I got skype pushed on my phone yesterday and I don't know what it is. Can yall giv me an idea of what its for and why I would need it. Also it said something about charging me if I used it, what's that about?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-10 09:23 AM
    Find out here
    03-26-10 09:27 AM
    I tried installing Skype from the link sent to me by skype. Says my phone is not valid.

running 5.0.0.484. is there a work around?
    03-26-10 11:45 AM
    Lets see sype on the computer you can video chat, skype on the phone you just talk, so I dont see the need for skype on a berry, why not just call the persons phone?
    03-26-10 12:01 PM
    calls go over the data network so they don't count against your monthly allotment. also, you can call somebody over skype in another country for free if they're using skype, or for pennies on the dollar otherwise.
    03-26-10 12:17 PM
    Lets see sype on the computer you can video chat, skype on the phone you just talk, so I dont see the need for skype on a berry, why not just call the persons phone?
    if not on your computer, it is a great way to talk to other skype users for free
    03-26-10 12:40 PM
    I used my Tour's browser to try to download, but it also says that I don't have a valid phone. running .419.

any thoughts? Will Skype only work on an official OS?
    03-26-10 03:03 PM
    I used my Tour's browser to try to download, but it also says that I don't have a valid phone. running .419.

any thoughts? Will Skype only work on an official OS?
    appears so, will have to have my wife try and install
    03-26-10 03:25 PM
    Skype works great on my Tour running .548
    03-26-10 03:26 PM
    Skype works great on my Tour running .548
    how did you download it?
    03-26-10 04:09 PM
    Running .061 and tried installing, but rec'd 552 error, this app sucks............and I've never had a 552 error in the 6 months of using the Tour....PROCEED with CAUTION..
    03-26-10 06:04 PM
    Is skype free and is it only for Verizon users... I have a buddy in germany im not sure what network he is on...
    03-26-10 06:13 PM
    It appears that the Skype launch is anything but clear. I see credits being demanded in users' futures.

As I understand the program - you can use skype on the BB to contact other people using skype either on their computers or probably on their VERIZON BB's. So if you have friends in Europe (other) who use skype on their computers, you can converse with them. If you have friends in the US who use skype on their computers you can also converse with them. NO costs.

But if you use skype to call real phone numbers - landline or probably even other carrier's phone or even other verizon BB's as a phone number, you will be charged minutes. If you call real phone numbers overseas, it sounds as if you need a skype CREDIT account of some kind which will be debited for the call/minutes.

Some correct my mistakes!!!!
    03-26-10 06:34 PM
    It appears that the Skype launch is anything but clear. I see credits being demanded in users' futures.

As I understand the program - you can use skype on the BB to contact other people using skype either on their computers or probably on their VERIZON BB's. So if you have friends in Europe (other) who use skype on their computers, you can converse with them. If you have friends in the US who use skype on their computers you can also converse with them. NO costs.

But if you use skype to call real phone numbers - landline or probably even other carrier's phone or even other verizon BB's as a phone number, you will be charged minutes. If you call real phone numbers overseas, it sounds as if you need a skype CREDIT account of some kind which will be debited for the call/minutes.

Some correct my mistakes!!!!
    You've got it all right. This application will only be useful to those whose friends, family, coworkers, etc. also use Skype. Otherwise it's pretty pointless. Use Google Voice to get the free minutes!
    03-26-10 07:05 PM
    how did you download it?
    when it was pushed into my phone, all I did was download it by opening up the app on the phone
    03-26-10 07:35 PM
    You've got it all right. This application will only be useful to those whose friends, family, coworkers, etc. also use Skype. Otherwise it's pretty pointless. Use Google Voice to get the free minutes!
    I believe I have a Google Voice account (you can tell, I use this stuff once in a blue moon). But I have a very limited calling plan from Verizon - no friends/family/whatever plan so I don't know if I can use google voice for "free minutes"

I also believe I signed up for skype but can't find my account info and while I have a folder on my laptop, it is devoid of any signs of skype. I signed up for it on an out of town trip about 3 years ago. I guess I could just create a new account if I felt it was necessary.
    03-26-10 09:04 PM
    I believe I have a Google Voice account (you can tell, I use this stuff once in a blue moon). But I have a very limited calling plan from Verizon - no friends/family/whatever plan so I don't know if I can use google voice for "free minutes"

I also believe I signed up for skype but can't find my account info and while I have a folder on my laptop, it is devoid of any signs of skype. I signed up for it on an out of town trip about 3 years ago. I guess I could just create a new account if I felt it was necessary.
    Yeah unfortunately you need a plan with a certain amount of minutes to be eligible for Friends and Family, which is the only way to get truly free Google Voice on Verizon (I actually found this out last night). The requirements are the following:
    On Nationwide Family SharePlan� with 1400 Anytime Minutes or more or on Nationwide Single-Line Plan with 900 Anytime Minutes or more.
    Verizon Wireless

As for the Skype account, I'd just make a new one.
    03-26-10 09:29 PM
    I received the 552 error on my phone from using this app, and I am running the standard 4.7 OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-10 03:41 AM
    I'm running 5.0.230, just D/L'd Skype from the push VZW sent me. Seems to work OK so far...... I have friends in South Africa, good way to chat free. They have BB's, so we BBM lots too. Looks like some international traveling is going to be in my future, so this will be a good way to stay in touch with the wife for free! Just put Skype on her computer.
    03-27-10 08:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD