Hello Crackberry,

In a few days I'm leaving for a caribbean cruise and while I am there I'm going to be signing up for the International Data Plan for my Tour. This will give me unlimited data but not txt messages. I will be billed around .25 for every message sent and received which adds up very quickly and is outrageous. Anyways I'm looking for a way to be able to send and receive text messages to my friends back in the states somehow using the data connection and not the sms connection.

I heard Google Voice and do this so I downloaded the app on my tour and tried the sms. It gives you a different number which is great because I can give this number out to the people that I want to text and they will be able to reach me. The problem all the text messages from google voice come in as regular text messages and you just reply back to the Google number and it sends your message under the Google Voice number. This isn't what I'm looking for because I dont want to be using the native sms app at all since replying to that google number though a regular sms will change me standard text messaging rates. Is there any way to be able to send and receive the messages as strictly data in the app rather than though regular sms?

I've tried the #@vtext.com and #@txt.att.com and that works somewhat but its not very reliable. Any solutions? Thanks in advance!

-Mike
    04-08-10 05:59 AM
    Have your friends/family just send a text message to your email address that's on your BB and reply that way.
    04-08-10 10:20 AM
    Hello Crackberry,

In a few days I'm leaving for a caribbean cruise and while I am there I'm going to be signing up for the International Data Plan for my Tour. This will give me unlimited data but not txt messages. I will be billed around .25 for every message sent and received which adds up very quickly and is outrageous. Anyways I'm looking for a way to be able to send and receive text messages to my friends back in the states somehow using the data connection and not the sms connection.

I heard Google Voice and do this so I downloaded the app on my tour and tried the sms. It gives you a different number which is great because I can give this number out to the people that I want to text and they will be able to reach me. The problem all the text messages from google voice come in as regular text messages and you just reply back to the Google number and it sends your message under the Google Voice number. This isn't what I'm looking for because I dont want to be using the native sms app at all since replying to that google number though a regular sms will change me standard text messaging rates. Is there any way to be able to send and receive the messages as strictly data in the app rather than though regular sms?

I've tried the #@vtext.com and #@txt.att.com and that works somewhat but its not very reliable. Any solutions? Thanks in advance!

-Mike
    Go to Google Voice on your desktop/laptop and click "Settings" on the top right. Then click the "Phones" tab. Whichever phone says "Mobile" after it, click on the "Edit" button. Uncheck the "Receive SMS on this phone (mobile phones only)" box and you're good to go.

You can then go to the "Voicemail & SMS" tab and check the box next to "Forward SMS messages to my email:" so you can get push notifications of SMS through e-mail, instead of waiting for Google Voice to pull them from the server. Hope this helps.
    04-08-10 12:39 PM
    Thank you so much. You helped me so much. I Google Voice works perfect now. The only question I have is this is messages sent and received are strictly data right? I wont be billed for any international text messages? Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it!
    04-08-10 06:19 PM
    Thank you so much. You helped me so much. I Google Voice works perfect now. The only question I have is this is messages sent and received are strictly data right? I wont be billed for any international text messages? Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it!
    Yup, since you are receiving and sending text messages via e-mail, only data is being used.
    04-08-10 07:01 PM
    Perfect! Thank you so much for your help! This will defiantly work for me. Your a life saver!
    04-08-10 08:01 PM
    Thanks for the Google Voice SMS directions! i'm trying to get rid of my data plan still! Just downloaded Google Voice to my phone again and i will test out the SMS forwarding to email feature. Awesome.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-10 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD