I am not all that new to blackberries but I have never messed around with international options before. My girl is over in London for the rest of the year and I was looking into a way to call and talk with her for cheap. I was wondering if skype is an option. Are there mobile apps for skype? Anyone have any input?

Thanks.
    08-30-09 09:27 AM
    eBay, the current owners of Skype, have promised us a Skype client, but have not delivered it yet.

iSkoot does offer a lite Skype client, it works fine for free international calling between Skype clients or at low cost using SkyupOut credits.

iSkoot for Skype (BlackBerry) - Free Mobile software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    08-30-09 09:32 AM
    As far as I know there isn't a Skype app for the BlackBerry. However, since this is the BB Tour section of the forums, I'm assuming you have a Tour in which case it wouldn't matter if there was a Skype app because the Tour doesn't have WiFi. WiFi is essential to Skype when using a mobile phone with it. You could download the PC or Mac version of skype on you computer and that would work but right now there is no Skype for BlackBerry.
    08-30-09 09:33 AM
    I am not all that new to blackberries but I have never messed around with international options before. My girl is over in London for the rest of the year and I was looking into a way to call and talk with her for cheap. I was wondering if skype is an option. Are there mobile apps for skype? Anyone have any input?

Thanks.
    Try google voice. They've got cheap int'l rates and a blackberry app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-09 10:21 AM
    The IM+ for Skype application allows you to use a non-wifi phone to call from Skype. The problem is that it is a double call, so you are getting charged twice. You need to use SkypeOut minutes when you call and your cellphone gets charged, too, because the application requires two calls. (Best to read the details on the app notes than for me to try to explain it.) I was very interested in the application when I won in the CB verndor contest a while back, but after reading reviews on it here and on the net, I came away with the conclusion that you're not saving any money with it if you are only calling domestically. Since you intend to call internationally, you may want to check out the program. It's about $30 in the CB App Store.

Alternatively, if both you and girlfriend are on Skype, then you can use Skype to call each other for free. She'd have to be around a computer, as would you, but the call would be free.
    08-30-09 10:46 AM
    Thanks for the input, I'm going to have to look into that google talk.
    08-30-09 05:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD