I am new to Blackberry (moving from Symbian S60 3rd Ed). So, what apps do you recommend as 'must have' in 9780? In other threads I saw screenshots with many unfamilier icons. So, please recommend me your most favorits (free or paid).

Here are some of the Apps I intalled:

1. Google Map
    2. BeWeather (Free Version)
    3. BlackBerry Travel
    4. Bloomberg Mobile
    5. Bankarama (no longer available for BB, I installed the Java file of my old S60 version, and it works ok)
    6. Battery Watch (Free)
    7. SBSH Calendar Pro (Trial)

I am thinking to buy the BeWeather full version.

Is "Meter Berry" better than "Battery Watch"? There is no trial version of Meter Berry.

Is there a Calendar app that is like "Handy Calendar" of S60? In particular, I need 'cut', 'copy', and 'paste'. SBSH Calndar Pro have copy and paste, but Blackberry native Calendar does not have those feathers. Any recommendation?

I also need:

1. App for Call Manager (to block calls, maintain a 'black list', even maintain a black list of SMS/MMS). Is there a native Call Manager hidden somewhere in my Bold 9780?

2. I will buy "Berry Buzz" to customize the LED. I wish they had a trial version.

3. Any great Checkbook app to keep track of various checking accounts? Bankarama is good, but it behaves strangely as the app is not developed for Blackberry.

4. Any app to put a "weather slot" on the BlackBerry native theme? I really like to have BeWeather icon nicely placed on the top. There must be an app to do that, right? Or, recommend me the best Theme with this capability. I will prefer themes looking similar like 9780's native theme, but if you like something else much better, then please recommend.

5. I cannot set the native alrem clock for 1-time-use only. It either sets for all working days or all 7 days in a week. Am I missing someting, or I need an app for setting 1-time alarm? What app is the best?

6. Is there an app to keep the backlight on as long as I like (something like S60SponOn in Symbian), and also to use the flash LED as a Search Light?

7. Is there a free PDF file viewer?

8. Is there a Adobe Flash Player?

9. Is there a Real Player?

10. Is there a good app for Internet Radio?

11. Any solid File Manager?

Please recommend any other app you like and/or use frequently.

Anyone developed an app to open the engineering menu?

I will also buy the RCP tone package. It has a collection of wonderful 'professional office' type ringtones and beeps etc.

Is it worth to upgrade to the full version of "Documents-to-Go"? How do I do the upgrade?

Anything else?

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your help.

Tintin
    03-08-11 01:36 AM
    You have got most of the essential one.

For more info regarding Apps for your bb.

Go to http://forums.crackberry.com/forumdi...aysprune=&f=35
    03-08-11 01:43 AM
    You should definitely get the FULL version of BeWeather as its half off today at $5 ($10 regular)
    03-08-11 02:15 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/ber...4-99-a-592971/

BerryWeather discounted at only $5 USD!!!!
    evil.bunny likes this.
    03-08-11 02:39 AM
    For alarms, you might want to try out BBSmart Alarms Pro. (Not free)
    And here's a good app that might come in handy if ever you need something like it - "BlackBook" (Not free)
    It seems like your pretty much ok with the apps that are installed on your phone.
    03-08-11 02:53 AM
    Haven't tried it but 'The Jared Company' has an app called 'Who Is It-LED Light Alerts for Contacts', it might be worth a try. (free)

10 - I like 'TuneIn Radio' myself. (free)

'Poynt' is worth while having for when you're on the go, yellow/white pages, map it, restaurants, movies, events. (free)

'Message Prevue' is a good pop-up preview app for sms/e-mails from 'The Jared Company' ($1.99)
    03-08-11 04:09 AM
    Take a look at QuickLaunch as well..excellent app.
    03-08-11 09:45 AM
    It is no wonder people don't search the forums, the engine used gets worse every day! Did you know the words must and have get scrapped of the search??

13 MUST HAVE Applications for your 9780!

Post Your Top Five "MUST-HAVE" Apps for BB 8530 Here!
    03-08-11 09:50 AM
    Why BerryWeather is called BeWeather in Blackberry App World? Are they exactly the same?

Also the 50% discount is not available in the Blackberry App World!

Tintin
    03-08-11 02:20 PM
    It is no wonder people don't search the forums, the engine used gets worse every day! Did you know the words must and have get scrapped of the search??

13 MUST HAVE Applications for your 9780!

Post Your Top Five "MUST-HAVE" Apps for BB 8530 Here!

+1

Very well said diegonei, people spend alot of time creating those lists or guides, but people refuse to use the simple search in the forums to find their answers
    03-08-11 02:26 PM
    Why BerryWeather is called BeWeather in Blackberry App World? Are they exactly the same?

Also the 50% discount is not available in the Blackberry App World!

Tintin
    They are the same. Bellshare was required by RIM to drop the "berry" in their software titles. Lame. I generally prefer to buy apps from Mobihand or Crackberry store (they're the same I think).

m
    tintin123456 likes this.
    03-08-11 02:47 PM
    They are the same. Bellshare was required by RIM to drop the "berry" in their software titles. Lame. I generally prefer to buy apps from Mobihand or Crackberry store (they're the same I think).

m

Same here, it is much better, you have all your apps under one account which you can login to anytime, redownload any software you want, or check if there has been any updates sincey ou have purchased these appps
    03-08-11 09:06 PM
    Same here, it is much better, you have all your apps under one account which you can login to anytime, redownload any software you want, or check if there has been any updates sincey ou have purchased these appps
    which, I may add, that appworld can all do.

Although I personally prefer mobihand appstore, saying blatantly that mobi>appworld isn't right. I know many who prefer BBAW due to its easiness and integration.
    03-08-11 09:31 PM
    See comments in red

I am new to Blackberry (moving from Symbian S60 3rd Ed). So, what apps do you recommend as 'must have' in 9780? In other threads I saw screenshots with many unfamilier icons. So, please recommend me your most favorits (free or paid).

Here are some of the Apps I intalled:

1. Google Map
    2. BeWeather (Free Version)
    3. BlackBerry Travel
    4. Bloomberg Mobile
    5. Bankarama (no longer available for BB, I installed the Java file of my old S60 version, and it works ok)
    6. Battery Watch (Free)
    7. SBSH Calendar Pro (Trial)

I am thinking to buy the BeWeather full version. Good app, although I'm still trying to learn the full capacity of everything it can do.

Is "Meter Berry" better than "Battery Watch"? There is no trial version of Meter Berry. I've read a lot of good things about Meter Berry, but I purchased Six Tools, which gives you a battery indicator percentage, three convenience keys, and several other functions. Another good app.

Is there a Calendar app that is like "Handy Calendar" of S60? In particular, I need 'cut', 'copy', and 'paste'. SBSH Calndar Pro have copy and paste, but Blackberry native Calendar does not have those feathers. Any recommendation? I came from a Palm 755p and miss my PIM functions, particularly the great calendar functions. I have yet to find a good calendar app for the BB, although I like SBSH Calendar Pro about the best.

I also need:

1. App for Call Manager (to block calls, maintain a 'black list', even maintain a black list of SMS/MMS). Is there a native Call Manager hidden somewhere in my Bold 9780? There are a number of Call Blocking apps. I have one, but have only used it once. It did its job then. Its called "Call Blocker"

2. I will buy "Berry Buzz" to customize the LED. I wish they had a trial version. Berry Buzz is a great program, but takes a while to explore and utilize its full functionality. Furthermore, it was just updated and the update from forum reports, appears to be buggy. However, I'm sure the developer will get the bugs fixed in short order.

3. Any great Checkbook app to keep track of various checking accounts? Bankarama is good, but it behaves strangely as the app is not developed for Blackberry.

4. Any app to put a "weather slot" on the BlackBerry native theme? I really like to have BeWeather icon nicely placed on the top. There must be an app to do that, right? Or, recommend me the best Theme with this capability. I will prefer themes looking similar like 9780's native theme, but if you like something else much better, then please recommend. There are a number of themes that have this capability. I use the Crackberry Wallpaper Changer, which has the ability to do what you are asking, although I never tired that feature out.

5. I cannot set the native alrem clock for 1-time-use only. It either sets for all working days or all 7 days in a week. Am I missing someting, or I need an app for setting 1-time alarm? What app is the best? There are a number of alarm apps, which I personally have been trying out. Unfortunately there is no clear winner IMHO. Some require you to unlock your phone before being able to turn off the alarm. Some don't let you know if the alarm is set, some don't have timers, etc. Best way to figure out which one will work best for you is to try them out (at least the ones that allow a trial).

6. Is there an app to keep the backlight on as long as I like (something like S60SponOn in Symbian), and also to use the flash LED as a Search Light?

7. Is there a free PDF file viewer?

8. Is there a Adobe Flash Player?

9. Is there a Real Player?

10. Is there a good app for Internet Radio?

11. Any solid File Manager?File Scout is reportedly very good.

Please recommend any other app you like and/or use frequently.

Anyone developed an app to open the engineering menu?

I will also buy the RCP tone package. It has a collection of wonderful 'professional office' type ringtones and beeps etc.

Is it worth to upgrade to the full version of "Documents-to-Go"? How do I do the upgrade? Docs to Go Premium not only allows editing, but it also gives you a PDF reader. Some swear by RepligoReader though for PDFs. As for creating new documents on your Docs2Go, you might look at SmartBDocs as its a cheaper alternative than buying the Docs2Go premium version.

Anything else?

Thanks everyone. Really appreciate your help.

Tintin
    diegonei and tintin123456 like this.
    03-08-11 11:36 PM
    BeBuzz is a must. The latest version does have a few bugs but it added a "Toast" feature like Growler on a Mac. When messages come in to various email accounts, you can choose to have a pop-up appear on screen, even lighting up your screen to do so. Really nice feature.
    03-09-11 06:32 PM
    PocketInformant is hands-down the best calendar app I've ever used. (I've used PocketDay, SBSH, Agendus and mProductive, and always come back to Pocket Informant for it's easy UI and massive customization options (you can change everything from the colour of the calendar to the size of the font in seperate views! It's great!)

Welcome to WebIS.net - Pocket Informant BlackBerry
    03-10-11 04:44 AM
    Thank you all for a GREAT post. Very helpful indeed. Please keep on posting more of your recommendations. Thanks very much, much appreciated.

Tintin
    03-11-11 11:56 PM
    I found 2 GREAT very useful apps:

1. BackLight ON: It adds a menu item to switch-on/off the backlight. No settings, no complication, just adds a menu item (cannot see the app anywhere else, except in app manager). It is available in the Crackberry App store, but the link for trial is incorrect. Try instead:

Backlight ON app for BlackBerry

2. Flash Light: It also adds a menu item which you can use to activate the video LED to use it as a flash light. The menu item is the main usefulness. Trial:

Flashlight app for BlackBerry

In fact there are many nice and small apps written by these guys. I haven't tried any other, but please post if you try and find any of these useful.

http://www.getempower.com/mobile/

Thanks,
    Tintin
    03-13-11 01:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD