Did anybody else quickpull/re-set their Storm and upon reset noticed a new app that they did not upload? How can I delet it? The usual way of deleting, highlighting and pushing the BB key to delete, is not an option.
    What's up?
    07-16-09 09:12 AM
    07-16-09 09:15 AM
    I noticed the same thing just now. It's a shortcut to download the app. I'm on verizon, and I wonder if it's them pushing Slacker for some promotional thing.
    07-16-09 09:16 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/i-j...-storm-268777/

Scrolling down the main page, right where you posted this thread, I found the one I just linked...lol
    07-16-09 09:17 AM
    Happen to me today, trying to get rid of it now..
    07-16-09 09:39 AM
    Same thing for me too. I hope this isn't the start of direct to phone marketing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-09 09:46 AM
    Vzw needs to quit doing this to us..... Apple doesn't!

07-16-09 09:48 AM
    If you want to get rid of it just download and the delete the application... reboot the phone and it's gone.
    07-16-09 10:03 AM
    I hated that I woke up with the slacker icon on my phone and I already have slacker.

===============================

storm > ((iphone3gs) + y(ners))

===============================

07-16-09 10:22 AM
    If you want to get rid of it just download and the delete the application... reboot the phone and it's gone.
    it doesnt work. its part of svc's book. Power cycle your storm again and it will be back.
    07-16-09 10:26 AM
    It will come back no matter what

It doesnt take up any space on the phone, its only an icon

This is no different than having AIM, Yahoo messenger, Vcast preinstalled on your phone really.
    07-16-09 10:31 AM
    I thought the work around is to go to options>advanced options>service books>BB button and delete. Worked to remove the two previous VZW ads.

07-16-09 10:34 AM
    I thought the work around is to go to options>advanced options>service books>BB button and delete. Worked to remove the two previous VZW ads.

The VPL service books will get pushed again. This is why people complain about it. If it was simply something they pushed that we could simply delete permanently, then there wouldn't be a problem.

My suggestion, call VZW and complain about it. Eventually it'll stop.
    07-16-09 10:36 AM
    Yer right... I take that back. Better hide it/them.

07-16-09 10:48 AM
    Just hide the icon.. I don't see the big deal. Advertising is everywhere, at least this kind you can hide, and it doesn't take up space on the phone - it's not the actual app, just a link to download it.
    07-16-09 11:54 AM
    Just hide the icon.. I don't see the big deal. Advertising is everywhere, at least this kind you can hide, and it doesn't take up space on the phone - it's not the actual app, just a link to download it.
    So not the same thing... the phone is my property. What if everyday you got into your car, someone had placed an ad on your seat? Wouldn't you wonder why they are doing it, how they got into your property without your permission, and how you can make it stop?

We seem to be able to opt out of most advertising, and when you can't it's considered SPAM. So.. in this case, what Verizon is really doing is sending SPAM to our phones.

Let me opt out at the least.
    07-16-09 12:21 PM
    I agree the practice is annoying as **** ... at least Slacker Radio is a decent application though. It doesn't justify or excuse the practice ... I'm just saying....
    07-16-09 12:24 PM
    07-16-09 12:28 PM
    Effin A. Verizon needs to stop. I know its not an app just a link, but I do not want it
    07-16-09 01:39 PM
    Effin A. Verizon needs to stop. I know its not an app just a link, but I do not want it
    I don't want icons for apps I don't want either, but its pretty cool how ya have the option of buying the song while it play! Just tryna look on the bright side I guess. In the meantime, just hide it. Me personally, I have a folder created for all the "junk" I don't want. Idk why, but I don't like hiding things! Lol

07-16-09 01:42 PM
    So not the same thing... the phone is my property. What if everyday you got into your car, someone had placed an ad on your seat? Wouldn't you wonder why they are doing it, how they got into your property without your permission, and how you can make it stop?

We seem to be able to opt out of most advertising, and when you can't it's considered SPAM. So.. in this case, what Verizon is really doing is sending SPAM to our phones.

Let me opt out at the least.
    And i can't drive this car without gas... So lets do this... The person that puts gas in my car puts a mint on my seat... You apparently hate mints but others don't, so he continues to put the mint there... Now you can act like this is such a big deal or you can hide the damn icon and get over it.
    07-16-09 01:46 PM
    When you pay for cable tv you end up watching all kind of ad's you really don't want. It is the same thing with this. Verizon pushed Slacker to your phone and as wrong as that is, it looks like you have to live with it. Just hide it and ignore it.

It will not be long before all the carriers are pushing ads like this
    07-16-09 01:59 PM
    Been reading crackberry threads for a few months now, but this is my first post.

Honestly this whole app push thing really rubs me the wrong way. I pay over $100 dollars a month for verizion service, I shouldn't be forced to receive links from any company that is willing to pay verizon enough for a push.

I called verizon to talk to them about this today, after a lot of awkward silence from the customer service woman she promised me that someone higher up would be calling me to discuss preventing having these pushes sent to me in the future.

While I sincerely doubt anything will happen in the immediate future, I feel that if everyone who is upset by what essentially breaks down to spam makes their feelings known, then maybe eventually verizon will come up with another method for sending out their "application suggestions."

I propose some sort of email or website link option which allows you to choose whether or not you would like to recieve "suggestions" from verizon. Maybe even let us choose our preferences for what type of programs we might be interested in. I don't use my blackberry for music very often, so all of these recent pushes have been completely useless.
    Last edited by cnicolai; 07-16-09 at 02:03 PM.
    07-16-09 02:00 PM
    I have advertising in my Guitar Hero game on my Xbox 360. Current ads. Nothing I can do about it. Yeah the Xbox is my property, but the server I connect live to belongs to them
    07-16-09 02:01 PM
    Been reading crackberry threads for a few months now, but this is my first post.

Honestly this whole app push thing really rubs me the wrong way. I pay over $100 dollars a month for verizion service, I shouldn't be forced to receive links from any company that is willing to pay verizon enough for a push.

I called verizon to talk to them about this today, after a lot of awkward silence from the customer service woman she promised me that someone higher up would be calling me to discuss preventing having these pushes sent to me in the future.

While I sincerely doubt anything will happen in the immediate future, I feel that if everyone who is upset by what essentially breaks down to spam makes their feelings known, then maybe eventually verizon will come up with another method for sending out their "application suggestions."

I propose some sort of email or website link option which allows you to choose whether or not you would like to recieve "suggestions" from verizon. Maybe even let us choose our preferences for what type of programs we might be interested in. I don't use my blackberry for music very often, so all of these recent pushes have been completely useless.
    In reality there are ads everywhere so... what I got rid of it once and it seems like surprisingly I'm still alive...
    07-16-09 02:11 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD