Ok so i have slacker radio and I love it, I actually have slaker radio plus because I like it so much, I used to have XM but once Sirius took over they destroyed it, so now I get unlimited skips/lyrics and my biggest reason for paying for it is being able to request songs just like that. My only question is what is cacheing and how does it work? Thanks again in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-09 06:53 AM
    Caching takes your use of the Slacker radio a bit further. Normally, to use Slacker radio, or any other radio for that matter, you have to be connected to your cell phone network. But if you choose to cache certain radio stations, it means that you have chosen to save those radio stations to your memory card in your Blackberry. The advantages are pretty solid, because it is like a stream of preprogrammed songs for each station is loaded directly to your memory card. You could listen to the songs without the need to be on your cellular phone network; this saves battery and avoids interruptions when coverage is low.

The way it works, you get to select the radio stations you want to cache; I believe 5 is the max, but I could be wrong. Also, the number of radio stations you can cache depends on how much memory you have on your memory card. After you've listened to all the songs available on the cached radio stations, you may update them by reconnecting your Blackberry to the computer. Slacker Radio would then ask you if you would like to update/refresh the radio stations. If you select yes, you'll get a new set of songs tailored to the stations you selected to be cached. It's really sweet; it's like downloading radio stations directly to your memory card. I should mention that even though the songs for each radio station are on your memory card, the application still functions like a radio. You wouldn't be able to dictate which songs it plays or anything like that. But you would be able to skip songs, pause songs, etc.
    09-24-09 07:07 AM
    ok so what your saying is i can select certain preprogrammed radio stations and cache them which means saving the entire playlist of that station in my phones memory card?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-09 07:18 AM
    Yes, but however it is accomplished, it doesn't take up close to as much memory as you might expect. The files are not stored as MP3s, MP4s or WMPs, or anything like that. Rather, you have no access to song files at all, just to the cached radio stations containing the songs. But yes, it is essentially storing a station's playlist on your Blackberry's media card (not the phone's inbuilt memory). To give you an idea of how little memory this consumes, I have a 1 gigabyte memory card with loads of pictures and songs already downloaded to it, but still had no difficulty caching 5 stations on the card. You can then update/refresh the songs when you have exhausted the playlists. Or not. It's at your option. I should also mention that it is pretty amazing how many songs can be fitted on each playlist. It took days before I actually noticed that a station was beginning to repeat songs. Of course, I wasn't listening to it the whole time. I took breaks for work, for the X-box 360, to eat, and to consummate my relationship with my girlfriend. Or I should say ex-girlfriend...
    Last edited by Barredbard; 09-24-09 at 07:53 AM.
    09-24-09 07:42 AM
    wow thats really cool, I will have to try this out, Thanks again for all the info and quick replys.
    09-24-09 07:53 AM
    Sure thing; you're welcome. Blackberry users are a cult, not a congregation.
    09-24-09 07:57 AM
    Does anyone know if you could save a particular song that you like? For some reason, I think we are NOT able to do it on the Blackberry? I checked out the slacker website and it says you could save songs....but there is NO option to do so I also have the Slacker Plus
    09-24-09 08:25 AM
    Does anyone know if you could save a particular song that you like? For some reason, I think we are NOT able to do it on the Blackberry? I checked out the slacker website and it says you could save songs....but there is NO option to do so I also have the Slacker Plus
    I don't know that you can do that. At least, I haven't tried. But I've found that so long as you are sure to indicate which songs are highly rated for you, they tend to show up on your playlist everytime....
    09-24-09 10:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD