Hi, I am working on an app (testing on bold 9700 simulator) (will work on other blackberries as well)

What is does is upon receiving an incoming call that is not in your address book, it performs a reverse lookup on the number.

From the the lookup, it will display (in addition to any info already present) the Name and location of the caller.

If the lookup fails (example, cell phones are not able to be reversed) it will display the location based on area code.

Is anyone interested in such an app? I know some exist already, but they don't display the info while the phone is ringing.

I have it working in the simulator now, but would need to pay RIM for their signed API's in order to begin testing on actual devices.

Features:
    -Reverse lookup of phone number
    -Area code based location (ie city/region/country)
    -displays info while phone is ringing, and not when the call is ended
    -Multiple connection options (WIFI, BIS/BES etc)

I want this to be a very simple app, which runs only in the background using very little memory.

Anyways, if this is a good idea I would be looking for people willing to test it out later on.

I have looked around, but most apps have pretty low reviews, and only work after the call has ended (obviously for this to work you need a device capable of simultaneous data+voice, all 3G phones support this, and wifi is also another option).

Thanks!
    04-26-10 07:20 PM
    would be a good app, but such apps have in the past have been stopped due to patents with cityid.
    04-26-10 07:56 PM
    I would love to try this on my 9700 (in Europe - hopefully, the lookup url is configurable).

The Reverse Lookup within AddOnIs doesn't function at all for me (and their support has ignored my Qs).
    04-26-10 08:24 PM
    i would like to test out your app..ive got a 9700, pm me and let me know
    04-26-10 08:25 PM
    Thanks for all the feedback,

There was an app a while ago which was shtu down because it offered the location display based on area code iirc. This is obviously something I need to look into more.

With regards to europe, I do not have a source yet for a reverse lookup there. I am still working on it though (any websites etc that are used commonly there?)

Also the app is not ready to send out yet, before I can test it on an actual phone and not just the simulator I need to buy access to sign my program from RIM (otherwise apps are limited in what they can do)

So it could be a few weeks before it is ready - not sure.

Thanks for the interest!
    04-26-10 08:30 PM
    [...]
    With regards to europe, I do not have a source yet for a reverse lookup there. I am still working on it though (any websites etc that are used commonly there?)
    It'll be different from country to country... Hence, my suggestion making the Lookup URL configurable.

Also the app is not ready to send out yet, before I can test it on an actual phone and not just the simulator I need to buy access to sign my program from RIM (otherwise apps are limited in what they can do)
    [...]
    Can't you just compile it as an unsigned app (for testing)?
    04-26-10 08:46 PM
    Sounds interesting.... I would test it.
    I have one program now and all it gives is the area
    04-26-10 08:59 PM
    I'd test it.
    If it'll work on my 8330m lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-26-10 09:57 PM
    I can compile it, but it will not run on an actual device. From what I have read on the API's in order to:

1-start on device power on
    2-update information on the call screen (incomming, outgoing etc screens)

The code needs to be signed: BlackBerry - Java Code Signing Keys

As far as a customizable URL, that isn't really possible.. Most sites I have seen do not allow reverse lookup via some API, you need to scrape the data from an actual webpage.. Each site would be therefore be different.

This is why it is hard to make a single app for all area codes etc, 411.com only has US/Canada info and I'm sure other countries only have listings for themselves.

It is possible to setup different scrapers based on each site, but it becomes harder to maintain, not to mention in violation of the Terms and Conditions on most sites (ie, "you are not allowed to redistribute any data from this site..")..

I will keep working on it though.
    04-26-10 10:28 PM
    Sounds like a nice app. I'd be willing to test it for you.
    04-26-10 11:16 PM
    I don't think you can receive data while having a call incoming, so while it works in the simulator, it probably won't work on CDMA devices.
    04-26-10 11:29 PM
    I don't think you can receive data while having a call incoming, so while it works in the simulator, it probably won't work on CDMA devices.
    I was thinking the same thing...to circumvent that issue, the developer could have a data base stored on the device/app which the BB could refer to when an incoming call um is coming in...and then display based on area code at the minimum?

I use City ID extensively and knowing which city and state a call is from helps me decide on answering it or not.
    04-27-10 07:03 AM
    I would love to be a tester.
    04-27-10 07:54 AM
    I was thinking the same thing...to circumvent that issue, the developer could have a data base stored on the device/app which the BB could refer to when an incoming call um is coming in...and then display based on area code at the minimum?

I use City ID extensively and knowing which city and state a call is from helps me decide on answering it or not.
    That's purely a CDMA limitation. However, a WiFi lookup can be achieved with WiFi-enabled BB's (for CDMA devices).

Keeping a local database would "bloat" the app and need constant maintenance of the db.
    04-27-10 08:25 AM
    I wonder if he can get around that flaky patent by having ALL information looked up, including name, city, state, address but "allowing" the user to only selectively show the fields they want. Isn't the patent related to city lookup? Or is all of
    CALLER-ID patented?
    04-27-10 08:45 AM
    This is what I have been looking for as long it is not a monthly subscription fee base.
    04-28-10 04:21 PM
    Good question about the patent etc.

I have a found a number of places where you can purchase a database of all area codes, and use it for whatever app you like (as long as the user cannot download the database in its entirety).

I don't see how you could patent looking up the city+region based on area code, since that is what they are for basically anyways.. (I am no patent expert, and this is just common sense I am using..)

I agree a simple configuration page to select what info would be great, as well as customize some things like font etc.

Anyways here is a screenshot of the app in action:

04-28-10 06:18 PM
    Some more details on the app:

-I still need to get the API keys from RIM before I can post a download - may take a week or more (as per their site).

-I haven't tested it on a real device (see above) so I don't know how well it works yet (how long to download the call information etc).

-Originally I had it designed to send the phone number to a server application which performed the lookup. I decided it would be better (depending on speed issues!) to do the lookup right from the device.

-Currently has access to information from 411.ca and 411.info only - so US/Canada. International can be added though.
    Last edited by cmolson; 04-28-10 at 06:43 PM.
    04-28-10 06:27 PM
    I'll test it out....

Good question about the patent etc.

I have a found a number of places where you can purchase a database of all area codes, and use it for whatever app you like (as long as the user cannot download the database in its entirety).

I don't see how you could patent looking up the city+region based on area code, since that is what they are for basically anyways.. (I am no patent expert, and this is just common sense I am using..)

I agree a simple configuration page to select what info would be great, as well as customize some things like font etc.

Anyways here is a screenshot of the app in action:

04-28-10 09:02 PM
    I'd be happy to test it.
    04-28-10 10:15 PM
    I would also be happybto test. I have the Storm2 on VZW but thankfully it has wifi.
    04-29-10 08:17 AM
    So are you just willing to spend your money and not really see if you are going to get shut down?

It seems almost inevitable that if it works AND you distribute it, you're going to get a nasty gram! :P

But I'd do it too just to have on my own phone even if I couldn't distribute or sell to others.
    04-29-10 08:28 AM
    I would be willing to test it out, also!
    04-29-10 08:53 AM
    i would be interest in testing this out.
    04-29-10 09:26 AM
    I would also be very willing to test!
    04-29-10 09:35 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD