For those who have it, how does it perform on the storm? the site confused the **** out of me and started to ask for creditcards and such when i tried to get a "free" trial.

My main goal is just to be able to play di.fm and skyfm streams, and any other streams, not sure what all the other extra features are with slacker and "finding songs" and what not, not interested much in that. Which puts another question mark in my mind on what version/plan of slacker i need to purschase? or if i just want to have di.fm streams there is a free way? I tried moodio however it gives erorrs when loading di.fm channels

thanks all
    02-28-09 07:48 AM
    Slacker is free. They have a paid version too, but the free one works great.

Go to slacker.com on your bb browser to get the download.

EDIT: I think slacker may just be available in the US for now. -- just saw that you were on Telus/Canada
    Last edited by grayzweb; 02-28-09 at 07:57 AM.
    02-28-09 07:54 AM
    First off, Slacker is free unless you pay for the upgrade (commercial free and unlimited requests). Slacker does not stream FM radio stations. Slacker is a music player that has many stations to choose from. You can even create your own stations more suited to your tastes. Slacker is a GREAT app, IMO. I enjoy it so much that I actually paid for the "Plus" subscription. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!
    02-28-09 07:56 AM
    First off, Slacker is free unless you pay for the upgrade (commercial free and unlimited requests). Slacker does not stream FM radio stations. Slacker is a music player that has many stations to choose from. You can even create your own stations more suited to your tastes. Slacker is a GREAT app, IMO. I enjoy it so much that I actually paid for the "Plus" subscription. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!
    I agree. Slacker is a excellent app. One of the best apps I have on my phone. And its free!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-09 08:26 AM
    I definitely agree that it is worth it. It does drain my battery pretty fast when I use it though, but I guess that is to be expected.
    02-28-09 08:42 AM
    Free version is awesome.
    02-28-09 08:52 AM
    I definitely agree that it is worth it. It does drain my battery pretty fast when I use it though, but I guess that is to be expected.
    I had to uninstall Slacker because it drained my battery so fast. Even when I wasn't using it. I had it on my phone for three days. I definitely enjoyed the app, but I need my battery to last past 2:30 in the afternoon. Sacrifices!
    02-28-09 08:58 AM
    ouch, by the sounds of it, it will be great if you use a car adapter + car charger. So anyone confirm is di.fm stations will stream through slacker?
    02-28-09 09:09 AM
    EDIT: I think slacker may just be available in the US for now. -- just saw that you were on Telus/Canada
    think you're right, i downloaded it, have it setup, and even selected stations, but it doesnt go any further than the buffering screen

any other apps that may work for us telus/canada users?
    02-28-09 09:24 AM
    I have slacker and I love it. I signed up for the paid version. The nice thing about the paid version is instead of just typing in an artist name and having slacker make a station, you can tell it exactly what artists you want to hear. Plus you can tell it how many (if any) new artists you want to hear played on there, and how deep the playlists should be (hits only, or deep cuts off the album). I like it so much that I canceled my XM. It's as good as XM, if not better, and it's WAY cheaper.
    02-28-09 11:19 AM
    Its only free in the US in Canada I use flycast and its alright

02-28-09 11:21 AM
    Like everyone else has said, it is free. It is a very nice program and handy in the office.
    02-28-09 12:04 PM
    Slacker does drain your battery but if you cache your stations that is suppose to prevent the battery drain.
    02-28-09 12:47 PM
    I had to uninstall Slacker because it drained my battery so fast. Even when I wasn't using it. I had it on my phone for three days. I definitely enjoyed the app, but I need my battery to last past 2:30 in the afternoon. Sacrifices!
    Don't think Slacker was cause of your leakage, at least not based on my usage. Was tracking leakage yesterday (to see if theme related), started with 30MB, 12 hours later I was still at 29MB and some change. I only used phone and text so showed the theme wasn't cause of any leakage - also shows that having Slacker app on my phone wasn't causing any either.
    02-28-09 01:18 PM
    Don't think Slacker was cause of your leakage, at least not based on my usage. Was tracking leakage yesterday (to see if theme related), started with 30MB, 12 hours later I was still at 29MB and some change. I only used phone and text so showed the theme wasn't cause of any leakage - also shows that having Slacker app on my phone wasn't causing any either.

Bob - Off-Topic - Which Theme is it? I'm having issues - suspect it could be the theme.

TIA!!!
    02-28-09 01:28 PM
    I love Slacker ever since they introduced the Storm version. Its always been a hassle to cache, especially any time I upgrade to a new leaked version. That I understand, and now just re-register every time I upgrade my O.S. and I remove the Slacker icons on the memory card and start fresh.

My question is though, how often can you or should you run the cache for stations already cached? I'm guessing eventually the playlists get updated, and how many songs are on average available in the cache stations? I do find the delay between songs is virtually gone, and I haven't had any problems with the songs skipping like some have reported.

Thanks for answering the cache question, also at the risk of being in the wrong Slacker forum.
    02-28-09 02:04 PM
    Bob - Off-Topic - Which Theme is it? I'm having issues - suspect it could be the theme.

TIA!!!
    I'm using Dark Custom theme. I noticed leakage so tried to isolate. Kept to minimal apps running in 12 hours and saw nothing substantial (with Slacker app on system). As FYI, I went and ran Slacker today, checked memory before and after and only noted slight drop in memory after an hours play and closing the app - nothing significant.
    02-28-09 02:05 PM
    My question is though, how often can you or should you run the cache for stations already cached? I'm guessing eventually the playlists get updated, and how many songs are on average available in the cache stations? I do find the delay between songs is virtually gone, and I haven't had any problems with the songs skipping like some have reported.
    Each cached station will have between 50-100 songs (usually closer to 100). When you refresh (re-run cache) again, it will remove songs you've already listened to and add new ones.
    02-28-09 02:14 PM
    Thanks much!
    02-28-09 02:14 PM
    I had so many problems with Slacker I'm now using Radio Companion. There are thousands of Radio stations to choose from.
    02-28-09 02:41 PM
    I did download it, used it for a few weeks on and off, and do plan on removing it today.

I just don't find myself using it that often. I don't have space to give up on an app that runs like a dog and takes up memory. The music is ok, but I'd rather listen to my ipod (better quality).

If there was talk radio, or business stations I'd use it more. Something different than what's available on the ipod, or cd collection, that would make one want to listen to a stream over a bb.

02-28-09 02:49 PM
    Free app that works great, ABSOLUTELY worth it.
    02-28-09 03:45 PM
    Each cached station will have between 50-100 songs (usually closer to 100). When you refresh (re-run cache) again, it will remove songs you've already listened to and add new ones.
    Ok, thanks for the clarification. I'm guessing somehow it will purge out any songs that I added as a favorite, and remove songs I said to ban from my list too.
    02-28-09 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD