Which is the better streaming radio app? I downloaded Slacker since the download link came preloaded on my Blackberry, but it seems like everyone around here is using Pandora. I've used Pandora on the computer plenty of times, and it's great, but Slacker seems like pretty much the same thing. Any major differences between the two of them?
    11-18-09 03:20 PM
    I mostly only use Pandora so I don't about Slacker. Both of them seem to have their pros and cons.
    11-18-09 03:38 PM
    i enjoy listening to Slacker Radio

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 03:40 PM
    I use Pandora. I like it.
    11-18-09 03:47 PM
    Pandora seems load slower on 9700

11-18-09 03:55 PM
    The main advantage to Slacker is that you can cache your stations (up to 25 if using a 16 GB microSD card). That way you are able to listen even when you are in an area with no coverage or if you have to turn it off, such as on an airplane.
    11-18-09 03:58 PM
    The main advantage to Slacker is that you can cache your stations (up to 25 if using a 16 GB microSD card). That way you are able to listen even when you are in an area with no coverage or if you have to turn it off, such as on an airplane.
    How do you do that?

11-18-09 04:07 PM
    I converted to slacker as well, just enjoy the overall feel of it more than pandora

11-18-09 04:35 PM
    How do you do that?

When you are listening to a station you like, press BB button, scroll down to cache playing station and press trackball. You'll get a prompt asking if you want to cache station. Click yes. Then the next time you plug your BB into your PC via USB cable, enable mass storage mode, and you'll get a popup to sync the Slacker station. It will get synced to your media card.
    11-18-09 04:43 PM
    Here's another question. On Pandora (on the computer, anyway) it limits how many times you can skip a song. Does Slacker do that too?
    11-18-09 04:47 PM
    Here's another question. On Pandora (on the computer, anyway) it limits how many times you can skip a song. Does Slacker do that too?
    Yes. Unless you get the paid version you're limited to 6 skips per hour.

Oh, another difference is that Pandora only lets you listen to 40 hrs./month. Slacker has no limits. So if you stream radio 2+ hrs./day, you will get cut off from listening to Pandora before a month is up and cannot listen at all until the next month.
    11-18-09 04:54 PM
    That's good to know. Sounds like Slacker is probably the way to go. Thanks for all the replies.
    11-19-09 02:23 AM
    Yes. Unless you get the paid version you're limited to 6 skips per hour.

Oh, another difference is that Pandora only lets you listen to 40 hrs./month. Slacker has no limits. So if you stream radio 2+ hrs./day, you will get cut off from listening to Pandora before a month is up and cannot listen at all until the next month.
    So even if you get the free version of Slacker you get unlimited listening per month?
    03-09-10 05:50 PM
    Slacker lets you cache stations to the memory card so you can listen to it in places where service isn't available, such as the subway.
    03-09-10 07:57 PM
    Caching is no longer available unless you are a paid subscriber.
    03-09-10 08:17 PM
    Pandora has a more extensive library. Slacker seems to stick mostly with "hits". Also, if Pandora has trouble streaming because of a weaker signal, it will stop the song until it catches up, which is annoying. Slacker will hiccup, which is even more annoying. You can get around the skip limit with either app by having song named stations instead of artist named stations and switching stations instead of skipping. Slacker has more features, but you have to pay for most of them (and most of them I don't use often enough to make a difference) and it frustrates me when I notice that the image for a given artist is from a greatest hits album leading me to believe that the greatest hits album is all they have in their library.

03-09-10 08:37 PM
    Caching is no longer available unless you are a paid subscriber.
    ONLY the 3.0 is paid caching, the 2.0 can still cache for FREE at least mine does
    03-10-10 05:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD