Anyone know of a way to change the default browser to opera mini? I checked in advanced options > browser but the only option is internet Browser. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-09 08:53 PM
    No you can't.

There is no way to do it. I would like the same thing but it's a no can do.
    09-14-09 09:06 PM
    Weak. Maybe when version five comes out.

09-14-09 09:08 PM
    Version 5 what? It's OS based and it's not written to change the default browser.
    09-14-09 09:13 PM
    Why give the option then.

09-14-09 09:14 PM
    Why give the option then.

What option?
    09-14-09 09:16 PM
    To change default browser if your not able to do it.

09-14-09 09:18 PM
    There is no option to change default browser.
    09-14-09 09:19 PM
    They might make it possible later down the road, who knows. I just know that you cannot change it from the native browser
    09-14-09 09:20 PM
    There is. Options > advanced options > browser.

09-14-09 09:20 PM
    You can't change it. It's only lists the internet browser.
    09-14-09 09:24 PM
    They might make it possible later down the road, who knows. I just know that you cannot change it from the native browser
    From what I have heard from SkyFire, you will be able to change the default browser. When 5 was mentioned before, they were talking about OperaMini 5 which may (or may not) be dropping in a few days Opera Web Browser | Faster & safer | Download the new Internet browsers free

Yes the option is there, but you cannot change it... yet
    09-14-09 09:27 PM
    If Opera is actually being released for the BB it might give that option. No other 3rd party browser can be set to default except for skyfire and that is still in Alpha testing.

Read this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/de...rowser-298088/

(Found it by searching )
    Last edited by amavit; 09-14-09 at 09:29 PM. Reason: grammar
    09-14-09 09:29 PM

That is to change the way the browser renders the pages, not to set a default browser.
    09-14-09 09:31 PM

Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

This doesn't mean you're really changing the default browser application. It's misleading in a way, but the default browser option is actually a means of how the phone renders or views certain websites.

For instance, even though we're in the 21st century, it's hard to believe but certain sites still can't be viewed in Firefox but only IE. The BB browser is kind of like that; It will let you view the site but some stuff may not work such as clicking an icon/button to go to a sub-page of the site, or visually, it will just have a different look to the site (i.e. where some images are far left or centered on a different browser).

Basically, the BB browser is still the default browser and that's how the OS is built. Opera Mini, Skyfire (if this ever drops), and others are just additional optional browser apps to choose to use.
    09-14-09 09:34 PM
    That is to change the way the browser renders the pages, not to set a default browser.
    No.... That option is within the browser its self. It says default browser configuration. Not browser identification.

09-14-09 09:35 PM
    Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

This doesn't mean you're really changing the default browser application. It's misleading in a way, but the default browser option is actually a means of how the phone renders or views certain websites.

For instance, even though we're in the 21st century, it's hard to believe but certain sites still can't be viewed in Firefox but only IE. The BB browser is kind of like that. It will let you view the site but some stuff may not work such as clicking an icon/button to go to a sub-page of the site, or visually, it will just have a different look to the site (i.e. where some images are far left or centered on a different browser).

Basically, the BB browser is still the default browser and that's how the OS is built. Opera Mini, Skyfire (if this ever drops), and others are just additional optional browser apps to choose to use.
    You are thinking of going to the browser and then bbbutton/ options/ browser configuration/ browser. That sets the identification, I believe this was added because of online banking that only allow IE or something stupid...
    09-14-09 09:36 PM
    No.... That option is within the browser its self. It says default browser configuration. Not browser identification.

It is the same thing.

YOU CAN NOT CHANGE THE DEFAULT BROWSER.

The OS does not allow for it.
    09-14-09 09:41 PM
    Options/Advanced/Browser would be where the setting would be. On some BBs that's where you set which of the multiple browsers it defaults too, carrier, RIM, Wifi. The Storm only has the RIM one, but the ATT Bold for example has all 3. Perhaps RIM could add the ability for 3rd Party Browsers to get on the list too. It's in the future.

EDIT: Trust PK he knows things. I'm no CX but I know a few things.

Also I'm moving this thread to 3rd Party Apps!
    09-14-09 09:42 PM
    It is the same thing.

YOU CAN NOT CHANGE THE DEFAULT BROWSER.

The OS does not allow for it.
    It is not the same thing. They are completely different in fact
    09-14-09 09:45 PM
    Thanks PK, that makes sense now. So is this "lock" RIM or carrier based?
    09-14-09 09:49 PM
    Thanks PK, that makes sense now. So is this "lock" RIM or carrier based?
    This is RIM based. Its a limitation on the device itself. But skyfire has apparently found a way to work around that, so its more of a setback then a limitation
    09-14-09 09:51 PM
    This is RIM based. Its a limitation on the device itself. But skyfire has apparently found a way to work around that, so its more of a setback then a limitation
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say its carrier based through the service books. When I check that setting I have 2. One of them is the RIM browser and the other is the T-Mobile (wap) browser. In other words I can set mine to either the native BB browser or the wap browser, but still no 3rd party browsers. Yet.
    EDIT: I meant to quote stormified, but it could apply to either of you.
    Last edited by wayfr; 09-14-09 at 10:32 PM.
    09-14-09 10:27 PM
    If you "Can't change the default browser" then why is it that since I installed Opera Mini 5, all links default open in Opera. I don't want that and can't seem to find a way to make my BB browser the default browser. Hmmm...

09-16-09 05:27 PM
    I wish that was possible but its not. I don't know if you noticed though, when you click a link it brings up an option to open it with opera mini, which is something I think is pretty cool.
    09-16-09 10:41 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD