Just saw an article where Rim just took an additional 10% fro all current and future app builders. I guess that means they take 30% of the top of all app builders. Apple does the same but they are a much easier platform to build for and that is a kick in the *** for all potential new app builders. Why build for the blackberry platform when they can build for an easier platform and sell many more apps. Rim needs more great apps, this isn't going to help at all.
    05-04-10 02:55 PM
    Yeah I agree. They're really shooting themselves in the foot with this one.

Now that they are competing for developers along with Android and iPhone, RIM needs to make the policies more favorable. This is just going to drive people away.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-10 03:11 PM
    I guess just have no desire to make headway in the consumer market
    Last edited by Totalimmortal363; 05-05-10 at 10:02 AM.
    05-04-10 03:18 PM
    Just saw an article where Rim just took an additional 10% fro all current and future app builders. I guess that means they take 30% of the top of all app builders. Apple does the same but they are a much easier platform to build for and that is a kick in the *** for all potential new app builders. Why build for the blackberry platform when they can build for an easier platform and sell many more apps. Rim needs more great apps, this isn't going to help at all.
    Not sure which article you read (was posted on CB a couple weeks ago), but they may have left some info out. In addition to that, AW is going to introduce carrier billing and credit card billing. This opens up some potential huge markets that werent there before. As a developer Im ok with that. Ive spoken with other devs as well a for the most part they are in agreement.

What I do have an issue with AW is that they charge $20 to update/post an app. That is the reason my free apps are not listed in AW but in Mobihand. Im not paying them $20 to post a free app and then another $20 each time I post an update.
    05-04-10 03:37 PM
    What I do have an issue with AW is that they charge $20 to update/post an app. That is the reason my free apps are not listed in AW but in Mobihand. Im not paying them $20 to post a free app and then another $20 each time I post an update.
    Stupidest thing I've ever heard. But then again, it's RIM.

05-04-10 11:34 PM
    In a sense it's a good thing, because it prevents the millions of mindless apps that make your phone fart or something from popping up.
    05-04-10 11:41 PM
    In a sense it's a good thing, because it prevents the millions of mindless apps that make your phone fart or something from popping up.
    Mobihand does not charge to post free (or paid) apps, yet that problem doesn't exist there. RIM should be trying to grow their app catalog on AW right now. Not trying to deter developers from posting their stuff there.

05-04-10 11:54 PM
    No it's not. 30% cut off the top of each sale of the app and $20 for posting and updating.... It's no wonder Blackberry apps are more expensive. In the end you get an overpriced app that looks like crap because of the limited OS it runs on, but it's OK because it's a "Super App" that can tie into different APIs to do stuff on the phone, which apparently RIM thinks no other platform can do that. What's even more amazing is that they're actually selling this BS to people and they buy it like lemmings. Double

05-04-10 11:56 PM
    So Blackberry is essentially going to increase the cost of their already overprices apps (same apps in comparison with iPhone and Android versions) and make it less appealing to develop new apps (as if the 128 MB device memory wasn't a limitation enough).

Will Blackberry ever see more than 4,000 apps (1/10th of Android)? Not if they keep jacking the costs.

Seems like a sound business decision to me.
    05-05-10 02:52 PM
    If this article is accurate, all the work and hype behind OS 6 will be for nothing. For RIM to be successful in the mobile market of tomorrow, it has to allow for some method where users can utilize app software openly on their devices. Like iphone, like Android.
    05-05-10 03:00 PM
    bad move RIM.
    maybe if you take less. we will have prices closer to apples app store.
    and we all see how well thats doing.
    05-05-10 03:48 PM
    For RIM to be successful in the mobile market of tomorrow, it has to allow for some method where users can utilize app software openly on their devices. Like iphone, like Android.
    Could you please elaborate? What you mean openly like the iphone?
    05-05-10 03:49 PM
    With the android market expanding each day and gaining more and more users, this is a bad time for RIM to jack up the prices. :/
    05-05-10 03:53 PM
    RIMs "Super App" Concept is the biggest load of BS I've heard in a while.
    05-05-10 04:35 PM
    But people will buy it because they lack intelligence.
    05-05-10 06:16 PM
    I quite agree with that. Which reminds me of another point I had, myself and some other developers were looking over the "Super App Challenge" RIM introduced at WES.

This is from their site describing a "Super App"

BlackBerry smartphone email, instant messaging and BlackBerry� Messenger are great examples of Super Apps that demonstrate many of the characteristics above.

Facebook� for BlackBerry� smartphones and MySpace� for BlackBerry� smartphones also demonstrate what’s possible with alerting, native app integration, social connectivity and more.
    Wait, what? So you're using examples of apps developed by RIM in house with programmers who know the OS better than anyone and have access to unreleased APIs and information. Great.

That also brings me to another point that I didnt mention earlier. In my opinion RIM does not care about independent developers. By independent developers I mean people like myself who work by themselves to create apps and are not part of a major company. Now to back it up...

First, the $20 to post/update an app fee, even for free apps. While this may not be a big deal to a company like EA who posts games on AW, it is to me. A perfect example is another developer (I wont mention his name but he's free to post here) has about 20 applications on AW that are all based on the same premise so they share some common code. He recently discovered a small bug, which was caused by a bug in certain OSs released officially by some carriers. So from no fault of his own he now has to update his applications and pay $20 each to update. That is $400 out of his own pocket.

Second, support. AW is full of bugs, many frustrating the customer purchasing the app, whether it be try & buy not working, old versions being downloading to the customer, apps not showing as being purchased etc... RIM is supposed to handle these support requests for the customer, and by now many of these issues should have been resolved. But beyond that many of these support requests fall upon the developer to resolve. So for an app that I might make $2.50 profit on, I may spend 30 minutes of my time just getting the customer the app they paid for.

Third, leaving the small devs/non "alliance" members last/out of the loop. This one is going to be a little hard to describe, but Ill use an example of something that I recently came across while working on a new app. There are many primary APIs that you would think RIM would open up to developers, simple things that just can't be done. The example Im referring to here is with the keyboard backlight control. Just like bedside mode or the build in media player does, turns off the keyboard lights. Guess what, with the public API we can't do that. But heres the interesting part Garmin Mobile for the BB does it. So why for something so basic does RIM not make this public and selectively choose who its available to?

I could go on and on, but I'll leave my rant at that for now But to conclude, have a look in the Mobihand/CB app store, youll find the overwhelming majority of app are by independent developers. RIM should be embracing us not pushing us away. Guess what (I actually just found out this morning talking to him), one of the devs of one of the top selling BB apps both here and on AW just switched to the Incredible. What does that say?
    05-05-10 06:20 PM
    ]RIM should be embracing us not pushing us away. Guess what (I actually just found out this morning talking to him), one of the devs of one of the top selling BB apps both here and on AW just switched to the Incredible. What does that say?
    That says that RIM needs to get their **** together. The prices you guys have to pay, the time and effort you have to put in, and the lack of support from RIM with keeping AW completely useable is just unacceptable.
    05-05-10 06:32 PM
    I don't buy it without proof. If it were true why isn't there an article?
    05-05-10 08:19 PM
    I don't buy it without proof. If it were true why isn't there an article?
    Dont buy what?
    05-05-10 08:20 PM
    That's y I said about a week ago,hate to say it but I'm so disappointed n RIM-i c all these great phones comein out and I'm like all we have is a stupid lookin slider that's looks like crap-how is a slider that's pushin 6.0 pose to compete with 4G 4.3screen and all the other great stuff this phone has-i said I'm gone and somebody said somerthing like once u go blk u never go back-well what that person didn't no wa we r talkin about phones,not people,I stil say I'm gone to eather HTC EVO-or wait 4 contract to emd and go iphne 4G-holla :-)

05-05-10 08:53 PM
    Shao128, don't hate on the RIM Super Apps... after all, the best example of a RIM Super App is the native Phone App which CAN'T even add someone's number from the Call Log to anything else other then the "Work" field in Contacts. lol

I think I might make some bumper stickers that say "My Super App does less then your Regular App..."
    05-05-10 09:11 PM
    I just want a super facebook app!

05-06-10 08:38 AM

In my opinion RIM does not care about independent developers.
    05-06-10 09:04 AM
    LOL. JRSCCivic98, Imma let you finish but.... [Message Truncated]
    05-06-10 09:13 AM
    Hahah great picture. Oh Kanye.
    05-06-10 12:34 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD