Just wondering what people's thoughts are on the two main different types of satnav apps available for the BB.

There's the streaming kind where the maps aren't stored on the device - you're chewing up your data downloading the maps as you drive and if you're out of cell coverage, you're screwed. Or if you're like me and you still make wrong turns even with the navi, you use up even more data.

Then there's the map aps that you buy such as those from Garmin or whoever, where you get all 4GB worth of North American maps and it doesn't use up your data while you drive along.

Are there any other pros/cons to each? Carriers don't normally lock out the GPS receiver, do they?
    09-22-10 12:05 PM
    Your fundamental assumption is incorrect. I am not aware of any nav apps for the BlackBerry that include all the North American maps on a card. Telenav, Verizon Navigator, Garmin Mobile, and BBMaps all download maps in real time as you move. There are two apps, TrekBuddy and Mobile GMaps, that are intended for use in areas without cell signals. They allow you to select and preload maps in advance, but they do not by default include the entire North American continent.

If you have a 9530 or newer, Verizon does not lock the GPS. Verizon does lock the GPS on 8330 and 8830 devices. Some other carriers do as well, but who does and who doesn't changes, so all you can really do is ask the carrier. You may or may not get the correct answer even then. Ultimately you have to try to use Google Maps or BBMaps and see for yourself.
    09-22-10 03:15 PM
    Guess I won't be using the Torch for navigation then
    09-22-10 06:40 PM
    Navigation without an unlimited data plan was an unrealistic expectation. TeleNave has a free trial. Try it. And of course BBMaps is free.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-10 06:55 PM
    I just think it's silly that the $90 apps don't provide all the map data and instead stream it via data.
    09-22-10 07:05 PM
    The benefit to you is current maps. You always have the most recent available maps, whenever you need them, and wherever you are, assuming you have a cell signal. The alternative is a mapset that is out of date as soon as you install it, because it had to be burned to disk or ROM months earlier.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-10 07:51 PM
    Once you buy Garmin mobile do you have to pay for map updates like you do with their vehicle models?
    09-22-10 08:18 PM
    Once you buy Garmin mobile do you have to pay for map updates like you do with their vehicle models?
    No. If you pay the one-time license fee, there is no monthly charge and no need to update maps. If you have unlimited data, the app is essentially free to use and the maps are always up to date.
    09-22-10 08:23 PM
    No. If you pay the one-time license fee, there is no monthly charge and no need to update maps. If you have unlimited data, the app is essentially free to use and the maps are always up to date.
    Thank you for answering my question Jeff, much appreciated.
    09-23-10 11:16 AM
    Mapquest recently rolled out MQ 4 Mobile - with a blackberry app.
    Portions of the map technology are from NAVTEQ

So far it seems OK:
    - free app
    - decent job of turn-by-turn NAV and traffic
    - integrates with Mapquest.com on PC/Web (i.e., you can setup preferences and history on PC, and mobile version can access these - e.g., frequently used addresses, etc)

Downsides so far:
    - cannot run other apps while MQ4M is running
    - does not seem to have the full NAVTEQ (paid) features: e.g., speed limit info, red light/speed camera locations, etc
    09-24-10 06:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD