Why Skype is not avalable for our blackberry's but for other devices are avalable ? We could make skype to skype calls free of charge just using our unlimited data services. Any country. And iSkoot is not Skype.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-11 05:48 PM
    Verizon has a lock on Skype for BB. Skype signed a contract with Verizon that gives them exclusivity.

It actually uses Verizon's network (you call into their network first) rather than being a true VOIP app.

The closest you can come is IM+ Talk, which does half-duplex Skype (like a walkie-talkie: push to talk, release to listen).
    01-18-11 06:10 PM
    Skype making this kind of deal with Verizon is a betrayal of trust. I get that VOIP is immature technology and sometimes you get spotty service or you get knocked off the network outright... but to make it so it will only run on devices hosted by a specific carrier is loathesome. I pay my subscription fee and the Skype client is even available on the capriciously-managed iPhone AppStore. To deny it on BlackBerry has me looking for alternatives, if I can convince my Skype contacts to install a new app and sign up with an alternate service.

How's Google Voice? Why should I stick with Skype over Google Voice aside from the aforementioned "critical mass" issue?
    01-20-11 07:01 PM
    Isnt Skype agreement with Verizon only North America specific?
    01-20-11 08:07 PM
    Not having Skype available on my Torch is the only reason for me considering leaving BB. If I had mifi on my Torch at least I could use my ipod Touch.

01-20-11 08:13 PM
    I think it is. I have a friend of mine from the UK with a Blackberry, and he can use skype freely.
    01-21-11 09:41 AM
    How does he use Skype in the UK? The only way I know is that now 3Uk are offering it, but that doesn't help others on other carriers. I hope they haven't signed an exclusivity agreement with 3Uk in the UK like they have with Verizon in the US???
    01-21-11 11:10 AM
    How does he use Skype in the UK? The only way I know is that now 3Uk are offering it, but that doesn't help others on other carriers. I hope they haven't signed an exclusivity agreement with 3Uk in the UK like they have with Verizon in the US???
    yes, he is with 3UK...
    01-21-11 07:12 PM
    I use iSkoot for Skype on my Torch...glitchy and sound quality is a bit off, but its free.

01-27-11 04:20 PM
    Not having Skype available on my Torch is the only reason for me considering leaving BB. If I had mifi on my Torch at least I could use my ipod Touch.

If you jailbreak your ipod, theres an app you can get that will allow you to use bluetooth DUN. Then get pdanet for you torch and you can then tether your ipod to your Torch and use its connection over bluetooth.
    01-27-11 10:05 PM
    I use iSkoot for Skype on my Torch...glitchy and sound quality is a bit off, but its free.

iSkoot for Skype will be shut down on January 20, 2011

Current users will be able to connect to iSkoot for Skype until January 20, 2011.
    As of today, downloads are no longer available from www.iskoot.com and no new user accounts can be accepted.
    Sincere thanks to everyone who has used this service for your support and feedback over the years.

Source: � iSkoot for Skype
    01-28-11 02:37 AM
    iSkoot for Skype will be shut down on January 20, 2011

Current users will be able to connect to iSkoot for Skype until January 20, 2011.
    As of today, downloads are no longer available from www.iskoot.com and no new user accounts can be accepted.
    Sincere thanks to everyone who has used this service for your support and feedback over the years.

Source: � iSkoot for Skype
    I think they just now remembered me...it was working yesterday =P...ah well, it was good while it lasted.

01-28-11 10:52 AM
    how long is this skype contract with Verizon?
    02-09-11 11:04 PM
    Has there been an update on if it will be released to anybody outside of Verison anytime soon?

03-29-11 03:16 AM
    Nope. They signed an exclusive agreement.
    03-29-11 06:45 AM
    how long is this skype contract with Verizon?
    I don't believe that information was publicly released, but the rumors were that it was for 2 or 3 years initially.
    03-29-11 06:49 AM
    Which is really BS for Canadians, Verizon isn't an option for a carrier, but we still can't have Skype on our BB's. I don't get why Skype would want to limit their app like that.
    03-29-11 06:56 PM
    Which is really BS for Canadians, Verizon isn't an option for a carrier, but we still can't have Skype on our BB's.

I don't get why Skype would want to limit their app like that.
    It's called MONEY.

And Verizon has more of it that ALL OF US COMBINED. And they like paid a hefty sum for the privilege.
    03-29-11 07:43 PM
    True enough, but it would've made more sense if it was just in the US.
    03-29-11 09:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD