Skype mobile™ for BlackBerry® smartphones

Verizon Wireless customers only.
    02-02-11 12:44 PM
    Change log?
    02-02-11 12:45 PM
    Just type in m.skype.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-11 01:10 PM
    Some minor UI changes are noticeable including contact pictures. Can be downloaded at m.Skype.com
    02-02-11 03:11 PM
    I see that most of you who posted here are also Storm 2 (9550) owners. Did anyone have trouble installing this new version of Skype? My older version was working fine but as soon as I installed this new version I can no longer get Skype to even load on my phone. I have tried unstalling, re-installing, over and over again (4 times now). I have even been on the phone with Verizon tech support (what a bunch of useless individuals) with no help there.

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.
    02-02-11 08:57 PM
    on my Storm 2 (Verizon) i get a message saying that Skype is unavailable for my mobile. Already using the previous version, any ideas why it won't let me download the new one?
    02-02-11 09:08 PM
    I had the same problem, posted on multiple blogs, contacted Verizon, RIM and Skype, no answer or "contact the other party".

I had to completely rebuild my system by wiping the old one and with clean install of new system and my apps one by one. All restore attempts had failed. Sorry.

I transferred my Tour setup into Bold 9650.

I'd not update Skype if it was not originally installed on your BB and was transferred from another device, it doesn't worth the risk; changes area minimal even from the original version.
    Last edited by VZNBerry; 02-02-11 at 09:15 PM.
    02-02-11 09:09 PM
    I have the same problem on my Bold 9650...I think it might be that my new (official) OS 6 from Verizon isnt accepted yet.
    02-02-11 09:12 PM
    When I called Verizon they told me this update did not work on the .1015 OS for the 9550. However, I told them I was not even running that version because of all the other bugs and they had no answer.

Does anyone know where I can find a link to the older version of the Skype moble software? Obviously Verizon was not able to provide that.
    02-02-11 09:18 PM
    I am running .1015 OS on my storm2. I did not seem to have an issue installing this. Good Luck.
    02-02-11 09:45 PM
    I tried to download Skype to my Verizon 9650 OS 5.0.0.975 from the link that Reed posted and got the same results others have reported, "Skype isn't available for your phone." But at the bottom of that screen was a prompt to install Skype on another phone. I clicked that, it offered Skype for the 9650, I installed it, and it worked perfectly. I think the bug is just with their automatic model detection code.
    02-02-11 09:45 PM
    I am running .1015 OS on my storm2. I did not seem to have an issue installing this. Good Luck.
    Does it actually work? I have been able to get the software "installed" but it will not open. It even shows running when I go to switch applications.

I have tried EVERYTHING!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!
    02-02-11 10:24 PM
    Does it actually work? I have been able to get the software "installed" but it will not open. It even shows running when I go to switch applications.

I have tried EVERYTHING!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!
    If you changed devices and used "restore"function to preserve your settings on your new BB, you may have to do a clean install of the OS and then install latest Skype in order for it to work.

Otherwise, wipe your device and go back to your previous backup and restore it from there. That way you can keep your old skype working.
    02-03-11 02:07 AM
    Installed on my OS6 VZW Bold 9650 fine after initial freeze-up and battery pull. I'm not crazy that they added my whole phone book to the contacts list, though.
    02-03-11 06:38 AM
    ... I'm not crazy that they added my whole phone book to the contacts list, though.
    That's a user-selectable option. It may default to yes, since it seems to have happened without you realizing that you were agreeing to it.

02-03-11 07:12 AM
    That's a user-selectable option. It may default to yes, since it seems to have happened without you realizing that you were agreeing to it.

I have tried everything to get this working on my 9550 running OS 5.0.0.897. When speaking with Skype support they said in order to run the new version (1.4.0.7) you need to install "Feature Pack II". Where can I find this. The people at Verizon support did not even know.

02-03-11 07:53 AM
    I'm sorry, I've never heard of Feature Pack II either. I didn't have to install anything other than the Skype app itself on my 9650 running OS 5.0.0.975.
    02-03-11 07:56 AM
    I Think I'll give it a go since that is the version OS I am running.....
    02-03-11 09:06 AM

Thanks, Jeff. That did it. I'm pretty sure I've always had this checked to Yes but it never included all of my contacts before. Maybe that's a "fix"?
    02-03-11 09:07 AM
    My storm II rebooted into a white screen 3 times after install. I realized I could still bring up the task manager and switch to my homescreen, but skype was frozen. I was then able to uninstall it, reboot, and re-install it. I could probably have used DM to uninstall it as well for those having similar problems.
    02-03-11 09:50 AM
    My storm II rebooted into a white screen 3 times after install. I realized I could still bring up the task manager and switch to my homescreen, but skype was frozen. I was then able to uninstall it, reboot, and re-install it. I could probably have used DM to uninstall it as well for those having similar problems.
    Same thing happened to me and I have yet to get it installed correctly. Hope you have better luck since Verizon and Skype customer service was no help.

02-03-11 10:09 AM
    I had an uncaught exception after booting, but I rebooted again with a BP and all was fine.

Seems to operate just fine.
    02-03-11 10:31 AM
    On a slightly different topic, would anyone be able to tell me if just using the text or IM portion of Slype Mobile is much of a data hog? My daughter is on the 15MB for $15 plan with Verizon. She knows that video and audio is not an option as far data use, however I am wondering about the IM portion? Would that be fairly data-friendly or would it also suck through data usage in a hurry?

Thanks!
    02-03-11 10:35 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD