What if this could be possible. PIN to PIN phone calls. To any BlackBerry, minutes would be free, and BlackBerry users would rejoice.

What if. Hmmm....

I can understand PIN to PIN messaging is free. But why not take it a step further and make it PIN to PIN phone calls, using our PIN numbers as a dial up number.

I wonder if RIM would ever implement this some day. I could be saving myself a lot of money if this were possible. And, prevent me from dumping RIM and going to another phone that has a better browser and cheaper apps (ala iPhone).

Just a thought.
    03-24-10 04:52 PM
    One one hand I think what you are suggesting would be a good idea (like PTT on steroids) but on the other hand I don't think RIM cares if you go to another device. I know I don't.
    03-24-10 05:08 PM
    I think RIM does care. I also think they think they need to step it up. So this would be a great way to keep and get customers. However, I bet carriers would disable it. Or charge to use it. The world these days. *tsk tsk* but good idea.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-10 05:15 PM
    Uh, what about the whole usage issue, you know, the traffic on the carrier's network. That's what they care about. PIN messages take up negligible space on the network. Talking, on the other hand, takes up plenty. I don't see how it would be economically viable.
    03-24-10 10:10 PM
    That would mean using some sort of VOIP technology
    03-24-10 10:15 PM
    Today, we have the announcement that Skype will be supported on Verizon to Verizon customers.

http://crackberry.com/skype-mobile-n...other-carriers

Half way there...

03-25-10 10:43 AM
    Is there any news on how Skype is doing against it's original creators? As far as I know there's still the potential Skype can be shut down forever if they win the court case against eBay and they pull the proprietary VoIP technology from it.
    03-25-10 10:56 AM
    It is Verizon, so you can be sure there is no Wifi component and it will be useless for International calling, except from Canada, maybe.

Mobile Service Plans: Verizon Wireless

Verizon is marketing an unlimited voice plan. Skype doesn't pose much of a threat to that model.

Carriers that market fixed minunits plans are in a totally different situation... this is a huge threat to their primary revenue stream. I don't see Roger/ Fido jumping on this any time soon.

03-25-10 11:25 AM
    yea that would be a pretty cool idea, but i doubt that RIM would ever do that. if its a company phone you would likely only be calling people with other blackberrys, and you would end up using almost no minutes. i dont think phone companies would appreciate that.

same applies to skype.
    03-25-10 11:50 AM
    I think there is a backend way of making unlimited calls via skype free using verizon skype software. Still validating this... the theory is this, if I called a person on skype "think of them as your operator" they set up a three way conference call, first contacting you via skype and you connect, and then they connect you to your third party, since you already connected via skype to skype, you pay nothing. I already tested the three way conversation using a operator and that worked. So now I need to test first operator connects via skype to my phone, I am sure this is free, and then the operator connects the third party, so I am pretty sure this beats the verizon skype to phone cell cost.

If this works, I am pretty sure some third party software could be created used as a operator.
    03-25-10 06:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD