RIM's Jim Balsillie says 'you don't need an app for the web,' rejects Apple's appification of the internet -- Engadget

Discuss.

I personally think he's right on the money. Ever since I moved to OS6 with the tabbed browser, my need for "apps" has fallen significantly. I just recently deleted the Twitter app and opted to use the mobile site. I'd delete Facebook too, if not for contact list integration.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Masahiro; 11-19-10 at 11:47 PM.
    gdasilva16 likes this.
    11-19-10 03:43 PM
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/19/rims-jim-balsillie-says-you-dont-need-an-app-for-the-web-re/

Discuss.

I personally think he's right on the money. Ever since I moved to OS6 with the tabbed browser, my need for "apps" has fallen significantly. I just recently deleted the Twitter app and opted to use the mobile site. I'd delete Facebook too, if not for contact list integration.

Repaired your link. And when he explained that, I could see exactly why they're not emphasizing 'Apps' for everything. Makes sense to me.

Last edited by BergerKing; 11-19-10 at 04:07 PM.
    Masahiro likes this.
    11-19-10 04:05 PM
    I don't know, I think there's something about an app specialized for a service, or function. Take tapatalk, for example. Its executed in a way optimal for a given phone. Navigation is seamless, and seems more personal. I don't have to constantly zoom in and out; wait for my phone to render pages; etc. Because of apps, I've seen my reliance on the browser going down. Another example is, Fox News. I have to hand it to their developers for the Android/iPhone versions of their app. It's well-formatted, and very personalized. Again, I don't have to worry too much about fiddling around stuff in page.
    11-19-10 04:06 PM
    Thanks for that article...

Thnx, �Tripster�

11-19-10 04:07 PM
    I don't know, I think there's something about an app specialized for a service, or function. Take tapatalk, for example. Its executed in a way optimal for a given phone. Navigation is seamless, and seems more personal. I don't have to constantly zoom in and out; wait for my phone to render pages; etc. Because of apps, I've seen my reliance on the browser going down. Another example is, Fox News. I have to hand it to their developers for the Android/iPhone versions of their app. It's well-formatted, and very personalized. Again, I don't have to worry too much about fiddling around stuff in page.
    They aren't saying apps are totally a thing of the past, just playing down the emphasis of needing an app for every little thing.

lssanjose likes this.
    11-19-10 04:09 PM
    They aren't saying apps are totally a thing of the past, just playing down the emphasis of needing an app for every little thing.

That makes more sense. I wouldn't want an app for every single web site. and, I think it wouldn't be widely adopted because of this.
    11-19-10 04:13 PM
    What the **** has Jim been smoking since 2008? Seriously..

Sounds more like sour grapes to me when it is a known fact that developers are flocking in droves towards iOS and Android putting the BB OS in 3rd or 4th priority.
    lssanjose and K Bear like this.
    11-19-10 04:14 PM
    OK - two thoughts that may seem contradictory...

1) I don't need to have a million apps. I function exceedingly well without the necessity of an app to help me brush my teeth, eat my bagel, walk....
    2) Jim sounds like an apologist answering Jobs' taunts. It's getting to a "that's what you are but what am I" kids' scuffle.

Worse yet, they're sounding like we do on some forum threads!!!!

11-19-10 04:16 PM
    What the **** has Jim been smoking since 2008? Seriously..

Sounds more like sour grapes to me when it is a known fact that developers are flocking in droves towards iOS and Android putting the BB OS in 3rd or 4th priority.
    Another good point, there.
    11-19-10 04:17 PM
    Well, with flash internet there's no real need for most game apps. That in itself basically eliminates probably 90% of the itunes app store.
    A lot of online sites though aren't well formatted for smaller phone screens - that's why I like apps for some things. But if your net is good enough and is formatted for your device, there really is no need for most apps. IMO.
    11-19-10 05:29 PM
    2) Jim sounds like an apologist answering Jobs' taunts. It's getting to a "that's what you are but what am I" kids' scuffle.
    To be honest, SJ's taunts about the number of apps for the iPhone is not accurate. I'm guessing that a minimum of 30% of the apps for the iOS are:
    • glorified hello worlds (remember iAm Rich?)
    • apps with merely 20 lines of code (hold the button)
    • duplicates, triplicats, multiplicates (such as fart apps)
    • applications that are merely a wrapper for a website
    • duplicates, triplicats, multiplicates

I wouldn't be surprised if these types of apps actually made up 75% of the app market

Because of RIM's business heritage (and their current SDE that's difficult to use), I am positive that the majority of the BlackBerry applications are useful.
    SCrid2000 and Terrellizme like this.
    11-19-10 05:31 PM
    Because there isn't more than 1 BB fart app right?

Second, flash games on the web surely dont replace the quality of game you get on an iphone. That's just silly talk.

Finally, the web can't replace quite a few types of apps, the web just can't do that. It sounds like downplaying apps so you don't expect RIM to just release good apps on the new OS. It's kind of sad if they have that powerful an OS and don't do anything with it.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    11-19-10 05:56 PM
    Well since they also left a few of there loyal customers out of the OS 6 party .. Yes we do need apps for the web and many more. !

11-19-10 06:05 PM
    If the web is the way to go, then why has RIM still not delivered a decent web experience to the majority of their user base? OS 6 and webkit is not widely available. Playbook is not available. Apple has had a great browser for going on couple years, google since it came out, RIM.......
    11-19-10 06:30 PM

Because of RIM's business heritage (and their current SDE that's difficult to use), I am positive that the majority of the BlackBerry applications are useful.
    Yeah, that Light Saber, Sexy Dice, multitude of BB fart apps are all business-centric

I suspect that by proportion there are many stupid and duplicate apps for
    the BB platform so can we put this stupid comparison to rest once and for all.
    11-19-10 07:56 PM
    Every platform has its pointless apps. I still can't get over the fact my friend, who has an X, has a beer drinking, and a shaving, app. BB has quickpull, and various themes for sale (examples).
    11-19-10 09:00 PM
    I don't give a flip about apps. That's my honest opinion.

11-19-10 09:14 PM
    I, and many others, will appreciate, and respect, such honesty. But for me, apps are about functionality. Yes, I do have some games; I, however, have maintained an app base concerning communication, navigation, and productivity.
    11-19-10 09:17 PM
    All the apps i have are for when its not practical to use a full web page on my Vibrant to do so, or they are gaming/specific purpose related like photobucket/youtube/pandora even though i can do all this in my web browser.

Jim is right and wrong. You dont need an app for the web, since nearly everything can be done on the web (except games...that dont suck), but on the flip side using the web is not ideal for everything.
    11-19-10 09:25 PM
    All the apps i have are for when its not practical to use a full web page on my Vibrant to do so, or they are gaming/specific purpose related like photobucket/youtube/pandora even though i can do all this in my web browser.

Jim is right and wrong. You dont need an app for the web, since nearly everything can be done on the web (except games...that dont suck), but on the flip side using the web is not ideal for everything.
    I think you've got the right idea here. It's not just about what platform has the best apps. He's simply saying you don't need an app for "everything", especially anything based on websites. I could download a nice NHL app to check scores, but whenever a game is not on, it just sits on my phone taking up space. I might as well just bookmark ESPN and use that whenever I need it.

Last edited by Masahiro; 11-19-10 at 10:23 PM.
    11-19-10 10:19 PM
    He's technically right but everyone seems to want apps for everything.
    11-20-10 12:08 AM
    This is a great example of how people never bother to find out what a person actually said and just go with whatever the headline states. Mr. Balsillie made it very clear that applications that leverage the power of mobile devices are very useful but applications that are just web portals really serve no purpose when devices can bring the full internet experience to the user.

Extra comedy comes from Apple fans who deride this idea when Steve Jobs was saying the same things during the launch of the iPhone.
    corymcnutt likes this.
    11-20-10 09:16 AM
    When reading this article @ face value he has a very valid point. WE do not need a 3rd party Browser application(s). But yet on the other hand he is talking about a device that has the possibilities and hardware to support a full web browser experience. Apple on the other hand does not. So they need a browser like Skyfire so they can view Flash based media. Without it Apple is missing a good chunk of the internet. So he has a point and is missing a point as well.

When you read deeper meanings of the article, he is spot on. IF the native manufacturer of the electronic device supplies the application as a member of the OS, there is no need for any 3rd party supplier to make a replacement item. It should be up the the current OS coder to include a sufficient program to meet the demands of the customer.
    11-20-10 09:31 AM
    Do you think RIMs marketing of Super Apps is effective? If not, how could it be made such?
    11-20-10 10:13 AM
    RIM's marketing of Super Apps can be more effective by actually marketing Super Apps and not mediocre apps being passed off as such.
    11-20-10 10:26 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD