I have a question about slacker, it only plays half of the song, and then moves onto the next. Is that suppose to happen or am I missing something?
    01-14-09 02:01 AM
    Odd. I get full version songs.$

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 02:36 AM
    Well it dims, and I might have pressed it to get the back light on again, and i might have pressed skip, seems fine now. Other than that, its an amazing app, i'm listening to old school rap i couldn't fine anywhere else.

Is it a real battery hog?
    01-14-09 02:40 AM
    Is it a real battery hog?
    If you cache the stations to a media card, you can save on battery consumption, according to the website anyway.
    01-14-09 02:54 AM
    What does it mean if you cache them?

I should know but i don't, sorry im a n00b
    01-14-09 03:05 AM
    What does it mean if you cache them?

I should know but i don't, sorry im a n00b
    Caching them saves the stations and songs to your memory card for future playback. You dojn't have to buffer between songs or worry about signal loss. Once you cache a station on your phone, plug it into your pc and you sync the stations. Easy and AWESOME!
    01-14-09 03:20 AM
    Caching them saves the stations and songs to your memory card for future playback. You dojn't have to buffer between songs or worry about signal loss. Once you cache a station on your phone, plug it into your pc and you sync the stations. Easy and AWESOME!
    oh that sounds useful. thank you
    01-14-09 03:31 AM
    Caching is the only way to get reliable playback with Slacker.
    01-14-09 06:42 AM
    Can you give me a little more details on how to do this. I cached the stations on my phone and plugged my BB into my pc and nothing happened. What am I doing wrong? Thanks
    01-14-09 08:15 AM
    Can you give me a little more details on how to do this. I cached the stations on my phone and plugged my BB into my pc and nothing happened. What am I doing wrong? Thanks
    I'm with you on this one. I've even gone to the Slacker website and can't find any detailed instructions on how to cache a station. I've tried everything I know and can't get it to work, but everyone who uses it says caching is the way to go.

Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.
    01-14-09 08:37 AM
    I downloaded Slacker a few days ago and haven't had any issues, you might want to reinstall the app.
    01-14-09 09:02 AM
    You need to run the app it installs on the media card. something sync... It will then cache your stations. It takes a while for the first one- 15-20 minutes per station. A new station will take longer, and it will update and refresh existing cached stations the next time you run it.
    01-14-09 09:04 AM
    Thks rgorman, I will try it again when I get home.

01-14-09 09:07 AM
    Caching is the only way to get reliable playback with Slacker.
    I disagree. Streaming the stations provides reliable playback for me. I don't have a computer to cache the stations so I stream them and it works very well. Perhaps you should reinstall the app if you are having streaming problems. I'm on a sprint 8330 running 4.3.

01-14-09 09:14 AM
    First, you need to select which stations you want to cache while listening to Slacker on your BB, just go to the menu and select "sync current station". The number of stations you can sync will depend on your available space on your SD card. Each station will sync 100 songs. You will need at least 500mb free to sync stations, though each station only takes up 100mb or so.

Make sure in your options that you enable MASS STORAGE MODE by going to Options > Media Card > Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected - select YES or PROMPT. If you select prompt, you will have to turn it on by the prompt you are given each time you plug in your BB into your PC.

Once you plug it into your PC, allow Mass storage mode from your BB, then open the drive on your computer, or OPEN FOLDER TO VIEW FILES. Once your are in your BB folder on your computer, you should see an executable file named "slacker.synclauncher.exe" OPEN IT and let it work. It will take a while the first time because it needs to download 100 songs for each station (this downloads over your PC internet connection, NOT BB data connection). After you listen to your stations, and plug your BB into your PC again to sync, it will only refresh your cached stations with as many songs as you listened to, keeping your playlist at 100 fresh songs, so future syncs will go faster depending on how often you sync it.

Works flawlessly and IMO is almost as good if not better in some ways than an IPOD! Fresh, new music all the time, for FREE!
    01-14-09 09:14 AM
    and with EVDO connection, the streaming music plays very well too.... if you have a slow data connection, maybe caching stations will be your best option, but mine streams great with no glitches or skips
    01-14-09 09:17 AM
    In addition- even though the "free" app has commercials... I've averaged 1 (ONE) 30 second commercial every 7-9 songs. And those have been either a Slacker ad or an Esurance ad.
    Oh, and caching seems to conserve battery life as well.
    01-14-09 10:08 AM
    Thanks Drogers4! Worked perfectly.

Now I have another problem.

I've 'uncached' a station and slacker tells me it will remove it the next time I sync via the usb. I plug in the usb, run slacker.synclauncer and it says it refreshes all the stations but actually does nothing. If I then run slacker again on the BB, it shows no stations in the cache tab, but still tells me I must free another 125mb in order to cache stations - but I have no stations cached! It's like slacker refuses to remove the station from my media card. I've tried a battery pull - no luck.

Anyone else have this problem?
    Last edited by Dilbert; 01-14-09 at 12:46 PM.
    01-14-09 12:41 PM
    First, you need to select which stations you want to cache while listening to Slacker on your BB, just go to the menu and select "sync current station". The number of stations you can sync will depend on your available space on your SD card. Each station will sync 100 songs. You will need at least 500mb free to sync stations, though each station only takes up 100mb or so.

Make sure in your options that you enable MASS STORAGE MODE by going to Options > Media Card > Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected - select YES or PROMPT. If you select prompt, you will have to turn it on by the prompt you are given each time you plug in your BB into your PC.

Once you plug it into your PC, allow Mass storage mode from your BB, then open the drive on your computer, or OPEN FOLDER TO VIEW FILES. Once your are in your BB folder on your computer, you should see an executable file named "slacker.synclauncher.exe" OPEN IT and let it work. It will take a while the first time because it needs to download 100 songs for each station (this downloads over your PC internet connection, NOT BB data connection). After you listen to your stations, and plug your BB into your PC again to sync, it will only refresh your cached stations with as many songs as you listened to, keeping your playlist at 100 fresh songs, so future syncs will go faster depending on how often you sync it.

Works flawlessly and IMO is almost as good if not better in some ways than an IPOD! Fresh, new music all the time, for FREE!

This sounds awesome. I can't wait to get home to try it out. Thanks for your help.
    01-14-09 12:50 PM
    Just aquestion on the Slacker App? How intensive is it on Bandwidth and will Verzion get all buggy if you have an "unlimited" internet plan with the Blackberry and you are streaming?? Is there an estimate on how much per hour it pulls down??

Thanks
    01-14-09 01:42 PM
    Quick question, where do i go to listen to my cache stations once they are transferred to my memory card? slacker still shows 0 cache stations, and don't see them anywhere on my phone
    01-14-09 05:46 PM
    Thanks Drogers4! Worked perfectly.

Now I have another problem.

I've 'uncached' a station and slacker tells me it will remove it the next time I sync via the usb. I plug in the usb, run slacker.synclauncer and it says it refreshes all the stations but actually does nothing. If I then run slacker again on the BB, it shows no stations in the cache tab, but still tells me I must free another 125mb in order to cache stations - but I have no stations cached! It's like slacker refuses to remove the station from my media card. I've tried a battery pull - no luck.

Anyone else have this problem?

I had the same problem, I currently have 4 cached stations, when I removed one and tried adding a different it gave me that same error so I deleted all 4 stations, plugged the usb. went to the folder menu and deleted the slacker radio folder on the memory card. then unplugged the usb. started slacker station and cached the songs. plugged the usb again it started to add all 4
    stations i selected from scratch. Hopefully theres a better way.
    01-14-09 06:28 PM
    Quick question, where do i go to listen to my cache stations once they are transferred to my memory card? slacker still shows 0 cache stations, and don't see them anywhere on my phone
    did you run the sync app on the media card?

"slacker.synclauncher.exe"
    01-14-09 07:53 PM
    I was disappointed when I saw in the FAQ it required a PC sync. It's not possible to download the station on the device and save it to the SD?
    01-14-09 08:03 PM
    I disagree. Streaming the stations provides reliable playback for me. I don't have a computer to cache the stations so I stream them and it works very well. Perhaps you should reinstall the app if you are having streaming problems. I'm on a sprint 8330 running 4.3.

I first tried it w/o caching and I would get a drop out every 10-15 seconds. After enabling caching I get continuous uninterrupted play.
    01-14-09 08:11 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD