has anyone found a secure texting product? some things should remain private...
    03-03-10 04:18 PM
    there is a program called tiger text or something like that where the message self delete after you read them. I don't know if that's something your interesting in.
    03-03-10 04:19 PM
    came across that - but its not texting, requires a data plan and they charge you transactional fees...
    03-03-10 06:33 PM
    Is there much point to a secure texting app though? It's only as secure as whatever the person on the other side plans on doing with it...
    03-03-10 07:06 PM
    certainly! its not the other person i'm sending it to i'm concerned with - its someone taking things out of context or something i said coming back to haunt me years later. i've already read article on cnn and others that a divorce attorney or someone gains access to texts over 2 years later!
    03-03-10 07:29 PM
    It'd have to be a 2 sided encryption/decryption then though... That's kind of hard if both sides need to be running something, considering the other person could be running any platform though...

Otherwise you might as well just do something like PGP encryption and send the encrypted text and manually decrypt it on the other end after the fact. Problem is I'm pretty sure that's going to exceed the 160 char limits by far...
    Last edited by papped; 03-03-10 at 07:57 PM.
    03-03-10 07:55 PM
    certainly! its not the other person i'm sending it to i'm concerned with - its someone taking things out of context or something i said coming back to haunt me years later. i've already read article on cnn and others that a divorce attorney or someone gains access to texts over 2 years later!
    Well, there is nothing your BlackBerry or any application can do to stop your messages from being accessed at carrier level.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-10 08:36 PM
    Well, there is nothing your BlackBerry or any application can do to stop your messages from being accessed at carrier level.

Yeah basically, which is why you would have to send it (both sides) encrypted, which is highly problematic for sms for the reasons I mentioned above. It would be far easier with data like email, etc.
    03-03-10 08:52 PM
    yes i have found a app and its the best one there is. check it out. gomycell.com its secure text messaging and its only a one time fee for the life of the phone. its the best money that i have ever spent.
    03-03-10 09:06 PM

in fact you are wrong there is an app specifically designed to do exactly that. stop messages from being accessed by carriers and anybody else you dont want to see it. that app is called securecell and it is made by gomycell.com
    03-03-10 09:08 PM
    wow - that sounds like exactly what i need, plus i can be really chatty too as it support very long text messaging!
    03-04-10 09:55 AM
    sure - i'm using that product between myself and a few of friends over on verizon, sprint and att... having to clean up the cluttered inbox from time to time is annoying, but it does work. I've sent messages over 1000 characters fully encrypted. I sent gomycell.com a note about the inbox and other phones... they replied that android should be available in a month and on ATT there are a number of nokia and samsung phones operating now.
    The inbox reply was over my head - something about api access to it and that the android and windows mobile phones won't have that issue and hopefully RIM will open it up with the competition.
    03-04-10 10:04 AM
    in fact you are wrong there is an app specifically designed to do exactly that. stop messages from being accessed by carriers and anybody else you dont want to see it. that app is called securecell and it is made by gomycell.com
    Do both, the sender and receiver, need to purchase the application for it to work? That's the only way I could see it actually working.

Not to mention, they may say it's all encrypted, but has anyone actually verified with their carrier that they actually are? I'm not aware of any carrier that gives customer access to actual SMS content at a carrier level. When I worked for network support at my current employer, our network engineerers had access to SMS content, but they would only release the information to customers with a court supoena.
    Last edited by UrbanBounca; 03-04-10 at 10:48 AM.
    03-04-10 10:45 AM
    Do both, the sender and receiver, need to purchase the application for it to work? That's the only way I could see it actually working.
    Yeah I see no other way this could work... You would personally have to send the data as encrypted (which means you need to be running an app). They would have to receive the data and decrypt it (which means they need to be running an app), which brings back the multi-platform issue...
    03-04-10 12:28 PM
    That's correct - all sides need to have it, but for less the $30 its really cheap insurance. I actually got it free - gave 5 buddies my coupon code and gomycell pays me $5 each time someone uses it. I have actually made a couple dollars at this point - not that i'm going to quit my day job - lol.

With the inbox thing you can see the data is encrypted on the phone before its sent and then decrypted on the other side. Its kind of cool - when two ppl install the app they do a public key exchange 'pairing them'. Beside being cheap insurance so no one can get at the messages, the day to day benefit is being able to send and receive a true long text message. not this (1/5) (2/5) etc...coming out of sequence. it waits until all the chunks arrive and then pops up and says i have a message. open it and scroll through...
    03-04-10 03:52 PM
    thanks - we'll try it out this week and post an update!
    03-04-10 04:04 PM
    So lets think about that. Who is going to gain anything from your phone? If there's a knock at my door and its some dude with a warrant asking for my phone, sure no problem, let me get it for you, security wipe... Here you go..

But its better to not text anything that will get you in trouble now, or later.. And buying an app for your phone is useless cause the attorney can acquire the texts from the person you texted.

What a scam that is.. The facts. Anything you send has to go thru your carrier or whatever service/tower you are using... No ifs ands or buts. And after you put this on your phone, you then need to exchange your 'public key' with the people you text. And to be honest, just because its encrypted does not mean it cant be cracked.
    Last edited by dave3825us; 03-04-10 at 06:40 PM.
    03-04-10 06:12 PM
    What a scam that is.. The facts. Anything you send has to go thru your carrier or whatever service/tower you are using... No ifs ands or buts. And after you put this on your phone, you then need to exchange your 'public key' with the people you text. And to be honest, just because its encrypted does not mean it cant be cracked.
    ok you think it is a scam then try it out for yourself. and yes it has to go through the carrier but it is encrypted so the carrier can not decrypt it. it is almost impossible to crack it without the key because of it being such a high level of encryption. if you would like to try and decrypt it be my guest. hope you have plenty of time and money to complete the act.
    03-04-10 07:33 PM
    At least delete means delete - for what's stored on the carrier, no one has the money to chase a key that could have been altered from time to time...over 2 years and hundreds of computers for just one key makes a hack theoretical exercise... can't afford to chase a moving target:-)

why assume its illegal activity - banking, CPAs, or my sister is a physician as an example - its required by law to take precautions to protect private data and ppl love text.

Google and some reading...
    eprint.iacr.org/2010/006.pdf
    The following effort was involved. We spent half a year on 80 processors on polynomial selection. This was about 3% of the main task, the sieving, which was done on many hundreds of machines and took almost two years.

"Most of the time the available 896 GB RAM sufficed, but during a
    central part of the calculation more memory was needed (up to about 1 TB) and some swapping occurred."
    03-04-10 08:46 PM
    if both parties have BBs, then use blackberry messenger or AIM, YMSG, etc... phone apps just turn off history and you should be safe for communicating without data being stored.
    03-04-10 11:34 PM
    PGP or S/MIME would both be fine, solid solutions with no known weaknesses as long as you generate sufficiently large priviate keys and use the correct ciphers. The problem is nobody seems to know how to do this on BIS. Only the BES guys seem to be able to set it up.
    03-05-10 07:18 AM
    So lets think about that. Who is going to gain anything from your phone? If there's a knock at my door and its some dude with a warrant asking for my phone, sure no problem, let me get it for you, security wipe... Here you go..

But its better to not text anything that will get you in trouble now, or later.. And buying an app for your phone is useless cause the attorney can acquire the texts from the person you texted.
    What? We're not even talking about physical SMS messages stored on the handset. You can delete any and every message you'd like from your handset, but my point is it's still stored by the carrier, and accessible by anyone with authority.

ok you think it is a scam then try it out for yourself. and yes it has to go through the carrier but it is encrypted so the carrier can not decrypt it. it is almost impossible to crack it without the key because of it being such a high level of encryption. if you would like to try and decrypt it be my guest. hope you have plenty of time and money to complete the act.
    Do you have valid proof that it does infact work, though? They can sit back and tell you that it does, but when all is said and done, you don't have access to your messages at a carrier level to verify the program does work.

For the record, I'm not saying either way whether the application does work, but it's hard to truly say without having access to your messages at carrier level.

if both parties have BBs, then use blackberry messenger or AIM, YMSG, etc... phone apps just turn off history and you should be safe for communicating without data being stored.
    Those messages are still stored by the service, whether it be BlackBerry Messenger, Yahoo or AIM. They may not be stored on the device, but I'm almost positive they're stored at the service level.

---

When all is said and done, the safest way to verify you won't get caught doing anything illegal or questionable is not sending messages about it.
    03-05-10 08:39 AM
    Got it installed with a friend. You can clearly see what the carrier has access to as the text messages hit my regular inbox as well. My first message was simply 'hello' and my friend got the message and also two regular text messages of garbled text (the bb limitation jeepin described) of what looked like well over 200 characters of 'junk text'.
    we just got in the habit of clicking the current date and selecting delete previous to quickly clean out the regular inbox. a cool trick i read from another cb thread
    03-05-10 10:52 AM
    Do you have valid proof that it does infact work, though? They can sit back and tell you that it does, but when all is said and done, you don't have access to your messages at a carrier level to verify the program does work.
    and yes we have gone through all this testing to prove that it in fact does work the way it says it does. it removes the carrier completely by only allowing them to see a bunch of symbols and letters and boxes. if you are doubtful go and try it out for a week or two and then purchase it later if ya think it is truly what we say it is
    03-07-10 01:48 PM
    CellGuru - you work for them?
    03-08-10 01:11 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD