1. deletedaccountkimbercutes824's Avatar
    The issue that I am having is that I have wiped and put 5.0 back on due to performance issues before I had wiped it I had the You mail app. I didnt like it so I uninstalled it and deleted it. But it was still enabled. But even after a wipe and adding everything back its still turned on.

I went ahead and found the file and edited it in notepad changed true to false and plugged it to DM and when I look at the apps to add/remove its NOT in the list!!!

I will try a battery pull just in case. But my BB 9000 has been rebooted many times tonight due put .509 back on. HELP!!
    04-06-10 03:35 AM
  2. deletedaccountkimbercutes824's Avatar
    Yeah still not working for me!! HELP!!!!!

EDIT: got it to work!!
    Last edited by kimbercutes824; 04-06-10 at 11:15 PM.
    04-06-10 01:40 PM
    Didn't work for when I used BBSAK 1.7 nor when I edited the correct file. I'm using a hybrid of .591. I tried Shrink OS again and it seems to have finally worked -- visual voicemail is removed. (I also manually removed the cods from the Java folder of the OS folder.)
    Last edited by Ashyford; 04-11-10 at 06:46 PM. Reason: New Status
    04-11-10 06:19 PM
    It's hard to get Visual Voice Mail to work properly with AT&T service. If you're simply not interested in EVER having it, you can do as a few recent posts have said, and go through the rigamalrole of removing it through a behind-the-scenes procedure such as outline above. Beware that it will re-install itself the next time you let the Desktop Manager upgrade your BB software.

However, AT&T subscribers who also might be interested in having it, but you're thinking of deleting it simply because you just can't get it to work, take heart! If you get in contact with AT&T you can get them to "re-provision" it. I tried to do this on-line, and I tried to do it by phone, but what I found was that the only real way to make it "re-provision" properly was to get administrator privileges to the hardware and the priorities that the SIM card has on it.

AT&T probably won't let you have that type of access, so, if you can, then you should just drive in to a "real" AT&T-mobile store and have one of the people there go through the re-provisioning for you. Usually there's someone who works at one of these places who's really "into" the software and functionality of AT&T's customer-service options. If you're near the store at Lakeside Mall in New Orleans, her name is Annabelle. Get her to re-provision your VVM for you and it will work fine.

It isn't actually VISUAL voice-mail, BTW. It's just, a visual INTERFACE for your VERBAL voice-mail. In other words, with it you can play your voice-mails in a little media-player that looks like an MP3-player, but when you delete the file it gets eliminated from your AT&T voice-mail server in the sky.

If you're lucky, deleting the file also deletes the notification icon ... :P
    04-27-10 12:07 PM
    Rats... I deleted the six vvm modules using the Master Control Program, and now my Bold 9700 does not survive the reboot (It stalls after the progress bar completes). What now? Am I nuked?

Update... I tried the boot again and waited a lonnnnng time, finally came up, seems ok.
    yeah, im in the process of waiting.. its been like 5 mins. Will all reboots take this long? before removing the file, the phone would reboot in 1-2 mins.
    05-20-10 05:44 PM
  6. deletedaccountkimbercutes824's Avatar
    I am now running .681 and this method is not working. After I change required to false and I load app loader its not in the list of applications. But when I look at the applications on the phone it says that visual VM is apart of the core.
    05-29-10 12:41 PM
    unplug BB

1) Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\ and find the file 'net_rim_bb_vmm'.

2) Use notepad to edit net_rim_bb_vmm. Find and change "required" from true to false. This will allow vmm to be uncheck and unselected instead of forced in the install or upgrade process.

3) Save the file - VISTA USERS PLEASE NOTE: If you have trouble saving the file from notepad, save it to the desktop and then manually move it to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\

4) Start Desktop manager

5) Connect Bold

6) Go to Apploader - use Add/Remove Programs

7) uncheck the Visual Voice Mail box

8) proceed with updating
    Worked great on my BB9000. Now that i'm done with VVM, how about the dreaded BBM ? I'm thinking that i'll have to go into the Java files, but i hope not. Thanks for the help.
    05-29-10 02:47 PM
    Worked great on my BB9000. Now that i'm done with VVM, how about the dreaded BBM ? I'm thinking that i'll have to go into the Java files, but i hope not. Thanks for the help.
    Blackberry Messenger has 12 modules in the Java file. If i find and delete them, wipe the phone, and re-install the OS, will that get rid of BBM, or is there another way ? Need some real techy help here
    05-29-10 03:32 PM
  9. deletedaccountkimbercutes824's Avatar

You have to go to app world and download BBM again click yes when it asked you to replace the current version. Then let it install reboot and then go back into applications and when you click BBM it will say delete. Thats all you have to do. I just did that and it worked today but I still cant get VVM to work.
    05-29-10 04:27 PM
    You have to go to app world and download BBM again click yes when it asked you to replace the current version. Then let it install reboot and then go back into applications and when you click BBM it will say delete. Thats all you have to do. I just did that and it worked today but I still cant get VVM to work.
    Thank you. That BBM was sucking memory like (i'm not going to say it). As for VVM, i just followed Teek's guidelines, and it worked like a charm. I'm going to run a back-up now, so when the next OS comes out, i won't have to deal with VVM or BBM again. My memory has jumped up to 42.2, from about 31.5. Thanks again for your help
    05-29-10 05:18 PM
  11. deletedaccountkimbercutes824's Avatar
    Thank you. That BBM was sucking memory like (i'm not going to say it). As for VVM, i just followed Teek's guidelines, and it worked like a charm. I'm going to run a back-up now, so when the next OS comes out, i won't have to deal with VVM or BBM again. My memory has jumped up to 42.2, from about 31.5. Thanks again for your help
    You're Welcome! I will try the VVM again. I have done it before and its worked fine. I have no idea why its not working.
    05-29-10 05:29 PM
  12. deletedaccountkimbercutes824's Avatar
    I made sure I changed the both required's to false and when I load the app. loader VVM is not in the list at at all.

Any advice?

EDIT I uninstalled and reinstalled the OS on my PC and now VVM is gone and not on my phone after I changed required to false. So everything should be good.
    Last edited by kimbercutes824; 05-31-10 at 11:12 AM.
    05-29-10 10:50 PM
    unplug BB

1) Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\ and find the file 'net_rim_bb_vmm'.

2) Use notepad to edit net_rim_bb_vmm. Find and change "required" from true to false. This will allow vmm to be uncheck and unselected instead of forced in the install or upgrade process.

3) Save the file - VISTA USERS PLEASE NOTE: If you have trouble saving the file from notepad, save it to the desktop and then manually move it to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\

4) Start Desktop manager

5) Connect Bold

6) Go to Apploader - use Add/Remove Programs

7) uncheck the Visual Voice Mail box

8) proceed with updating

I tried this and didn't work... It never would show up.... Any other idea's?
    05-30-10 06:50 PM
    I know this is a really old thread but I also found it using the search feature but what I was really looking for was a way to remove blackberry messenger and remove visual voice mail. I followed the instructions and also applied them to the bbm file. Although it was located in the same place but in the "BlackBerry.alx" file.

once you open the files in notepad it can be a little hard to find the line you are looking for so I just press "ctrl f" and search for "required" it will pop right up, change the true to false and then open desktop manager.

I wasn't sure if I had to reload the whole thing or not so I went to the app loader thing and it found everything I changed only now I could unselect them instead of them being grayed out. My phone rebooted and they are all gone now!

Thanks for the great heads up on this everyone!

Chad
    07-09-10 08:22 PM
    I'm using Desktop Manager Version 5.0.1, and it won't let me remove VVM...What are my other options?
    07-10-10 11:35 AM
    "I'm using Desktop Manager Version 5.0.1, and it won't let me remove VVM...What are my other options?"

What do you mean? Did you change the line from True to False and re-load it or did it not work for you? If you did and it still didn't allow you to un-select the VVM then I have no idea what else you can do.

I am on 4.6 and it worked great after I changed the line(s) to read false.

Chad
    07-10-10 12:20 PM
    "I'm using Desktop Manager Version 5.0.1, and it won't let me remove VVM...What are my other options?"

What do you mean? Did you change the line from True to False and re-load it or did it not work for you? If you did and it still didn't allow you to un-select the VVM then I have no idea what else you can do.

I am on 4.6 and it worked great after I changed the line(s) to read false.

Chad
    I downgraded to DM4.6, and still am unable to select VVM to uninstall. I've changed the line in the file from true to false. I'll try again later.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-10 03:56 PM
    Dude the only way to remove vvm is to use ql commander

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-10 04:00 PM
    I have deleted files as mentioned in previous posts to remove BBM and VVM and now they are gone but I have also lost my spell check. Just sayin, YMMV
    09-14-10 04:40 PM
    thats odd, cause I still have spell check..:/
    09-14-10 06:23 PM
    Yeah, not sure why or even if spell check disappeared at the same time as when I removed the files but it is the only changes I have made recently and the only reason I can think of. Maybe it is just a glitch. I was just hoping someone had a good answer before I reload the freakin os and remove files all over again to see if it caused it or not.

Thanks,
    Chad
    09-14-10 07:37 PM
    i completly removed the vvm file, and everything seems to working perfect
    02-18-11 06:17 PM
    I know this is an old post, but I love this site and consistently find answers. I was SO aggravated at having to listen to every voicemail twice! Finally got rid of visual voice mail with BBSAK. I appreciate the advice!
    04-18-12 06:20 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD