Does anyone use Smartguard on there blackberry and if so, how does it work for you? I'm thinkin its a good thing to have just to be able to remotely wipe your device in the event of theft or loss.
    Comments??
    08-22-09 08:14 AM
    Love it. I think it is a small price to pay to protect my sensitive data. I love remote lock and remote listen. The remote ping works but it they changed the tone to something like a foghorn, I liked the older sound better. I think I could still hear it if I lost my BB.

Even better you can trigger a ping or lock from any email with a keyword in the subject.
    08-22-09 08:16 AM
    I've grown to appreciate it. Latest versions are stable for me, and I appreciate that added extra security blanket.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-09 08:52 AM
    My storm was stolen last week...I WISH I had installed this app on it before hand. I had insurance, so I got a new phone relatively cheap, but that does not make up for the loss of personal information. Security through obscurity is not the right approach.
    09-30-09 09:18 AM
    anyone know how to make it send an email to an account that nots you @blackberry.net account? im on rogers and in the settings on my phone its set to send notification to the account i want but thats not where it goes
    02-06-10 11:52 PM
    anyone know how to make it send an email to an account that nots you @blackberry.net account? im on rogers and in the settings on my phone its set to send notification to the account i want but thats not where it goes
    It needs the native addy to set up, then will send to any email you like. Go to the Rogers BIS site, and make one for yourself.
    02-07-10 12:17 AM
    it is free now for some of the most important features, worth the 30 seconds to download it just in case you ever need it
    02-07-10 12:19 AM
    It's free, so what are you guys paying for? I love this app. But what if they pull out your simcard? What happens then? Will you be able to wipe your device?
    02-07-10 04:45 AM
    But what if they pull out your simcard? What happens then? Will you be able to wipe your device?
    good question.....
    02-07-10 05:48 AM
    I've read the reviews, but is there someplace to go to read a users manual. I downloaded this app yesterday and have played around with it, but would really like to do more reading so I don't jack anything up.

02-07-10 05:52 AM
    I downloaded the free version last night, and after playing with it for an hour and a half, I didn't see any features that would help me. The GPS feature only works with BB Maps installed, and I'm a GMaps kinda guy. Delete.

Last edited by LittleRedDot; 02-07-10 at 06:24 AM.
    02-07-10 06:21 AM
    I installed it and then uninstalled it to see if it prompted for a password. It did not. If they person who steals your device knows anything about a BlaCkberry they can just uninstall it.

02-07-10 08:28 AM
    It's free, so what are you guys paying for? I love this app. But what if they pull out your simcard? What happens then? Will you be able to wipe your device?
    It's not free, there is a monthly/yearly charge, and you get the app either way. Just good to try for 30 days, the annoncement by the site administrators was very misleading, it should be amended to indicate it's just free for 30 days, then you pay. It's worth it, but your choice.
    02-07-10 11:25 AM
    It's not free, there is a monthly/yearly charge, and you get the app either way. Just good to try for 30 days, the annoncement by the site administrators was very misleading, it should be amended to indicate it's just free for 30 days, then you pay. It's worth it, but your choice.
    From the web site:

SmrtGuard Free = Device Protection + Personal Protection

Device Protection (features Remote Tracking and Data Wipe) with the Personal Protection is also NO cost to you.

You get the following features absolutely FREE with every download. Just download and it is yours for life!
    02-07-10 11:55 AM
    I installed it and then uninstalled it to see if it prompted for a password. It did not. If they person who steals your device knows anything about a BlaCkberry they can just uninstall it.

i also agree on this post...
    02-07-10 02:36 PM
    If you follow the link for online registration, you get to your settings page. Scroll down to the bottom of that page and you'll see that the subscription is only for 30 days.

Total waste of time. Why did they even throw this out there? This type of business practice has made me decide to never purchase any products from this company. "FREE FOR LIFE" - Ha! What a bunch of liars.

SmartGuard? More like RipYouOffGuard.
    02-08-10 05:49 AM
    The limited version IS free-Which can be used for life.

You can use (try) the following features for 30 days, in which after that time period you have to pay for continued use of these features ONLY.
    From the website...
    Data Protection features Over-The-Air Backup, as well as OTA Data Restore / Migrate from one smartphone to another. For example, when you replace your BlackBerry with an Android smartphone or vice versa, SmrtGuard migrates your data with ease, with confident.

If you choose not to keep these features, the limited version is still free.

SmrtGuard :: Wireless Backup and Smartphone Security
    02-08-10 06:12 AM
    I downloaded the free version last night, and after playing with it for an hour and a half, I didn't see any features that would help me. The GPS feature only works with BB Maps installed, and I'm a GMaps kinda guy. Delete.

the gps feature ON the phone uses bbmaps.

but why track yout phone using your phone ? :P

using their website, it uses googlemaps :P

only the data backup is a 30 days trial.

i also agree on this post... {post about pasword for uninstalling}
    no app ask for a pasword to be uninstalled, i dont think its posible.

also, no tracking app survives a sim removal (unless they put in another sim with a bbplan/data plan)

it would be nice to not have the GUI part always running, and to ask for a pasword before opening it.

If you follow the link for online registration, you get to your settings page. Scroll down to the bottom of that page and you'll see that the subscription is only for 30 days.

Total waste of time. Why did they even throw this out there? This type of business practice has made me decide to never purchase any products from this company. "FREE FOR LIFE" - Ha! What a bunch of liars.

SmartGuard? More like RipYouOffGuard.
    30 days for backup, the rest is for life.
    02-08-10 07:32 AM
    Downloaded the free version, played around with it, deleted it.

Why you ask?

It runs in the background. Not for me.
    02-08-10 08:42 AM
    OK. A BlackBerry does not know when it is lost, stolen, or in the wrong hands. SmrtGuard has to run in the backround in order to work effectively. If it did not, how would the program be started for any tracking or remote commands?

Just think, if you lose your BlackBerry, you get to a computer or laptop as fast as you can, whether it be at home, a friends computer, or public library. Then you listen in, track your device, or wipe it totally. It has to be running at all times in order to work, because losing a BlackBerry is incidental and spontaneous. You never know when it's going to happen.
    02-08-10 09:05 AM
    Love this program. If it wasn't free, I'd just go back to BuddyGuard (which I just uninstalled in favor of SmartGuard)
    02-08-10 09:41 AM
    I use E GPS......has same features.
    02-08-10 10:06 AM
    Would SmrtGuard be the cause of my crazy memory leak. About 11mb per day.
    02-15-10 06:22 PM
    The programs main features (key features) are all FREE for life. But like someone else posted if someone steals your phone and turns it off or they know a BB and just uninstall it your screwed.

They NEED to add a password to uninstall the APP for it to be effective.
    02-15-10 06:34 PM
    The only way to have it close to secured, would be to embed it in the sfi file.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!
    WAPers do it With A Passion

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

02-15-10 06:41 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD