Does anyone know where you could get severe weather alerts for your area sent to your BB when they are issued?

Could not find anything like it on the NOAA website.

Getting to be 'that time of year' here.
    03-30-08 01:13 AM
    Check your local news website. I believe Fox 5 (Atlanta) offer something similar...
    03-30-08 02:21 AM
    I use this free service. They are pretty good about sending them the instant they are issued and your account is set according to your zip code. Just make sure that you select the Severe Weather Alerts option as I don't believe it is selected by default.

Emergency Email
    03-30-08 05:27 AM
    Wxboss - great link. Pushing warning info is about the only thing my favorite web weather source on mydesktop does not do...Weathertap. Do you use Weathertap for radar? They have services for mobiles that are great on a BB.
    Last edited by kch50428; 03-30-08 at 03:09 PM.
    03-30-08 06:15 AM
    Never heard of weathertap, but after checking out their site, it does look interesting.

Usually for radar, I'll just go to the weather underground mobile page which has a decent looping radar feature for mobiles.

The thing I like about Emergency Email, is that I can be notified of severe weather the moment my NWS issues it, and the information you get in their emails is the same information you would see scrolling along the bottom of your tv screen.
    03-30-08 07:51 AM
    Weather.com is The Weather Channel's site and if you enter your zip code, they'll send you a text alert whenever the National Weather Service issues one for your area.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-08 08:12 AM
    Weather.com is not as timely as I'd like - there's quite a bit of lag.
    03-30-08 08:35 AM
    I have Viigo configured to grab the rss feeds for warnings/watches/advisories for an entire state from noaa. Its kinda a pain to set it up but once done it works ok but it is semi cumbersome to use, but I am ok with it. You'll have to decide that. I've decided to put up with it because emergency email is only setup to work with the zip code you enter (I believe) so if your out and about and the weather looks like its going to get bad. I wanted something to get the "big picture" of whats going on. I have a weather radio at home that gives me the alerts when they occur when I'm there.

Go to NOAA's National Weather Service and on the left side bar at the top is a entry for rss feeds. Select that and wade through the information to find the entry for severe weather and that will get you to the listing for states. Select the state and look at the url and enter that into Viigo or whatever you are using for rss feeds. For Ohio the url for the rss feed is Ohio - Current Watches, Warnings and Advisories for Ohio Issued by the National Weather Service

So when I want to know what is going on at that moment in time I just update that channel and I get it all and I look through the various entries which are typically ordered by alert type and see if the county is listed. If nothing shows up I don't dig any further. If interested I pick the county of interest and open that via the browser and look through the country list again and use the links in the browser to put me at the spot I am interested in. Then I just leave the browser open on that page and refresh it when I want an update.

Its a bit cumbersome but it gets me consistently to the information I want to get when I am out and about. Not perfect but this does give you some additional possibilities. I live in tornado prone area and those things just pop up out of no where and anywhere so at least I can the information I am looking for fairly quickly.

At least this is another possibility that's free. Your tax dollars at work.
    03-30-08 10:02 AM
    I use WeatherBug on my PC's and my BB.

Thom
    03-30-08 12:04 PM
    As a new user (of the BB and these boards) I continue you be impressed with the quality and timeliness of the information provided when I ask a question.

Thank you SO much, everyone!

Greg
    03-30-08 12:33 PM
    I use this free service. They are pretty good about sending them the instant they are issued and your account is set according to your zip code. Just make sure that you select the Severe Weather Alerts option as I don't believe it is selected by default.

Emergency Email
    thank you for this site! i was looking on all the weather apps and sites on my bb and cound't find a weather alert! yay
    08-09-08 09:36 AM
    The free version of Weatherbug (sorry, I don't have a link) definitely provides alerts. I did not realize it did ALERT until I could not figure out why my phone kept blinking the red led. It was a severe storm warning. Weatherbug has a slew of specific alerts, wind, floor, storm, snow, etc....
    08-09-08 09:54 AM
    I had Emergency Email several years ago on a PC and forgot about the service...TNX for the reminder!
    08-09-08 10:30 AM
    The free version of Weatherbug (sorry, I don't have a link) definitely provides alerts. I did not realize it did ALERT until I could not figure out why my phone kept blinking the red led. It was a severe storm warning. Weatherbug has a slew of specific alerts, wind, floor, storm, snow, etc....
    that's good to know too! thanks!
    08-09-08 11:02 AM
    Check this thread...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/wea...nna-die-46326/

I get lota of alerts in this area and they seem pretty darn fast.
    08-09-08 12:56 PM
    Check this thread...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/wea...nna-die-46326/

I get lota of alerts in this area and they seem pretty darn fast.
    cool, thanks. i'm usually not a fan of weatherbug. but since weather eye does not have my town listed i am going to give weatherbug another try!
    08-09-08 01:12 PM
    Just found this:

inws.
    wrh.
    noaa.
    gov

(I can't post links, so that will have to do)

This is a government site that will send SMS or email to for any weather (and more) emergencies.
    03-26-09 03:34 PM
    if you want live weather to you blackberry look at wxmesg at Weather Message - Weather Alerting Software You just install the server on your desktop and let it run you can set it up to send a a email address . I think he a software for a blackberry how the porgram works it pulls a live data stream form noaa
    08-08-09 04:09 PM
    $45.00 wow..... I think most BB app's give enough info..... but 45 bucks not worth the money....
    08-08-09 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD