View Poll Results: How do you feel about skype for Verizon?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Angry

6 16.22%
  • Disappointed

12 32.43%
  • Heart Broken

2 5.41%
  • Don't Care

12 32.43%
  • None of the above (don't use skype)

5 13.51%
    A post to express some anger. I was roaming around the net one day and I notice that skype is developing an application for the blackberry. Little am I to know that this only fits CDMA blackberries that work with the Operator Verizon. I became infuriated with the fact that skype is becoming a bit like every other greedy company and not supporting an application for every blackberry especially the new BlackBerry Bold 9700.

How do you guys feel about skype and Verizon? Especially those of you not on Verizon.
    Last edited by alextop30; 05-13-10 at 12:32 AM.
    05-13-10 12:21 AM
    A post to express some anger. I was roaming around the net one day and I notice that skype is developing an application for the blackberry. Little am I to know that this only fits CDMA blackberries that work with the Operator Verizon. I became infuriated with the fact that skype is becoming a bit like every other greedy company and not supporting an application for every blackberry especially the new BlackBerry Bold 9700.

How do you guys feel about skype and Verizon? Especially those of you not on Verizon.
    RIMs api doesn't allow for true voip. To have true voip you need to be able to receive and transmit simultaneously, that can't be done. Even verizons skype is not true voip it gets routed through verizon rather than the wild web.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-10 01:01 AM

That's how business works. Exclusivity is not a new concept.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-10 01:52 AM
    RIMs api doesn't allow for true voip. To have true voip you need to be able to receive and transmit simultaneously, that can't be done.
    Really? SIP client for blackberry | VoipSwitch
    05-13-10 02:44 AM
    in addition, I believe it takes some dealing with the carriers either way to support skype's protocols over their network - it's not a simple issue of releasing the app, if they wanted to do it they way they did. to make it compatible on ANY bb, they'd have to use the iSkoot method of dialing local #s to make the skype calls rather than going over the data network. there was a big deal about doing this with AT&T and skype on iphone, as AT&T forbade it on their 3G network (although the restrictions may have changed recently).
    05-13-10 03:30 AM
    I'm upset because we use Skype for our Friday night gaming, and the only thing I want mobile support for is chat, as we pop into the chat off and on during the week. As a T*Mo user, I can't use a Skype mobile chat, but the iPhone and Droid users can. I tried IM+ Lite and it was horribly buggy. And we have been unable to find a group chat client like BBM that will work across iPhone, Droid, and BlackBerry phones..
    05-13-10 07:41 AM

YOu mean like Apple and AT&T with all these years of exclusive sales of the Iphone?

It's the way of the world my friend. Don't get too angry, you'll be angry everyday then...and hopefully you're more INFURIATED about real things like, 48,000 gallon a day oil spills thats been going on for a month, or poverty...save your anger for stuff that matters.
    05-13-10 07:54 AM
    I ticked "Disappointed" because Skype would be nice to have, but I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. As others have said, exclusive licensing agreements happen daily in the business world. Verizon is simply looking for a "leg up" over it's competitors.
    05-13-10 09:14 AM
    YOu mean like Apple and AT&T with all these years of exclusive sales of the Iphone?

It's the way of the world my friend. Don't get too angry, you'll be angry everyday then...and hopefully you're more INFURIATED about real things like, 48,000 gallon a day oil spills thats been going on for a month, or poverty...save your anger for stuff that matters.
    When I read this I loled. I got angry for about a second and it was fine but I still want to have my skype. I saw on crackberry web that there is a VOIP sdk being developed for the blackberry so I would have to guess that there is a possibility for it to work.
    05-13-10 12:02 PM
    Switch to Verizon already! I can't believe people still use AT&T!!
    05-13-10 03:45 PM
    license for VoIP providers, unlimited number of users - price $3500
    Ok, "Maybe" a programmer has cracked it. But that website provides very little info on this supposed software. And it also appears to be aimed at larger organizations, just like cellcrypt. What this looks like to me is the same solution tmobile and other carriers use for uma, rim has designed the OS/firmware/hardware to support it, but that doesnt mean that just any old joe or jane can code up a true voip client for BB.

Answer me this? If SIP was readily available for the blackberry then why didn't gizmo support it?

Heres my question to the masses. If you really really need VOIP/skype that badly, why in the Frack did you go and buy a BB. We have been waiting impatiently for skype app for years now, Skype BB was supposed to have been beta when I had my trusty 8820.
    If you need to call internationally, and your in the USA, use google voice. The per minute for international is extremely cheap.
    If that doesnt work for ya, go buy a skype phone from linksys or netgear, then skype away.
    05-13-10 06:57 PM
    Switch to Verizon already! I can't believe people still use AT&T!!
    People all over the world use GSM based carriers for one main reason, FREEDOM. Yes, now verizon/sprint and the lot have "opened" their networks, but what you can do now with them you could do for years on your own with gsm. Years ago I had a phone with ATT, it was a good one but on its last leg, before going on vacation I hit up bestbuy and paid 20$+tax for a prepaid phone to have as a backup in case the salt air killed my phone. Can you do that with CDMA? Didn't think so...
    05-13-10 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD