05-28-09 10:33 PM
    Can I install it directly on my phone without going thru DM?
    05-28-09 10:49 PM
    Is there an OTA or jad file available?
    05-28-09 10:56 PM
    Can I install it directly on my phone without going thru DM?
    No. This link is for DM. I haven't seen a OTA link yet.
    05-28-09 10:57 PM
    argh...i've no computer handy! No way to install directly COD and ALX?
    05-28-09 10:59 PM
    I thought skype only worked on wifi enabled phones.....
    05-28-09 11:47 PM
    To get it to work, you need to enable "full keyboard" in portrate mode, and use the 'p' 'q' and 'space' keys to select the menu items. It also will only work in "compatibility mode" So go to "options / advanced options / applications / skype " and select "enable compatibility mode". When I signed in, it asked me if I wanted to download the updated version. This version gave me an error and didn't work, still here's the link if you want to play with it. It is an OTA link for the blackberry browser. It did NOT work on my phone, but it's there if you want it.

http://mobiledownload.skype.com/getU...latformid=1822
    05-29-09 12:14 AM
    To get it to work, you need to enable "full keyboard" in portrate mode, and use the 'p' 'q' and 'space' keys to select the menu items. It also will only work in "compatibility mode" So go to "options / advanced options / applications / skype " and select "enable compatibility mode". When I signed in, it asked me if I wanted to download the updated version. This version gave me an error and didn't work, still here's the link if you want to play with it. It is an OTA link for the blackberry browser. It did NOT work on my phone, but it's there if you want it.

Perhaps if we play with the platformid= at the end of the url we could find a better version??
    05-29-09 12:29 AM
    Nice....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

05-29-09 12:46 AM
    anyone tested ?
    05-29-09 12:57 AM
    I tested and its not working. This OTA file is a 'get update' query ONLY.
    05-29-09 01:09 AM
    I found that mobile.skype has over 30 beta versions all available for BB.
    Problem is I don't know which one is matching right device. People you need to test :
    http://mobiledownload.skype.com/getU...latformid=1821
    http://mobiledownload.skype.com/getU...latformid=1823
    basically up to
    http://mobiledownload.skype.com/getU...latformid=1870
    Some are missing - they are all different size and I've noticed the icon is different between versions.

Good luck
    05-29-09 01:37 AM
    Any luck?

Let us know
    05-29-09 09:29 AM
    I got the "beta" in the OP working on my Storm. Well, I got as far as signing into my account. I was about to try the test Skype call when I found out that this app doesn't make VoIP calls. It's what Skype calls a Lite client, which means calls are routed via your cell network. That means you'll be using your voice minutes. Of course, you'll also need a data connection for the app to connect to Skype's server. I'm sure this is Skype's concession to the mobile carriers so that revenue isn't lost as a result of customers using VoIP (instead of cellular) to make calls. You can read all about the details at Skype's mobile page.
    05-29-09 10:55 AM
    This is unsurprising. iSkoot worked the same way. I think this is for several reasons

- as you say, the carriers would not be best pleased to see their revenues limited to $20 data plans when all the calls became routed over the data plan. The result would be to put the price of data up enormously.

- it is doubtful that the Skype network could handle the entire cellular call load as would happen when every smartphone owner downloaded and used Skype instead of regular calling.

- if this happened, carriers would simply block Skype from working as some of them do with tethering unless you pay more.

I have used my laptop with Windows Skype whilst tethering via a BlackBerry and it works fine.
    05-29-09 11:26 AM
    I posted a small review and instructions on how to run it on your BB.

Florian's Blog: Skype Beta for BlackBerry
    05-29-09 01:04 PM
    Subscribing to this theme
    05-29-09 01:43 PM
    Will be great when it works...
    05-29-09 02:07 PM
    lame as ****. make it work VoIP
    05-29-09 04:18 PM
    I use skype as my regular phone, i.e. no landline... Its pretty good, but I see no reason to use it on a Blackberry if you are going to pay with your cell minutes. What's the point?

Terry
    05-29-09 05:29 PM
    does this mean we can add the skype number to our friends and family to get unlimited calling....
    05-29-09 06:14 PM
    I guess it's useful for calling international Skype contacts...?
    05-29-09 06:15 PM
    lame as ****. make it work VoIP
    exactly but this is the only way providers will allow it on there phones
    05-29-09 06:57 PM
    this carrier bs is absurd, tons of other phones can do voip why can't bb? they release bb with bis/bes plans anyway.

so it's high-cost bb plan no voip vs symbian/wm phones@low cost and voip

i might have to go back to wm phones with bb connect again...
    05-30-09 07:53 PM
    That is what I would like to know

does this mean we can add the skype number to our friends and family to get unlimited calling....
    06-04-09 12:29 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD