Is there a Skype download that works on Sprint? or is this a Verizon only thing right now?
    03-25-10 09:50 AM
    verizon only, for the time being.
    03-25-10 10:23 AM
    Any theories for a way to get Skype to work on Sprint? Anyone try running a VZW official release OS or keeping/installing vendor file in OS on a Sprint phone?
    03-25-10 02:19 PM
    It should be released shortly for Sprint from what I understand.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-10 02:35 PM
    I have the blackberry curve 8530 and it IS a compatible device, but the only thing stopping Skype from being installed is the fact its a Sprint service phone. I am new to the blackberry, but why would it not work on a Sprint phone if the device is compatible? Why would Skype block out a few million more users from using it? (My guess is $ and what not...advertising deals etc) Does it have to do with operating systems? I have an app that uses Skype, but its just not the same.

So I suppose we have to wait for one of 3 things...1) Wait for sprint to release it on their network 2) Wait for a smarty to crack the programming on the Verizon app 3) Just wait for Skype to stop being so greedy.
    03-25-10 05:24 PM
    So I suppose we have to wait for one of 3 things...1) Wait for sprint to release it on their network 2) Wait for a smarty to crack the programming on the Verizon app 3) Just wait for Skype to stop being so greedy.
    Skype is a business, not a charitable organization that promotes free communication. Businesses exist to make money, so don't expect them to stop being "greedy" anytime soon.

03-26-10 01:08 AM
    sprint has the nascar app, verizon has the skype.. Pick which you want
    03-26-10 08:02 AM
    I don't have a skype account, so I haven't tried.
    But, if you could get the app, would it work?

03-26-10 01:12 PM
    From what I've heard, this is going to be exclusive on BigRed for a while now... So, Don't hold your breath. lol
    03-26-10 04:17 PM
    Skype is a business, not a charitable organization that promotes free communication. Businesses exist to make money, so don't expect them to stop being "greedy" anytime soon.

Huh?

Skype is a peer-to-peer network--the more users there are, the better the quality. That's how they built it out in the first place. They make money on the ancillary services (SkypeOut, subscriptions, etc.).

It's not Skype which is the issue here, it's Sprint. Just like it was Verizon until they threw in the towel due to Skype for iPhone's availability.

Keep in mind that there is one caveat: domestic calls from Skype on your phone to a domestic landline/mobile (i.e. SkypeOut) will *not* be charged against your Skype credit. Rather they will be counted against your mobile minutes.

The big wins here are: cheaper int'l calls (can use SkypeOut); and free calls *if* calling another Skype user (Skype2Skype).
    04-16-10 02:46 PM
    Sprint is not the issue... VZW cut some deal with skype for some sort of exclusivity..

It is an urban myth that *cheap* international calls are available using skypeout..

go check, i did.. On Sprint, its 5c/min to call the UK, on Skype anything from 2c/min-$2.20/min and guess what? they dont tell you when premium times are.

Huh?

Skype is a peer-to-peer network--the more users there are, the better the quality. That's how they built it out in the first place. They make money on the ancillary services (SkypeOut, subscriptions, etc.).

It's not Skype which is the issue here, it's Sprint. Just like it was Verizon until they threw in the towel due to Skype for iPhone's availability.

Keep in mind that there is one caveat: domestic calls from Skype on your phone to a domestic landline/mobile (i.e. SkypeOut) will *not* be charged against your Skype credit. Rather they will be counted against your mobile minutes.

The big wins here are: cheaper int'l calls (can use SkypeOut); and free calls *if* calling another Skype user (Skype2Skype).
    04-16-10 03:53 PM
    Sprint is not the issue... VZW cut some deal with skype for some sort of exclusivity..

It is an urban myth that *cheap* international calls are available using skypeout..

go check, i did.. On Sprint, its 5c/min to call the UK, on Skype anything from 2c/min-$2.20/min and guess what? they dont tell you when premium times are.
    What?

The price on SkypeOut varies on a per-carrier basis in the UK.

As for UK vs. others, keep in mind you can get a subscription rate to make things cheaper if needed. Also I'd say "urban myth" is a rather strong statement--couldn't you just say "myth"?

And finally, regarding exclusivity--please name a source, otherwise it is hearsay.
    04-16-10 06:03 PM
    Can't we just use the OTA link that goes to the Skype site for a Verizon phone to get this to download on a Sprint phone?
    05-05-10 10:58 AM
    OK, I was able to download the Skype for my BB. But when I run it it says it is only for Verizon phones, anyone know if it is just a service book issue and can someone post the service book from Verizon for Skype so I can load it and try?
    05-05-10 11:52 AM
    Hhjjjj
    06-03-10 09:14 PM
    How do I get skype on my bb using sprint

07-09-11 03:51 PM
    You don't sorry.

07-09-11 03:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD