    07-18-10 09:42 PM
    I'm really looking forward to this answer. My bluetooth is acting up & I'd love a way to simplify the process .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-10 01:12 AM
    TBH, I am not sure if a SmartBT makes as much sense as a SmartWiFi. SmartWiFi turns on your wifi based on your location using cell tower triangulation to determine if you are in range of your wifi network (or free wifi access point). Works great, I agree -- I have the app too.

Now for Bluetooth... how would this work? Is it for a BT headset, for the car, for file syncing...? Are you always going to be in the same place (based on cell tower triangulation) when you are using bluetooth?

That said, if your bluetooth usage will be more time-based, such as when driving to work, driving home from work, there is one app I know of that can handle this. It works great, however, there is one caveat, it cannot turn on/off your BT while the device is locked or holstered (for the version I tested). HOWEVER, newer versions may overcome this, depending on your device and OS. You may have to visit the site and read up on what is supported. There is a 7-day trial version with no limitations, other than the 7 days.

Look for "SuperPower 1.2" at the bottom of this page linked:

Toysoft, Inc.
    07-19-10 10:53 AM
    TBH, I am not sure if a SmartBT makes as much sense as a SmartWiFi. SmartWiFi turns on your wifi based on your location using cell tower triangulation to determine if you are in range of your wifi network (or free wifi access point). Works great, I agree -- I have the app too.

Now for Bluetooth... how would this work? Is it for a BT headset, for the car, for file syncing...? Are you always going to be in the same place (based on cell tower triangulation) when you are using bluetooth?

That said, if your bluetooth usage will be more time-based, such as when driving to work, driving home from work, there is one app I know of that can handle this. It works great, however, there is one caveat, it cannot turn on/off your BT while the device is locked or holstered (for the version I tested). HOWEVER, newer versions may overcome this, depending on your device and OS. You may have to visit the site and read up on what is supported. There is a 7-day trial version with no limitations, other than the 7 days.

Look for "SuperPower 1.2" at the bottom of this page linked:

Toysoft, Inc.
    Basically, I was hoping there was a way for the phone to detect a Bluetooth device nearby that it has been paired to. It would then turn on the Bluetooth and auto-pair. When you leave the range, the Bluetooth shuts off automatically. Not sure if this is possible.

Superpower doesn't seem very useful because it's unlikely that you'll be using WiFi or Bluetooth at a specific time. These technologies only work when you're at a certain place, so the app should should be spatially aware, not temporally aware.

But thanks for chiming in. Btw, a great temporally-aware app is RingScheduler, although I'm really envious of that "Places" app for Android.
    07-19-10 03:45 PM
    I would like it because I used to use a bluetooth lock but its such a pain I just started using a password on my compy again

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-10 01:02 AM
    I too looking for similar solution, as i use by car bluetooth.
    So when going to my work car park, based on location it automaticaly should turn on the bluetooth, and when in office should turn off.

Regarding the home, can say as it will be in the same antenna location, so have to use a schedule based as well.

Still looking for such app, but there is a need i guess.
    10-05-10 02:01 AM
    I too looking for similar solution, as i use by car bluetooth.
    So when going to my work car park, based on location it automaticaly should turn on the bluetooth, and when in office should turn off.

Regarding the home, can say as it will be in the same antenna location, so have to use a schedule based as well.

Still looking for such app, but there is a need i guess.
    We have an app called superPower which you can schedule a time to turn on and off Wifi and Bluettooth.
    For bluetooth it will not work if you have your bb in the holster or keyboard locked

you can download it here http://www.mobihand.com/product.asp?id=49097
    10-05-10 01:10 PM
    Another toysoft app, Profiler Pro, does this as well. IMO, that's a must have app.
    10-05-10 10:48 PM
    I just keep bluetooth and wifi on all the time...they have very little affect (if any) on battery life...no timer needed.
    10-07-10 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD