View Poll Results: Do you accept RIM's APPology?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

40 80.00%
  • No

10 20.00%
    Do you accept RIM's $100 app-ology for the service interruption? Was this enough to appease you, do you not care about the apps?
    10-17-11 04:51 PM
    a pointless waste of money on RIM's part..

For anyone that this service outage caused MAJOR headaches (and i mean business crisis..not irritation at not checking your FB status) this is an irrelevant gesture...
    rdkempt likes this.
    10-17-11 05:13 PM
    a pointless waste of money on RIM's part..

For anyone that this service outage caused MAJOR headaches (and i mean business crisis..not irritation at not checking your FB status) this is an irrelevant gesture...
    Could not agree more - I think most would have preferred that money be spent on redundancy and fail-over network equipment to reduce the chances of this happening again... they trying to give BB users offline apps to use for when their service goes down again? What kind of message is this. lol.
    Last edited by rdkempt; 10-17-11 at 05:30 PM.
    10-17-11 05:28 PM
    I agree that the reparations are not related to the disruption in service that the outage caused. However, RIM stated that the measure they took was an attempt to offer a good will gesture for BIS users' 'patience' during the outage. It was a simple effort to offer some form of reparation that could be easily implemented to all users in a quick timeframe. Some users here were wondering about free service for a specified time period or a rebate, but those options would be complicated, costly and difficult to implement. The app solution was just easy for RIM to put into practice quickly. Will all BIS users be happy with it? Of course not. If you're not then don't download the apps. Personally, I felt RIM did what they could to rectify the problem quickly and they are now offering a good will gesture without requirement. So, relax and enjoy the free apps. Or not.
    10-17-11 05:44 PM
    Could not agree more - I think most would have preferred that money be spent on redundancy and fail-over network equipment to reduce the chances of this happening again... they trying to give BB users offline apps to use for when their service goes down again? What kind of message is this. lol.
    cast your mind back a year, when apple offered free bumpers because they got the aerial design of the iPhone4 slightly wrong (view ip4S redesign of affected components as admission of this) so its hardly out of sorts with the norm.

on a serious not though, BIS for most UK users costs �5 per month, which for the 4 days (really 3 tho) would equate to 65p in cost. yup, that $1, so if you think 100 times the cost as a `sorry gesture` is a bad thing, then im sorry but your gone in the head.

also lets not be naive here, RIM will of settled on a deal with the devs involved, but im sure whatever they spend on this doesnt mean they arent spending money elsewhere such as making the backup systems more robust.
    quik4life likes this.
    10-17-11 05:50 PM
    cast your mind back a year, when apple offered free bumpers because they got the aerial design of the iPhone4 slightly wrong (view ip4S redesign of affected components as admission of this) so its hardly out of sorts with the norm.
    Rumor has it the bumper fixed the issue though, these apps don't restore BB services when used (as far as I know anyways!).
    10-17-11 05:58 PM
    Sure, load em up RIM. Apology accepted. Having a PSN flashback. They gave me free stuff too. The amount of apps they are offering initially seems pretty damn good. PB apps as well. Granted I was only out a day on my BIS and a day with my BES (I'll take that free month of technical support thank you very much) so all of that plus a credit on my next bill from my carrier. I'm good.
    10-17-11 06:04 PM
    Rumor has it the bumper fixed the issue though, these apps don't restore BB services when used (as far as I know anyways!).
    no, the bumper didnt fix the issue. the bumper was a plaster (band aid for all you american types ). if the issue was fixed then people would be able to use phones without the need for aftermarket items.

and BB service has already been restored, hence `appology` rather than `fix`.

what i do wanna ask, is if $100 worth of apps isnt enough, what would be? and before ya hit reply, think seriously long and hard to if its a realistic proposition which RIM would be able to enact as easily and fairly for everyone as possible.

edit: also gotta ask, do ya even own a BB? simply taking `iphone4` from ya profile.
    Last edited by BBThemes; 10-17-11 at 06:16 PM.
    10-17-11 06:04 PM
    You're assuming the apps means they aren't doing anything to the servers and services, so the logic is flawed regardless...
    10-17-11 06:05 PM
    its a good step that they acknowledge the problem and offering some goodwill yes for some its not enough but for others it will b so it is subjective really
    10-17-11 07:31 PM
    RIM IS spending money on that stuff, and for BES users the Apps are the ticket it is the free service RIM is going to provide, or extend existing service contracts.

For me the Apps I would want, are not there, I would have liked RIM to give These apps for free or a $50 App world credit as I could spend $50 on apps I'd use for business.

Do I think this was a good move? NO, I think it was a poorly marketed idea with an attempt to distract from the issue.
    10-17-11 07:41 PM
    Didn't hurt me at all. Could still use my phone as a phone and text. If I didn't have the phone part I'd be a little bit more mad.
    10-17-11 08:22 PM
    RIM IS spending money on that stuff, and for BES users the Apps are the ticket it is the free service RIM is going to provide, or extend existing service contracts.

For me the Apps I would want, are not there, I would have liked RIM to give These apps for free or a $50 App world credit as I could spend $50 on apps I'd use for business.

Do I think this was a good move? NO, I think it was a poorly marketed idea with an attempt to distract from the issue.
    That's great, for you. RIM won't be spending $100 on the apps as they'll have agreements with the devs to pay a much lower price for them. Most people won't download all of the apps, and some won't get any at all so that mitigates things on RIM's part.

On my part there's a few apps there that I'm interested in and we'll see what other apps RIM adds to the list. Who knows, perhaps there will be an app you will like there by the time RIM is finished and this will become worthwhile for you.
    10-17-11 08:29 PM
    Didn't hurt me at all. Could still use my phone as a phone and text. If I didn't have the phone part I'd be a little bit more mad.

I agree, ya I really missed BBM

but I was without home internet on Sunday for 6 hours because of a wind storm, and those 6 hours felt WAAAYY longer than my RIM outage,
    10-17-11 08:29 PM
    Hey when was the last time your power company offered you anything for being without power for days? Cars fail, power goes out and sh*t happens. And rarely do we ever get anything for the hassle! At least it was decent of them to offer. If you are still offended don't download any free apps and keep bitchin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 08:31 PM
    That's great, for you. RIM won't be spending $100 on the apps as they'll have agreements with the devs to pay a much lower price for them. Most people won't download all of the apps, and some won't get any at all so that mitigates things on RIM's part.

On my part there's a few apps there that I'm interested in and we'll see what other apps RIM adds to the list. Who knows, perhaps there will be an app you will like there by the time RIM is finished and this will become worthwhile for you.
    Oh I very much suspect RIM will be paying less than $50 per user who takes advantage,

My Opinion as to how I would have liked to see this pay out was purely my opinion, and my reason for thinking this wasn't the best move for RIM, is they are not using this to attract any thing NEW to the Platform they are just patching a hole, they let people down, so they are trying to fix things with a reward, though the reward in itself does nothing to expand RIM.

a $50 App world credit for those that apply gives Developers a reason to jump on board the RIM development train, if RIM said they would be Giving a $50 App world Credit for November 1st, it gives some devs reluctant to make OS7 Ports push one out for the chance at a piece of the $50 action, for RIM, they are still only putting out $35 per user seeing as they retain 30% of app world sales anyway.

It is about turning a negative into a positive and not just trying to make a negative go away, that's the difference between a sale mind and an operations mind, unfortunately RIM thinks operationally never sales driven
    10-17-11 08:38 PM
    It would have been great if they let us pick and chose the apps we want that are $100 worth instead of picking for us

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 08:43 PM
    My BES service was only down on Wednesday morning and while it was, I just used Outlook Web Access on my PB bridged to my BB. Minor hiccup at worst for me and the BB still kept me connected.

I haven't seen the apps that are being offered yet, but if there's one or two that I find I like, then that's a good enough app-ology for me.

I would think there could be tax or other issues if they were to give App World credit and most of the other options involve the carrier and not just RIM, so I can see why they offered what they did. I was an early enlister for an internet radio site and one of the bonuses was 100 shares of their stock. Sounded like a simple gesture, its a penny stock type deal, maybe worth 16-20 bucks but it turned into a nightmare of paperwork, registrations and processing fees
    10-17-11 08:44 PM
    a $50 App world credit for those that apply gives Developers a reason to jump on board the RIM development train, if RIM said they would be Giving a $50 App world Credit for November 1st, it gives some devs reluctant to make OS7 Ports push one out for the chance at a piece of the $50 action, for RIM, they are still only putting out $35 per user seeing as they retain 30% of app world sales anyway.
    I understand your reasoning, but I highly doubt a $50 credit would push developers to support the platform if they were hesitant to already...

Technically you have an easy piece of the pie as is. A lot of devs are either just lazy to do it, or see no value (even if it exists. If they think it doesn't, then they won't bother). For example, if it was a $50 PB credit, I guarantee EA would eat a large majority of the users $50 because they bothered, while others did not. But this is true even without the $50 credit, which is the point...
    10-17-11 08:50 PM
    I understand your reasoning, but I highly doubt a $50 credit would push developers to support the platform if they were hesitant to already...

Technically you have an easy piece of the pie as is. A lot of devs are either just lazy to do it, or see no value (even if it exists. If they think it doesn't, then they won't bother). For example, if it was a $50 PB credit, I guarantee EA would eat a large majority of the users $50 because they bothered, while others did not. But this is true even without the $50 credit, which is the point...
    I don't think it would entice many NEW developers, but those with existing apps who have yet to Port them from OS6 to OS7 it could entice.

People are frivolous with free money, so having something NEW showing up and pushing it out when people have frivolous money gives a developer a shot at faster recoup of investment,

and even just getting a handful of developers looking at the free money is a handful more moving toward QNX development, plus you'd be coming out of DevCon which theoretically will have devs Fired up.
    10-17-11 08:57 PM
    rather the money be spent on preventing the problem from happening again than giving away free apps. Have little space on my phone as it is.
    10-17-11 08:57 PM
    I wish Time Warner Cable would offer something when their service goes out!

Rim you're ok with me!
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-17-11 08:58 PM
    I think it's awesome that they are giving away 100 bucks in free apps. Hopefully all the great ones are compatible with os7
    10-17-11 08:59 PM
    rather the money be spent on preventing the problem from happening again than giving away free apps. Have little space on my phone as it is.
    One thing is not the other. Dunno how many times it has to be said...
    10-17-11 09:03 PM
    One thing is not the other. Dunno how many times it has to be said...
    100 more give or take just in this thread
    10-17-11 09:11 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD