Apparently this is solely an OS specific problem as it seems that the only BB OS that currently supports multitasking with media player when using moodio.fm (ie, sound playing in the background while you do other things on the phone) is OS 4.3

It appears that OS 4.5 has gone backwards in terms of background play/multitasking in media player.

Here is Oleo (moodio) response....
    Hi Scott,

To be honest i really don't know anything about BlackBerries. In fact i have never even touched one. Moodio just converts an audio stream to a 3GPP stream, which is a standard for streaming media on mobile phones.

Apparently the BB software does not support multitasking while playing a stream. I guess the only thing you can do is ask RIM to fix this in upcoming OS releases..

- Sander (Oele)
    10-13-08 10:56 AM
    I have found that the 4.5 mediaplayer actually can play files in the background, apparently it just cannot play live 3GPP streams in the background.

For example, I was able to open a ringtone file and set it for repeat. While it is playing on loop, I'm able to navigate away from the mediaplayer and surf and do other tasks on the phone, all the while the sound loop keeps playing.

So, right now i have more questions than answers. Can anyone help us understand what is the limiting factor here that is not allowing a moodio.fm sound stream to play in the background using OS 4.5 mediaplayer?
    10-13-08 11:03 AM
    Yeah, what gives here?

And what is with the phone ringing sound when you start a stream on moodio?
    10-16-08 10:24 AM
    It's because the streamed 3GPP is actually reserved for video by default. So, the phone thinks you're watching a video. Why do you think the backlight goes full bright and the keyboard dims if you have it set to do this in Media Player?
    10-16-08 11:12 AM
    It's because the streamed 3GPP is actually reserved for video by default. So, the phone thinks you're watching a video. Why do you think the backlight goes full bright and the keyboard dims if you have it set to do this in Media Player?
    OK, thanks for the info. Can you offer anything else regarding a workaround or perhaps some insight into how easily this might be resolved (if at all) in a future OS release?

Also, can you comment on why 4.3 does not exhibit similar behavior as you describe? 4.3 appears to be able to play the 3GPP stream in the background with media player....
    10-16-08 02:25 PM
    4.3 could not stream video however.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-08 02:30 PM
    4.3 could not stream video however.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yes it could. The Curve could play YouTube just fine, but not once do I remember being able to play a YouTube video in the background...
    10-16-08 10:43 PM
    I was using moodio.fm without any problem for several weeks. Suddenly, as of two days ago, all of the streams went silent. When my media player opens up, nothing happens.

I followed this guy's suggestion (found it on the moodio forums), but it didn't fix the issue.

I just got it working again! Try hitting the menu key and select "set encoding". Deselect "auto mode" then click ok. Close media player. Click on one of your stations. Media Player opens. Hit the menu key and select "set encoding" again. Select "auto mode" and click ok. Hit menu key and selct "replay. Wait for about 10-20 seconds then it should play. Basically you are resetting the encoding process. It worked for me. I hope this works for you. Good luck!
    Are you guys actually still able to stream via moodio.fm???

Thanks.
    10-19-08 11:20 PM

Are you guys actually still able to stream via moodio.fm???

Thanks.
    Yes, I'm streaming right now!

OS 4.5.0.77
    BB 8830 WE
    verizon

*Cannot stream moodio or youtube in background. Someone please come up with a workaround!
    10-21-08 10:39 AM

And what is with the phone ringing sound when you start a stream on moodio?
    can't help with the straming questions. i'm VZW 4.3 and it works fine here.

but the ringing tone when connecting: http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/mood...-repeat-64288/
    10-21-08 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD