For a while I've been looking for an app that would allow me to block certain service books; namely AT&T's spam. I've just checked and the API has the ServiceBook package described. I've got lots of experience with java, but none with J2ME or Blackberry's gui, so I think I'd be able to help, but probably not program this entirely on my own.

I imagine that the user could be presented with a list of current service books with checkboxes next to each. The user can select which service books he/she wants to block and the program will delete it. However, when a service book is deleted, it eventually gets pushed back to the device, so what this app would have to do is poll the device once a day or so and see if the service book is there. If so, it would just have to delete it again unless the API has a way to notify programs when new service books arrive. I imagine this app would probably have to run in the background, but only making calls once a day would probably not put much drain on the battery.

I'd love to be involved in the development of this program, and ideally would love to see this as a free app, but I believe you have to have an API key to run apps on startup (an ideal function) which costs money, so I guess it would have to be made up.

Is there much demand for this type of app? Anyone else interested? Anyone willing to help create it?
    08-05-09 08:16 AM
    Great idea. I could permanently remove service books such as Google Talk, voice dialing and yahoo! That would be an excellent app if possible.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-09 08:46 AM
    It would probably need to poll more often than once a day unless you have it poll an hour or so after it reboots.

But why would you want apps that come and go so much? Why not just hide the apps to begin with and then they don't appear again (unless you change the theme)? Then you don't have issues with apps that appear shortly after a reboot and then go away again a couple of hours later.

(honest question)
    08-05-09 09:12 AM
    It would probably need to poll more often than once a day unless you have it poll an hour or so after it reboots.
    It's my understanding that the service books are sent too sporadically to count on, but roughly once every one to two days if you don't reboot. Assuming it checks shortly after boot, it shouldn't need to check more often than once a day.

But why would you want apps that come and go so much? Why not just hide the apps to begin with and then they don't appear again (unless you change the theme)? Then you don't have issues with apps that appear shortly after a reboot and then go away again a couple of hours later.

(honest question)
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you mean it shouldn't be running constantly, then that has to do what what I said above. I believe that the service books are sent roughly once every couple days even if you don't reboot/change themes. But I could be wrong about this. And even so, if the service books are sent when a theme is changed, you'd have to have the program running to know that it was changed. If it turns out that the service books are only sent upon a reboot, then it would only have to run once for half an hour or so after it boots, but I'm pretty sure they're sent throughout the phone's uptime as well.
    08-05-09 10:48 AM
    :'( So I decided tonight that I'd do my first BB app and got probably halfway through this program when I realized that there is no way to delete service books in the API.

-sigh-

If anyone out there can tell me I'm wrong, I'll get back to work and churn out a potentially great app, otherwise, I think I'll let this one go... :-(
    08-15-09 04:25 AM
    I personally find it bothersome that the carrier can install this (and possibly) other crap on phones as they please, even when the phone is on a BES plan :s
    08-16-09 03:27 AM
    I'd love an app like this, if nothing else so I can have more control over the device. Something like, I want only THESE BOOKS on my device, and anything else can just... well.. I think you get the idea.
    08-16-09 04:08 AM
    is that few people know what they all do.

IT Policy - Browser policy group - Allow application download services IT policy

This rule specifies whether application download service icons appear on a BlackBerry� device when the wireless service provider
    assigns a service to a BlackBerry device and the appropriate service books are present on the BlackBerry device.
    Default value
    The default value is True.
    Usage
    Change this rule to False to hide all application download service icons.
    09-01-09 10:44 AM
    Yeah, but IT policies are only for BES (I believe). I've got BIS, and I imagine that most people who are interested in this do too. I would imagine that most people on a BES aren't able to install 3rd party apps without permission.
    09-03-09 03:00 PM
    I requested an app like this a few months back with no takers. I really wish someone would tackle it, I'd find it extremely useful and would be willing to pay a reasonable price for it.
    09-04-09 05:49 PM
    It bothers me too and obviously takes up space. But, if you hide the icons for the app downloads, they won't show again even when they are resent. I know most people already know this but some don't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-09 05:56 PM
    One I have problems with is a browser service book that makes my browser open a certain page when I run the browser. If I delete it after booting the device it opens at the go to page which is the behavior I want.

forkup
    09-05-09 03:36 PM
    I requested an app like this a few months back with no takers. I really wish someone would tackle it, I'd find it extremely useful and would be willing to pay a reasonable price for it.
    The problem's not that no one wants to tackle it, it's that there is no way to do this. The BlackBerry API provides ways to look at the service books that are registered on a device but you cannot modify, disable, or remove them.
    09-05-09 06:25 PM
    But, if you hide the icons for the app downloads, they won't show again even when they are resent.
    Unless you use a new theme, then you have to hide them all over again for that theme. I don't know about you but I try new themes all the time, and am sick of seeing those icons show up the first time I use a new one (and the second and third when I get sick of hiding them). It's inconvenient, but the point is it's spam you're forced to accept and there's just something abusive about that. Eventually you will get sick of hiding icons and just sit back and ignore them - but that's not a good solution.
    01-29-10 11:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD