From Gigaom.com

Now here are a few things they didn�t tell you:

* The Skype mobile client won�t work over any WiFi-enabled smartphones...To me, that�s bogus.
    * You cannot use the Skype client to make any calls to U.S. PSTN numbers. Those calls are routed over Verizon�s network, and thus in the process help generate the company more money. In other words, a leopard doesn�t really change its spots.
    * Despite the company�s boasting, there are a lot of places where Verizon�s 3G network doesn�t quite work, especially as you start moving away from urban areas. In the words of Dr. Gregory House (of �House�): Everybody lies. (Especially phone companies, if I may add.)
    02-19-10 09:25 AM
    How about a skype chat client?

Btw... there is skype on the iPhone which is wifi. And I emailed skype about a month ago about a skype I'm client for BB and they said it was in the process of being created.

I really hope we do get skype....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-10 09:48 AM
    * The Skype mobile client won�t work over any WiFi-enabled smartphones...To me, that�s bogus.
    I doubt this claim. If it is true, then why would they list support for Storm2, Curve2, or the Droid devices? These are WiFi enabled.

I think it means that you can't use Skype OVER WiFi, meaning you have to use data to use skype...which, for most of the BB population, is unlimited anyway, and goes along with the VZW plan of requiring data plans. I realize 3G might not be superb everywhere, but i doubt it means that you can't use it on a device that has WiFi
    Last edited by spyderman09; 02-19-10 at 10:01 AM.
    02-19-10 09:55 AM
    I doubt this claim. If it is true, then why would they list support for Storm2, Curve2, or the Droid devices? These are WiFi enabled.

I think it means that you can't use Skype OVER WiFi, meaning you have to use data to use skype...which, for most of the BB population, is unlimited anyway, and goes along with the VZW plan of requiring data plans. I realize 3G might not be superb everywhere, but i doubt it means that you can't use it on a device that has WiFi

I am with you on this. If you looked in the advertising release for Skype on VZW. it showed wifi enabled devices on there. not to mention they would be stupid for denying the service on their flagship devices.
    02-20-10 01:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD